Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzieblue wrote: »
    I heard that E4 will bring back the return of Peter Cronk who will be working for DM as a learning experience. Could be interesting.

Also, there was a reference to LG being "back"', so I wonder if this means she went to Spain after all.

This is very interesting, mazzieblue. (Are you still there? lucky you.)
    I don't know what to make of the reference of LG being "back." You can get to Spain other than by flying, although with some difficulty. If it was Spain, and that's why she was absent in E1, a la the S4 opener, we don't know how long she stayed but evidently had decided on alternate living arrangements when she got back -- hence the property let flyer. But she could be coming back from almost anywhere, including back to the surgery.

I think Peter Kronk is good news. He was very astute in S1 about Louisa's feelings for Martin, his presence is bound to bring up shared, good memories, and Martin playing a sort of paternal, caring role might even suggest to Louisa that something has changed about him. I can even imagine him directing some provocative questions at one or both of them.

BTW, does it strike anyone else as ironic, that in a Forum clearly labeled as "Spoilers" all the interesting conversation is hidden by Spoilers? I'd be happy to go spoiler free with respect to speculation and random hints, but will continue to defer.
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would too..because it is a spoiler forum....but I will defer. It makes it a just a little more laborious to post and read others posts, but I really don't care THAT much.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I vote for no spoiler brackets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In thinking about whether M and L will reconcile, and how long it will take, I think we have to figure out why L left in the first place. Some will say, it's obvious, he was a jerk. But ...I think we have to decode, "I'm not happy, and I'm not making you happy."

I think it's become clear to Louisa (or Louisa now believes) that Martin is just not able to function in the intimate confines of a marriage, to the point where not only does his phobia return, but he's become physically ill -- losing weight, not sleeping, etc. It's also clear that her offers to help will be rebuffed and that he will continue to deny that he is unable to cope with being married. It is painful to watch him suffer and know that she can't do anything about it and to feel that their relationship has been the proximate cause of his difficulties.

That's one reason she's unhappy. I think the other is that, the same demons that make it difficult for Martin to function in their marriage without breaking down, make it impossible for him to give her anything like the kind of intimate, emotionally relationship that she needs in order to be happy with him.

He may never get to the point of being really emotionally open, but he can probably learn to acknowledge his difficulties with this and make an effort to do better, while Louisa will sooner or later come to terms with the fact that while he may never fully heal, he is "the love of her life" and she has to accept him as he is -- a work in progress. She might also learn to give him a bit more space, while she's at it.

Anyway, I don't think either of these trajectories -- for Martin and Louisa -- is going to be accomplished quickly, b/c it's not as simple as just learning new communication skills, etc.. So this will go down to the wire.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I vote for no spoiler brackets.

I second this. Spoilers in brackets seem completely unnecessary for this forum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    I agree about the Spoilers brackets. Anyone on this site is presumably here because they WANT spoilers.
  • Ms_SarahMs_Sarah Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    NP asks: Have I got it figured out?

You have. Sigh. You have skillfully (and painfully) reminded us of the immensely complicated issues that plague this couple. It prompts another queston - do I have the stomach to endure this again?!?

I agree with you regarding their marriage woes and the dilemma from L's perspective. Until Martin can verbalize his discontent and openly acknowledge to her that he is ill-equipped to be a husband, what of real significance will be accomplished with a few marriage counseling sessions? Perhaps, they will be given the groundwork and learn some communication tools, etc., and the writers could have fun with that, right? In M&L's fragile relationship, that wouldn't be enough, I agree.

NP says:
    It is painful to watch him suffer and know that she can't do anything about it and to feel that their relationship has been the proximate cause of his difficulties.

I hadn't fully considered that but it helps to answer some of our questions as to why she reacted/struggled as she did (need to leave) and her general sense of gloom and sadness revealed in their final scenes Thank you, NP.

I put the following in a SB-it refers to a much earlier spoiler from an article
    Some have suggested that if this is the last season, the show might conclude with M&L committed to "trying" again but the looming question will persist - can the marriage survive. IOW, we're left with more questions than answers :)

In past seasons (read here at DS), the actor usually would give a forecast or synopsis of what was in store for the couple but for this new season he comments that M has to work hard to get his family back. That comment didn't land right for me. LOL No ambiguity - no cryptic messages. Hmm? Prepare for anything, NP. I think that is a safe place to land. I agree with your prediction as to timing and it will be in the final stretch.

A question - when do you think the new season will air in the UK?

I vote for spoiler brackets (I've stopped looking at pics online and spoilers here/there).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm....what to do? I would assume the next few months will deal primarily with spoilers. Opinions?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Hmmmm....what to do? I would assume the next few months will deal primarily with spoilers. Opinions?

There's few enough of us on here that I would hate to drive away some by removing the spoiler bar, if that would be a deal breaker for them.

OTOH, there is another site for extended discussion of themes in Doc Martin, which is spoiler free. docmartinlovers.com Maybe that would be a substitute for those who are intrigued enough by past DM seasons to want to continue discussing it, but don't want to know about current season? I don't know what the blog owner plans to do, though, as filming continues.

I can't recommend the non-spoiler fan sites on FB, for real discussion. They are basically fan sites, largely for appreciation of MC and the show itself.

Those who are concerned about spoilers should be aware that, once the series starts airing in England (sometime in September, if the past is a guide) the spoiler bar comes off, at least for the episodes that have already aired. That's because this site (i.e., Digital Spy) is run from England and was founded by Brits (hello BrendanGirl) and that's where they'll come to talk about episodes as they air.

Some in the U.S. and other sites that are not in the UK have chosen to watch episodes as they air in England using VPNs such as TunnelBear, if that helps. We are hoping that Acorn will do as they did last season -- air each episode on their online TV site, one month after it airs in the UK.
  • earlgrey152earlgrey152 Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    My preference would be for NO spoiler brackets, but only if it won't limit the involvement of other members.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would a compromise be to use the Title Feature in the post, so as to label the post, in bold SERIES 7 INFO?

I would have to say that so far there's as much mystery as clarity provoked by the spoiler postings to date, here and on facebook. There may be bits of info about individual characters, but the main situation is still almost impossible to figure out, and will probably continue to be. There's been no really big clues, like the wedding at the beginning of S6!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a thought, Kate...then we wouldn't have the awkwardness of the spoiler box and the reader could skip it. Not a bad compromise. I'd do it.
    Forum Member
    Spoiler warnings using the Title feature is a good option.

Would the site (BrendanGirl) consider using two threads; one for spoilers and another for discussion? . Unsure of the logistics involved but its an option that could work. Just a suggestion...

Acorn TV - its website says that it hopes to air the new season of DM at the end of the year/2015. That's disappointing news.

I'm considering TunnelBear but I'm still in the ?? mode. I want to watch the new season as it airs (or close to it) instead of waiting for PBS or Acorn, etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ms_Sarah wrote: »

Would the site (BrendanGirl) consider using two threads; one for spoilers and another for discussion? . Unsure of the logistics involved but its an option that could work. Just a suggestion...

Acorn TV - its website says that it hopes to air the new season of DM at the end of the year/2015. That's disappointing news.

I'm considering TunnelBear but I'm still in the ?? mode. I want to watch the new season as it airs (or close to it) instead of waiting for PBS or Acorn, etc.

Ideally, I'd like to wait until I could binge watch the whole series, b/c I'm afraid the week to week suspense is going to be too much for me! But I know I don't have the moral fiber to resist watching each week, assuming I can figure out a VPN and ITV cooperates.

P.S. This is not Kate talking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry NewPark...I was confused. Accept my apology.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

non una problema.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ms_Sarah wrote: »

I've contacted Forum support to ask how to do this, although there are so few of us that I'm not sure it's really feasible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Ideally, I'd like to wait until I could binge watch the whole series, b/c I'm afraid the week to week suspense is going to be too much for me! But I know I don't have the moral fiber to resist watching each week, assuming I can figure out a VPN and ITV cooperates.

P.S. This is not Kate talking.

As the one who brought Tunnel Bear to Doc Martin fans--and I'm delighted so many are using it!--I can say, NewPark, Tunnel Bear is simple.

You can use it for free or for $4.99/month (no contract) get the bigger version. I recommend that. The download takes one minute. Very simple.
    Turn it on--turn it to UK. Wait a few seconds for it to connect.
    Go to the internet and get a London Zip code/postal code
    Go to ITV.com and go to Doc Martin--they will ask you for your English postal code--put it in.
    Watch Doc Martin!

Remember, this is 100% legal. No ifs, ands or buts--it's legal.

Mona
    Forum Member
    I deleted my original question - I read it and laughed. A "duh" moment.

Thanks, Mona, for the info re Tunnelbear.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ha Melinda!

We're both in Michigan - easy to get confused!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Ha Melinda!

We're both in Michigan - easy to get confused!:D

Right, Kate...LOL
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    I recently visited Port Isaac and saw some filming. I have put a bit of what I saw in the spoiler tags.
    The Doc, James and Louisa go on a picnic. Mrs T keeps leaving food on his doorstep and he has to tell her to stop as it attracts Buddy (they must be living apart as if Louisa was there she wouldn't do it). Clive is back and wants to start again with Mrs T and work at the shop with her. Penhale is having a BBQ. Caroline Quentin is a guest in episode 4 as an animal rescue lady who takes in Buddy.

I can link you to some pics if you like. MazzieBlue have you been able to upload yours yet? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently visited Port Isaac and saw some filming. I have put a bit of what I saw in the spoiler tags.
    The Doc, James and Louisa go on a picnic. Mrs T keeps leaving food on his doorstep and he has to tell her to stop as it attracts Buddy (they must be living apart as if Louisa was there she wouldn't do it). Clive is back and wants to start again with Mrs T and work at the shop with her. Penhale is having a BBQ. Caroline Quentin is a guest in episode 4 as an animal rescue lady who takes in Buddy.

OMG. Am I the only one who finds it completely unfunny that Mrs. T is still bothering DM? I cannot believe the show's creators cannot see a dead storyline yet. Though its probably obvious that she and Clive will be driving off into the sunset at some point during the series. The destruction of Mrs. T was one of the worst decisions the show made. I'm neither looking forward to Mrs. T stalking DM nor to Penhale being an idiot policeman, so I hope at least they do not have that going on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    OMG. Am I the only one who finds it completely unfunny that Mrs. T is still bothering DM? I cannot believe the show's creators cannot see a dead storyline yet. Though its probably obvious that she and Clive will be driving off into the sunset at some point during the series. The destruction of Mrs. T was one of the worst decisions the show made. I'm neither looking forward to Mrs. T stalking DM nor to Penhale being an idiot policeman, so I hope at least they do not have that going on.

You'll probably hate it then, Mona, what we've seen so far is a lot of that. We'll see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll probably hate it then, Mona, what we've seen so far is a lot of that. We'll see.

I know! I'm preparing myself emotionally for the good or the bad.
This discussion has been closed.