Is anyone else having trouble with the pages flicking about?

Comments

• lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This happens daily on my android phone.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Same on my ipad too. It's the video ad at the top of the page taking ages to load - even though I have super fast fibre. If I scroll down before the ad finishes the page jumps back to the top.

You're right, that's exactly what it is -'Viewster' advert taking ages loading, as far as I can make out.

It's ridiculous that it's just being allowed to carry on. They asked for reports - I sent one yesterday - and nothing's improved, I can't believe that their tech team haven't a clue!
  • ih8mondaysih8mondays Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happening tonight on my iPad and has done on other days too

In fact the worst was in the GD topic list when I was trying to click on this thread!
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes.
    On iPad for a few days.
  • abivanabivan Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mods, I know it's Friday night and you're probably starting the sex threads, but if you get a minute do your job and sort it out.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    It often happens with me in Firefox (like earlier today) - I get an "Unresponsive script" message or it keeps going to the bottom of the page very fast with just 1 or 2 clicks of the mouse :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Im on ipad and it's so annoying, puts me off coming here
  • CosinCosin Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wish they'd sort this out. It always seems to flick at the point of clicking on my intended thread, thus clicking on the wrong one
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazingly it's been ok today. I thought perhaps it had been sorted yet some people seem to still be having trouble with it.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    It often happens with me in Firefox (like earlier today) - I get an "Unresponsive script" message or it keeps going to the bottom of the page very fast with just 1 or 2 clicks of the mouse :mad:

The forums load absolutely fine for me in Firefox every time when everything's okay, but the odd time with Internet Explorer, only a quarter of the forum page loads and I have to refresh the page to get it all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Get rid of the ads if on a PC and enable mobile mode if on a phone or tablet and it's just about bearable.
    Forum Member
    Am getting this nuisance again!

It would be nice to hear from Forum Support to see if anything's being done.

I'm alerting the thread asking for some info.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    It's the flash ads and how they are implemented.

On my Intel i7 4770K, 16GB memory, SSD, Windows 8.1, these are the top 3 processor demands currently, when running Firefox 36.0.1 and nothing else of significance:

9.7% Plugin Container for Firefox (32 Bit)
    5.2% Adobe Flash Player 16.r.0 (32 bit)
    4.9% Firefox (32 bit)
    19.8% out of a total processor load of 21.0%.

Normally Firefox and the other two related programs above use 1% or less between them within 3 seconds of page loads. Scrolling on DS is jerky and slow to respond, even on my system, so good luck to those with lesser setups.

I note that there are currently 4 (yes 4) Kaspersky Flash ads at the same time when on this page so they may be the problem - or may not, if it occurs with other similar flash ads. Four from the same place at the same time is bonkers anyway, that needs sorting out.

I have tried to stop it from displaying Kaspersky ads by googling Renault cars but it hasn't worked yet, I will report back when it changes!

On the other hand, I just visited another well-known forum beginning with ProB [can't say the name as it's blocked, and here I am trying to flipping help!!!] it allows two banner ads per page including basic flash banners of the scrolling/fading kind. Total CPU usage

1.4% Firefox (there's a scrolling non-advertising script on the page)
    0.2% Flash Player
    0.0% Plugin Container
    1.6% out of a total 2% CPU usage.

It's no wonder people resort to ad blocking, is it (no further comment) ! Flawed advertising implementation by DS and/or its advertising agency is the problem - DS *and* the advertisers will take the flak, I suggest that they take a look at the ad types I mentioned above, and stop multiple versions appearing on the same page for starters.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    OK, I finally got this page with no Kaspersky ads. There are: e-on at the top, HTC/giffgaff next down, Boots at the bottom and Now TV below that. Total CPU usage for the programs I mentioned at the top is:

2.6% Plugin Container
    2.0% Firefox
    1.5% Flash
    6.1% out of total CPU usage of 7%.

However, with Sky, Plusnet and some other flash video ads, I am seeing very high CPU usage as well, always involving Plugin Container for Firefox and flash player, so it's not just Kaspersky.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been happening on iPad. Then it rights itself, then a few days later it happens again. Not visiting this site as much as a consequence.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's happening a lot right now.
    When it occurs the Select, Copy, Paste etc option boxes appear too briefly to activate them,
    Forum Member
    Well, I asked DS if they'd like to let us know what's going on, at around 11am - nothing!

Great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind adverts that load quickly, but the ones that take about 6 seconds to load (Internet Explorer), they do get a bit annoying. You just want to navigate quickly once the forum has loaded. You then have to wait for so long for the adverts to fully load. I don't use an ad-blocker for surfing, only when watching videos online if they have adverts before what you want to watch starts. I don't mind if the owners of this site get commission if I click on an advert for something that I've been thinking about getting on Amazon or wherever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I asked DS if they'd like to let us know what's going on, at around 11am - nothing!

Great.

Do the moderators work on a Sunday?
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, have been getting this on my iPad the last few days.

Me too. VERY annoying.
  • FlowesFlowes Posts: 6,983
    Forum Member
    I'm getting this too since Friday. Very annoying, particularly when posting and it's jumping all over the place.

last week it was pages not loading (appeared to only happen when Netflix banner was displayed) and this week it's pages jumping several times.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seemed as if things were back to normal yesterday, so I thought they had sorted it out.
    Now the problem has returned and things are worse than ever.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Do the moderators work on a Sunday?

I don't see why not, they should do - it's not as if the spammers and trolls take Sundays off.

Besides, I also contacted them on Friday and sent in a report that they were asking for regarding the problem. Again - nothing.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful again today. Is anyone else still having problems, or maybe found a solution ?
    Judging by this thread, it must only affect a minority of users. But for me it's practically unusable at present. It's not just the page continually jumping to the top, posting this has been really hard work.
    Come on DS, at least give us some indication that you are aware of the problem.
  • Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been having the same problem for ages now. It hasn't improved.