Hi

Was just wondering is it an hour episode or half an hour

cheers

Comments

• Options
    smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An hour long episode, 9:45 on Christmas day :)
  • Options
    pstewart90pstewart90 Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank You really looking forward to this the perfect end to the day
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I'm going to be abroad for five weeks from Friday on - I'll be thinking of you all enjoying my favourite sitcom. :(

It's the only thing that keeps me going knowing I have that on my planner - last year I was gutted.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and its called jellylegs
  • Options
    Fat BuddhaFat Buddha Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully it'll be considerably better than the last 2 Christmas specials, which IMO were an utter disappointment. It appears to be going the way of Only Fools which was several editions past its' sell by date.
  • Options
    mia75mia75 Posts: 9,352
    Forum Member
    I loved 'Joe's Crackers', but the episodes away from the house just didn't work for me.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Really excited-They've had two years to work on it so it had better be good. :D Although, in my view they peaked with Queen of Sheba which was quite possibly one of the greatest specials of any comedy ever-I'm in absolute floods of tears whether laughter or genuine emotion. If the new one can capture half that then it'll be incredible :)
  • Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    mia75 wrote: »
    I loved 'Joe's Crackers', but the episodes away from the house just didn't work for me.

This. I think they realised that episodes set mostly outside the house do not work, so Joe's Crackers was a lot better.
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fat Buddha wrote: »
    Hopefully it'll be considerably better than the last 2 Christmas specials, which IMO were an utter disappointment. It appears to be going the way of Only Fools which was several editions past its' sell by date.

Excluding The Queen of Shiba, The Golden Eggcup is the best episode of The Royle Family!
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteelEdge wrote: »
    This. I think they realised that episodes set mostly outside the house do not work, so Joe's Crackers was a lot better.
    this Christmas special see's Dave & Jim pitch an idea on The Dragons Den could be funny but would rather an episode set just in the house like the first three series of the show
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and its called jellylegs

That's the company that co-produces it.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excluding The Queen of Shiba, The Golden Eggcup is the best episode of The Royle Family!

It was the worst.

And TQoS is overated as well.

The last one was good.
  • Options
    FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this Christmas special see's Dave & Jim pitch an idea on The Dragons Den could be funny but would rather an episode set just in the house like the first three series of the show

Actually, the listings say Dave...
    PLOTS to pitch an idea to Dragons' Den, not that he actually will. There's no way they'll actually have him on the show... that would be Children in Need sketch territory

If they set foot out of the house in this episode, they'll need a very good reason for doing it - it's why the brief hospital section worked in Queen of Sheba.
  • Options
    Tarriq IbrahimTarriq Ibrahim Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    The Queen Of Sheba was overrated!? It's one of the most remarkable pieces of television I've ever seen
  • Options
    nightlightnightlight Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    I thought The Queen Of Sheba was a tad mawkish in places - the most moving moment by far is the montage of Jim & Norma with A Thing Called Love playing over it,

The Golden Eggcup is certainly my favourite out of all the post-series specials.
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    Really excited-They've had two years to work on it so it had better be good. :D Although, in my view they peaked with Queen of Sheba which was quite possibly one of the greatest specials of any comedy ever-I'm in absolute floods of tears whether laughter or genuine emotion. If the new one can capture half that then it'll be incredible :)

'The Queen of Sheba' was an almost-perfect ending to this great show, (perhaps only lacking in the fact that a few of the original characters were missing, but their absences were believable.)

The shows since then have been an example of a show which has continued for the sake of it, or for money, or network pressure, or boredom for the writers or whatever other reason, because it just shouldn't have continued past The Queen of Sheba at all.

The Royle family's brilliance was in the fact it barely even left the living room of the Royle household, let alone left the actual house. The two Christmas specials I've seen - there may have been more, I've given up watching this - took the show away from the house, to Dave and Denise's house and to a caravan and were pretty awful in my eyes. It just didn't feel like the Royle Family we were watching, it felt like watching the same characters thrown into another sitcom.

Another thing which made The Royle Family great was it's understated humour, it was all in the things the characters said and the looks they gave each other in that living room. To see the attempted almost slapstick humour of Dave and Denise trying to defrost and cook the turkey - at one point kicking it along the corridor because it was too heavy, if I remember rightly - just wasn't The Royle Family. It looked like a scene which would have been more suited to a show like Only Fools and Horses or One Foot In the Grave, if the scene was done well, but truthfully it just looked like a scene from some sort of bad sitcom.

I have the 'complete' Royle Family boxset which goes up as far as The Queen Of Sheba episode and I think that's the way I'd like to remember it and I'll just pretend these Christmas episodes didn't exist. It's strange because Aherne and Cash must be two very switched on people, to come up with a sitcom of such observational genius as this, so I find it bizarre that they would let it fall from grace like this, not only by making new episodes after bringing it to a brilliant conclusion but by making these new episodes so very different to the format which made the show brilliant in the first place.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member

That seems a bit far fetched.

Like the other year defrosting the turkey in the bath ... while they were in it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    Fat Buddha wrote: »

And Benidorm :(
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    'The Queen of Sheba' was an almost-perfect ending to this great show, (perhaps only lacking in the fact that a few of the original characters were missing, but their absences were believable.)

The shows since then have been an example of a show which has continued for the sake of it, or for money, or network pressure, or boredom for the writers or whatever other reason, because it just shouldn't have continued past The Queen of Sheba at all.

The Royle family's brilliance was in the fact it barely even left the living room of the Royle household, let alone left the actual house. The two Christmas specials I've seen - there may have been more, I've given up watching this - took the show away from the house, to Dave and Denise's house and to a caravan and were pretty awful in my eyes. It just didn't feel like the Royle Family we were watching, it felt like watching the same characters thrown into another sitcom.

Another thing which made The Royle Family great was it's understated humour, it was all in the things the characters said and the looks they gave each other in that living room. To see the attempted almost slapstick humour of Dave and Denise trying to defrost and cook the turkey - at one point kicking it along the corridor because it was too heavy, if I remember rightly - just wasn't The Royle Family. It looked like a scene which would have been more suited to a show like Only Fools and Horses or One Foot In the Grave, if the scene was done well, but truthfully it just looked like a scene from some sort of bad sitcom.

I have the 'complete' Royle Family boxset which goes up as far as The Queen Of Sheba episode and I think that's the way I'd like to remember it and I'll just pretend these Christmas episodes didn't exist. It's strange because Aherne and Cash must be two very switched on people, to come up with a sitcom of such observational genius as this, so I find it bizarre that they would let it fall from grace like this, not only by making new episodes after bringing it to a brilliant conclusion but by making these new episodes so very different to the format which made the show brilliant in the first place.

Moving out of the house wasn't clever and killed the show in many's eyes but it sounds like you've not seen Joe's Crackers which imo was a classic Royle Family mix of bittersweet comedy and well worth a watch. The synopsis for this one has me worried, but I'll give it a chance as I don't know how they'll handle it yet
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moving out of the house wasn't clever and killed the show in many's eyes but it sounds like you've not seen Joe's Crackers which imo was a classic Royle Family mix of bittersweet comedy and well worth a watch. The synopsis for this one has me worried, but I'll give it a chance as I don't know how they'll handle it yet

Was 'Joe's Crackers' last year? I think I've only seen two specials after The Queen Of Sheba, so must have chosen not to watch that one. I'll see if I can locate it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Why do they keep regurgitating this every year ??
  • Options
    FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree that Joe's Crackers was the best of the post-Queen of Sheba specials, and at the time I thought it was a complete return to form. But if you actually watch it back to back with some of Series 1 (which I did a few weeks back), you realise how much the characters have changed. The humour, too, is much meaner - for want of a better word. Series 1 is sheer brilliance, and it's a pity to see how much it's changed for the worst. It's still very enjoyable, but hardly the same show.

I wish they'd finished with the Queen of Sheba which - IMO (as for many on here) - was one of the most perfect pieces of TV I've ever seen.
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    doe_a_deer wrote: »

Well said.

It lost its magic for me when they took it away from the Royle's house. The difference in quality was huge.

I'll still be tuning in and hoping that it's good though.
  • Options
    thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone see the clip of this years special on Loose Women? From the few seconds they showed it looked dreadful.

It involved Joe being 'dressed' by the Royles - on the kitchen table, no less - all set to music, with Dave and Jim shaving him and Denise and Barbra spraying deodorant under his arms.

What happened to this once brilliant show?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I hope it's better than the 2010 Christmas special