Roooney's red card - implications?

Comments

• jonboy35jonboy35 Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    belfastkid wrote: »
    OH PLEASEEEE. FFS he slags Liverpool off just as much. All he talked about was that the fans didnt give Woy Hodgeson enough time...but anyway this is off topic.

i know what you are saying, it just seems this way , and i am a blackpool fan , so man utd and liverpool dont bother me.

plus one other thing, england are a 1 man team.:rolleyes:

the other players are not going are they.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget his cousin is Lampard, so he is immune from criticism from Jamie. ;)

forgot about this as well. he would never slag of lampard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget his cousin is Lampard, so he is immune from criticism from Jamie. ;)

Yep was terrible of Lampard to kick out at that player and get sent off.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonboy35 wrote: »
    here we go , lets hammer wayne rooney.

yes it is a red card and yes he is stupid for what he did , but thats is it was stupid, if you watch what he did , he said sorry to the ref after he did it , he knew straight away he did wrong. lets just leave him now, but no , its wayne rooney, so lets hammer him.

and jamie redknapp can f### off. he is so biased , as he is a liverpool fan.

if this was steven gerrard, or , any other player jamie would not be like this.

Eh? When is kicking an opponent deliberately not a reason to slate ANY player? He's lacks discipline in many aspects of his game and is probably missing for two of our group games at least which could be very costly. He deserves everything he gets - he takes the plaudits so he should also take the criticism for something so stupid.

I'm a Liverpool fan and would criticise Gerrard if he did the same as it's indefensible - you couldn't even call it retaliation as an excuse.

There's no doubting his talent but he's never going to change his temperament sadly - he's impulsive and unpredictable in both good and bad ways and we just have to put up with it as we don't really have a ready replacement.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,989
    Forum Member
    Disappointing for Rooney...just when you think he has clamed down Wayne get himself sent off.

Will he be picked if banned for 3 games I wonder.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    He was frustrated, lost his temper kicked out and immediately realised he'd messed up. There's no defending it but no point in over analysing it.

He messed up, the first time he has in a while, maybe he'll learn maybe he won't but this isn't anything new, he has a temper, tonight it got the better of him.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just had a thought, one of the impications of this, might be that Rooney is selected for the Olympic team (as one of the over-age players), as it has already been announced that no-one will play in both the Euro finals, and the Olympic team, if Rooney is not selected for the Euro's, will he then be selected for the Olympic team?

That could be one unintended consequence of this sending off.
  • belfastkidbelfastkid Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh joy the BBC has just confirmed what I fear. Get ready for the papers to be full of:

"ROONEY'S DAD NICKED!! WAYNE NOT IN RIGHT FRAME OF MIND AND SEES RED!!!!"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just had a thought, one of the impications of this, might be that Rooney is selected for the Olympic team (as one of the over-age players), as it has already been announced that no-one will play in both the Euro finals, and the Olympic team, if Rooney is not selected for the Euro's, will he then be selected for the Olympic team?

That could be one unintended consequence of this sending off.

:p:p:p Yeah and theres a chance i may get called up to replace him.

No way on this earth will he NOT be selected to go to the Euro's
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    Roo is a ****.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    Eh? When is kicking an opponent deliberately not a reason to slate ANY player? He's lacks discipline in many aspects of his game and is probably missing for two of our group games at least which could be very costly. He deserves everything he gets - he takes the plaudits so he should also take the criticism for something so stupid.

I'm a Liverpool fan and would criticise Gerrard if he did the same as it's indefensible - you couldn't even call it retaliation as an excuse.

There's no doubting his talent but he's never going to change his temperament sadly - he's impulsive and unpredictable in both good and bad ways and we just have to put up with it as we don't really have a ready replacement.

i do agree with what you are saying , he takes the plaudits and now he deserves the stick he gets. but , its because he is wayne rooney, the name wayne rooney if you know what i am trying to say. if it was a lesser name he would not get the stick , its just this what angers me. but hey i know what you are saying.
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,330
    Forum Member
    Beckham 98, Rooney 06 and the fans went wild... What happened next?

I'm so happy Rooney's seen red as history has proven itself to repeat itself....
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unleash him in the quarter finals !!
    Yeah, if only we'd reach 'em
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonboy35 wrote: »
    i do agree with what you are saying , he takes the plaudits and now he deserves the stick he gets. but , its because he is wayne rooney, the name wayne rooney if you know what i am trying to say. if it was a lesser name he would not get the stick , its just this what angers me. but hey i know what you are saying.

Ah but it's BECAUSE he's Wayne Rooney that he deserves the stick if you sit back and think about it - an experienced, established England international who is idolised by many and considered a talisman. I'd excuse a 18 year old rookie if he did something as impetuous but Rooney has literally no excuses at all and should have done a Beckham a learned a very valuable lesson after the Portugal sending off.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he does get a 3 game ban, any chance England could not pick him in the squad, so he gets a nice rest in the summer and is back and raring to go for the people who pay his wages, and won't turn on him for the slightest thing? He had the summer off this year, and it's worked wonders. Besides, even if he had no ban, he'd probably get blamed for England getting knocked out anyway.

It is amazing how the other 10 players will probably escape virtually scot-free for their roles in tonight's 2nd half mess. Plus, if Capello had replaced Bent with another striker, instead of bringing Lampard on to give the ball away and generally get in the way, then Rooney wouldn't have been chasing his own tail upfront, and the growing frustration that led to him kicking out might not have occured.

Oh, and Jamie Redknapp is a cock, that is all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,864
    Forum Member
    Why do suspensions & bookings from the qualifiers carry over into the tournament?

Wouldn't it be better if all cards were wiped after the qualifiers and all teams started Euro 2012 with a clean slate?
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    Roo is a ****.

Sometimes you think 'does a website built around television and mindless gossip really have much use for a sporting section?' and then I'm reminded that yes, yes it does.
  • Plant_PiePlant_Pie Posts: 3,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was just a complete stupid moment.Not like it was bad tackle,he lashed out. But even so I couldnt see us getting far even if we did have him to play in the Euros.

There plenty of players who can replace him its not like he's the only option.A good one to have mind but hey..time to try other things out and all before it all starts
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    If he does get a 3 game ban, any chance England could not pick him in the squad, so he gets a nice rest in the summer and is back and raring to go for the people who pay his wages, and won't turn on him for the slightest thing? He had the summer off this year, and it's worked wonders. Besides, even if he had no ban, he'd probably get blamed for England getting knocked out anyway.

It is amazing how the other 10 players will probably escape virtually scot-free for their roles in tonight's 2nd half mess. Plus, if Capello had replaced Bent with another striker, instead of bringing Lampard on to give the ball away and generally get in the way, then Rooney wouldn't have been chasing his own tail upfront, and the growing frustration that led to him kicking out might not have occured.

Oh, and Jamie Redknapp is a cock, that is all.

I guess, then, that you're one of those increasingly large band of fans that put club before country. I just don't understand that at all and, evidently, some of the players don't have the same patriotism either - ironically, Rooney's one of the few that seem to care when he puts on an England shirt.

Playing for your country used to be a real honour and players would see it as the pinnacle in footballing achievement. Now money's their God and Wembley is as familiar to them as the local Bentley showroom is. Being an England international is no longer the massive tick in their CV that it once was as even young, fringe Premier League players think they've made it due to the size of their wage packet.

So I applaud Rooney's passion for England as well as deplore his stupidity. If you just care about United, so be it - but I suspect you'll be onside when things are going well...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Big arguement between presenters Darren Fletcher and Robbie Savage on Radio 5 live re this, if Rooney got a 3 game ban.

Fletcher's like definitely wouldn't take Rooney, implied he wouldn't take anyone in such a situation including Messi !.

Savage totally for still taking Rooney, and a bit aghast.

Don't always agree with Robbie, but definitely this time. To me, you've got a big enough squad, and almost always there's at least one midfielder that never gets on the pitch let alone starts a match, and many people can see who that's likely to be in advance. Also the likely squad will have some vertsatile backs and midfielders, The opportunity is there to take an extra striker. There's more than big enough a squad still for the first 3 matches.

It's a possible minor, very minor handicap in the group stage being one player short, but presuming England have real pretentions of doing something in the knockout stages to me they must take their most potent forward player and that's Wayne Rooney even if he gets a 3 match ban.

If they don't get through the group, it wouldn't be down to the squad being effectively one player short for these three matches, it would be down to just being not good enough, simple as.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But then we have a fresh Wazza in the quarters or whenever, which will boost the team and our form.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    Roo is a ****.

Better than whatever tosser you have upfront for your shit team. :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    Big arguement between presenters Darren Fletcher and Robbie Savage on Radio 5 live re this, if Rooney got a 3 game ban.

Fletcher's like definitely wouldn't take Rooney, implied he wouldn't take anyone in such a situation including Messi !.

Savage totally for still taking Rooney, and a bit aghast.

Don't always agree with Robbie, but definitely this time. To me, you've got a big enough squad, and almost always theretre's at least one midfielder that never gets a match, and many peoplel can see who that's likely yo be in advance. Also the liley squad will have some vertsatile backs and midfielders, The opportunity is there to take an extra striker. There's more than big enough a squad still for the first 3 matches.

It's a possible minor, very minor handicap in the group stage being one player short, but presuming England have real pretentions of doing something in the knockout stages to me they must take their most potent forward player and that's Wayne Rooney even if he gets a 3 match ban.

Yep cannot see the reason for not taking him, and like he wouldn't want to go, if they are not good enough to get through the groups without one player, then we are in serious trouble.

No doubt England are a better side with him, i can see him being banned for two games and knowing England we will need a result in the last game to get through, as TheSloth says Rooney is one of those who WANTS to play, so do England penalize him twice?

Utd fans may have some wierd reasons why he shouldn't go but are the first to bang their chests when he plays out of his skin, the only reason he shouldn't go is if he himself says no.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Also if they reach the quater finals, having picked an extra forward for the squad, they then really have that extra forward which will be no bad thing, given England managers traditionally seem to potentially leave themselves short up front.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plant_Pie wrote: »
    There plenty of players who can replace him its not like he's the only option.

Who? Andy Carroll? :p

Maybe Matty Harrold who has played Bristol/Shrewsbury/Wycombe deserves a call up? He's second best to Rooney compared to whoever else we have, to be honest.