Dog claw worry

Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
Forum Member
I tried to cut my dogs claws today and followed the instructions. I thought it had gone ok but the claw is jagged. There was no bleeding so i tried to file it but its still jagged.

Will it sort itself out when he digs and walks outside? Im worried that it might cause him trouble if he snags it on the carpet but i dont want to risk cutting anymore off.

Im worried that when im at work tomorrow he might catch it when theres nobody to keep an eye on him.

Since the cutting hes been walking on it fine and been digging and running on concrete with no problems. (He hasnt paid attentionto the nail or looks in any discomfort.) Will that naturally file it smooth again?

I dont want to keep looking at it and fussing incase he notices something is wrong. When it comes to my dog i tend to worry about him hetting hurt so i might be over reacting. The nail isnt broken, just the tip isnt smooth like it should be.

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What clippers do you use ? Ours the only way to get a jagged edge is by breaking the claw rather than cutting it.

As to the problems it will wear down eventually I would think.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    They are guillotine style ones. They were from the range pet section but were quite cheap.

The dog is due to go to the vets in a few weeks anyway so i think while we are there we will see if the vet can cut them, especially since one claw is black and ive heard they can be hard to cut safely.

Im just a worrier i guess! I just noticed one of his claws i didnt cut is a little bit jaggedy so i guess if they can naturally go like that then he should be ok.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We invested in decent clippers a few years ago made a huge difference to how easy it was to get good results. Italian scissor type, the guillotine ones never stay sharp enough for long we found.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I wanted the buffer style thing that was being advertised on the tv in there. Its a jml product that files away the nails.

But then we thought maybe clippers would be easier because they looked like they probably made a noise which might make the dog reluctant to let us use it. Hes good at letting us touch his feet so we went with clippers. Once hes had them done then ill probably get some better ones.

Just needed a bit of reassurance that he wont do any damage as ive heard that nails can bleed a lot if they are caught.
  • Davetherave70Davetherave70 Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took my dog to the vets to have his claws done the other day, and it was a right ordeal. In the end the vet only clipped off the minutest of bits.

My question is how far down can you cut the claw without it inflicting pain, as some of them are very long?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black nails or white ? white you can see the red line inside and that is where the nerves and blood are, so you never cut further than that. Black not so easy and I err on the side of cuation taking just a teeny bit off at a time.
  • Davetherave70Davetherave70 Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Black nails or white ? white you can see the red line inside and that is where the nerves and blood are, so you never cut further than that. Black not so easy and I err on the side of cuation taking just a teeny bit off at a time.

They're all black as far as I can tell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't attempt black nails I always take them to the vet (along with the dog of course, that sounded like I just took the claws :o ).

It cost approx £15 for our veterinary nurse to cut them well worth the money I felt.
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took my dog to the vets to have his claws done the other day, and it was a right ordeal. In the end the vet only clipped off the minutest of bits.

My question is how far down can you cut the claw without it inflicting pain, as some of them are very long?

basically if you're not sure, then just take off the very tip, just a little bit, but do this regularly, eventually you will train the qwick back, it will effectively get shorter and you'll be able to keep claws shorter.

that's the theory anyway, it never seemed to work with our old girl
    neither did the "look for a qwick" guidelines. it LOOKED like the qwick was nowhere near where i was cutting, but you could guarantee they always bled :(
    poor old girl, she was very forgiving thankfully, and a bit of magnesium permangante soon stopped them bleeding
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My two were due their jabs last week and while we were their they had their claws clipped. Girl dog - minimum of fuss. Job done.

Boy dog - sweet jaysus, you'd have thought he was getting his paw sawed off with a blunt butter knife. It took three to hold him while he had his done. He yowled, whined, screamed and his tail was wagging so much it was a blur. My youngest daughter was almost pulled off her feet in the waiting room when Pixie heard Merlin going on. Pixie was determined to protect her Merlin.

Apart from The Combat Corgis causing total mayhem and terrifying the other dogs, cats, rabbits and other pets in the waiting room I thought all things considered it went well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I won't attempt black nails I always take them to the vet (along with the dog of course, that sounded like I just took the claws :o ).

It cost approx £15 for our veterinary nurse to cut them well worth the money I felt.

My boy had his done last month, he has dodgy leg, and cost £6 at the vets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    My boy had his done last month, he has dodgy leg, and cost £6 at the vets.

Yes prices vary I guess. I thought £15 wasn't bad would have been thrilled at £6 :D