characters who were spitefully killed off?

adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know pam st clement only wanted a break from EE but they wasnt happy and killed off pat for spite plus I know Cheryl Ferguson who played heather didnt want her character to be killed off! Does anyone else know of any characters killed off out of anger?

Comments

• QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Devon Anderson in EastEnders who played Billie was SPITEFULLY killed off by Bryan Kirkwood
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QueenAmy wrote: »
    Devon Anderson in EastEnders who played Billie was SPITEFULLY killed off by Bryan Kirkwood

Was going to say this, its true!
  • adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QueenAmy wrote: »

Yea for some reason he always hated devon it showed when he recast his character in HO
  • Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiff Mitchell in EE
  • iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    Bobby_Marz wrote: »
    Tiff Mitchell in EE
    She was not spitefully killed off...
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Den Watts
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pete Beale
    Because he made comments about the BBC and the show after they axed him.
  • ameredithameredith Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viv Hope on Emmerdale.
  • Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Bobby_Marz wrote: »
    Tiff Mitchell in EE

I agree.
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the Heather one was particularly spiteful. If the actor wants to stay then it's sad, but that doesn't necessarily mean that killing off that character is a personal attack on them!
  • Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    ameredith wrote: »
    Viv Hope on Emmerdale.

Yep. Awful treatment from the producer, towards this actress.
  • CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pauline Fowler- the way she was killed off anyway.
  • Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kathy Beale and Angie Watts, because they didn't agree to come back when the BBC asked them. Leslie Grantham had to be pestered for years to return and I think both Anita and Gillian would have done by now if the characters weren't killed off.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Martine McCutcheon was launching a pop career and expected time off when she needed it. The bosses didn't see it like that and killed Tiffany off.

The way they treated Wendy Richard was appalling. Wendy said she hated what they did to her character in her last months on the show. She said the nastiness and spitefulness was not the Pauline she'd known for 20 years. In the end, she gave up arguing with them, did the job and left.

Killing off Pat was one of the most idiotic things they ever did.
  • CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cindy Beale. I read an interview with the producer responsible and even when he tries to dress it up as being for storyline reasons, it still comes across that she was killed off as she held out for too long to give them an answer about returning to film court scenes.

What happened with Michelle Collins is similar to the current situation that we're seeing onscreen with Alice Branning where the actress refused to come back to film her trial scenes but in this case the writers have worked around it whereas in Cindy's case they didn't.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kim_x wrote: »
    Kathy Beale and Angie Watts, because they didn't agree to come back when the BBC asked them. Leslie Grantham had to be pestered for years to return and I think both Anita and Gillian would have done by now if the characters weren't killed off.

Gillian Taylforth maybe but Anita Dobson kept saying she would never go back. I think they killed Angie off off-screen because they got fed up asking.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gillian Taylforth maybe but Anita Dobson kept saying she would never go back. I think they killed Angie off off-screen because they got fed up asking.

I read am interview with Anita where she seemed less set against a return. Such a shame.
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    iMatt_101 wrote: »
    She was not spitefully killed off...

I think she very definitely was. Probably the most famous spiteful killing in soap history actually. Martine wanted a break to have a singing career, but Matthew Robinson killed her off for getting too big for her boots.
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CPW4EVER wrote: »
    Cindy Beale. I read an interview with the producer responsible and even when he tries to dress it up as being for storyline reasons, it still comes across that she was killed off as she held out for too long to give them an answer about returning to film court scenes.

What happened with Michelle Collins is similar to the current situation that we're seeing onscreen with Alice Branning where the actress refused to come back to film her trial scenes but in this case the writers have worked around it whereas in Cindy's case they didn't.

To be fair to Matthew Robinson, he went completely out of his way to get Michelle Collins to agree to a return. They only asked for two days of filming, but she simply refused to make a decision either way. Robinson said he extended the deadline for her to decide three times to accommodate her, yet she still did not pick up the phone. There's negotiating for a better fee, and then there's taking the absolute piss.

Michelle Collins has also recently taken to Twitter to slate the Corrie producers too, complaining she became a background character and that her exit story is anti-climactic. Allegedly only a handful of her co-stars showed up to her leaving do, as well. She seems rather difficult to work with, if truth be told.
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrJames wrote: »
    I think she very definitely was. Probably the most famous spiteful killing in soap history actually. Martine wanted a break to have a singing career, but Matthew Robinson killed her off for getting too big for her boots.

If I told my boss I wanted a break to do something else, and then go back to my job when I wanted to, I know what he'd say! And acting is after all just that - a job. So I think Matthew Robinson did the right thing.
  • wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ernie Bishop from Corrie.
    He told the producers he wouldn`t sign another contract because he disagreed with how longer term characters at the time like Ken Barlow and Len Fairclough got paid more for doing less episodes.
    So they killed him so they could keep Emily Bishop in the show.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    Den Watts

Agree with this - the biggest character in Eastenders history killed off for having a wank. Grantham himself and many other members of the cast have done far worse in the past. :confused:

A long suspension would have been far better.

Imagine Den stalking around the square now.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In response to the above post, was it not also to do with LG slagging off his co-stars allegedly?
  • bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think killing off Pat was out of spite. It was a short-sighted stunt on behalf of Kirkwood to get ratings.
  • IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barry Evans only wanted a bit of panto, he got shoved off a cliff