Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    carol_averycarol_avery Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    I agree w/ New Park and ShopGirl about the events of that morning. That breakfast scene was indeed heartbreaking and the last one in a long line of events where DM rebuffed L's overtures for intimacy and closeness.

I don't think she was running to her mother, but just taking a time out. I don't think she expects much from her mother, just a place to stay in this storm. A time out, as she clearly states. It will be interesting to see if the writers actually have her go to Spain -- or if the threat of going (ie. her needing a time out) is enough of a dramatic event.

Not too much longer now for us to get these answers! phew - it's been a long long time coming
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    This is EXACTLY how I always saw Louisa's internal conversation with herself. For me, the scene in the consulting room that morning was one of the most heartbreaking scenes in all six series. And just minutes later she finds out that he has forgotten something very important that threatens to knock her carefully planned day out of kilter. But she quickly gives him an out and says she will get someone else to do it. She thought he, as the village doctor, would be the perfect person to talk to the children about staying fit and active. And she knows that he has the skills and demeanor to stand in front of a group of children without having stage fright. But she hasn't grasped just how broken he is right now - after that morning's breakfast she thinks his problem is with her. So, she is so emotionally broken by what happened that morning that when he starts going off the rails she is not able to control herself.

After the accident, she is not just emotionally broken, but now physically broken - so she is looking for an off-ramp and it comes to her that she could run to her mother. Maybe this will be the time that mom will be there for her, because she's come to the conclusion that her husband is not.

With all the disappointment and heartache Louisa's mother caused her, isn't it sad that she chose to go to her mother rather than stay with Martin? How must Louisa have felt about Martin to chose her mother over him.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're having a meetup of the Washington Area Doc Martin Fans Group. It will take place on Saturday, July 18 from 2:00pm - 5:30. We would love to have you join us if you can attend all or part of the event. We'll be at Ireland's Four Provinces in Falls Church, VA. Please private message me, email me - oahinson@gmail.com, or better yet, join our meetup group. Membership is free! If you are nearby, we would love to have you attend. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

http://www.meetup.com/The-Washington-Area-Doc-Martin-Fans-Meetup-Group/events/223776969/
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    This is EXACTLY how I always saw Louisa's internal conversation with herself. For me, the scene in the consulting room that morning was one of the most heartbreaking scenes in all six series. And just minutes later she finds out that he has forgotten something very important that threatens to knock her carefully planned day out of kilter. But she quickly gives him an out and says she will get someone else to do it. She thought he, as the village doctor, would be the perfect person to talk to the children about staying fit and active. And she knows that he has the skills and demeanor to stand in front of a group of children without having stage fright. But she hasn't grasped just how broken he is right now - after that morning's breakfast she thinks his problem is with her. So, she is so emotionally broken by what happened that morning that when he starts going off the rails she is not able to control herself.

After the accident, she is not just emotionally broken, but now physically broken - so she is looking for an off-ramp and it comes to her that she could run to her mother. Maybe this will be the time that mom will be there for her, because she's come to the conclusion that her husband is not.

My only wonder about this is WHAT was L thinking having DM even speak to the kids?

Look at his eulogy at AJ's funeral! Hilariously awful!

DM cannot speak to kids in any decent, helpful way, either. He tells them to shoo!, tells them they would have died without him being there, calls them nasty, has no patience for them, etc. I think we can all imagine the talk DM would give: "Some of you are fat, and others of you will probably become fat, like your parents are. Stop eating candy, and get some exercise. Otherwise, you'll develop high blood pressure and diabetes, asthma, and high cholesterol, like your fat, sick parents, and you will die young, after years of poor health. Thank you." ;-)

That's normal, healthy, not depressed DM talking to kids!

How did L not see that DM was by no means able to do what she wanted at the Sports Day? Is this what L was thinking: "Oh, honey, I know you aren't sleeping, are not eating, are miserable about your mother, have your phobia back. I mean, I know you are in some deep dark black hole of depression and unbearable anxiety, but nonetheless don't forget to show up for Sports Day and be cheerful, and talk positively to the kids about being healthy and active!"

Maybe in some alternate universe DM does a wonderful speech to the kids.

But, in our universe, the end result was hardly a surprise!

We can't blame L for this time being so clueless, because I think she was blindly hopeful more than clueless. It seemed to be the straw that broke her back regarding patience with DM, with her losing it so entirely on the stage, but in hindsight, one wonders what in reality she was expecting. I think even if DM had been well, he would have totally blown the Sports Day talk in the unique and special way that only DM can screw it up. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh brilliant. SO spot on.

I stopped watching a long time ago, when DM not only became annoying, but hateful.

Again, Derdekea, brilliant.

Thanks, primosprimos. I've been watching it but this is also my last season if it is not back to some enjoyable basics. I've got my fingers crossed! I know the creators can do it; I just hope they want to do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Thanks, primosprimos. I've been watching it but this is also my last season if it is not back to some enjoyable basics. I've got my fingers crossed! I know the creators can do it; I just hope they want to do it.

MMD. Did you make a Freudian slip when you said "creators" rather than "writers"?
    I have confidence that the creator, Dominic Minghella, could revive the enjoyable basics of the show. Maybe the writers will ask him for some much needed advice
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MMD. Did you make a Freudian slip when you said "creators" rather than "writers"?
    I have confidence that the creator, Dominic Minghella, could revive the enjoyable basics of the show. Maybe the writers will ask him for some much needed advice

Oh, I meant the creators of the seasons now--Crowdy, writers, BP, MC. The whole big bunch of them. Sorry for not being clear.

And, I absolutely agree with you--Minghella could definitely have gotten us back on track so much more easily and effectively. Of course, I truly believe he never would have gotten us so far off track to begin with.
  • Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member

Mona, you have more faith than I do. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a surprise actress showing up in S7, I just learned:
    Sigourney Weaver, (from the "Alien" movies)
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a surprise actress showing up in S7, I just learned:
    Sigourney Weaver, (from the "Alien" movies)
    I wonder if she'll say, "GET AWAY FROM HER YOU BITCH!!!!! LOL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wonder why her, and what role on DM she will play. kewl
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She and Martin Clunes were on that morning show together in the late winter when he was publicizing Arthur and George. I wonder if he pitched her or she pitched him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Poppin' back in after many months. Hi, gang!

I read somewhere that the "surprise actress" and Selina Cadell have been best friends for many years. Looks like Mrs. Tishell had a hand in this one!
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perfect marriage counselor.....too bad she wasn't the first one.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remembered that chat show with them both on it as well. I think that must've been it (or else when he was in NYC w/ "Nativity") that led to the guest role.

Now - what/who is she gonna be? AJ in a dream as a younger woman? ie pre-white hair?? the 2nd marriage counselor? a new doc in town?
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remembered that chat show with them both on it as well. I think that must've been it (or else when he was in NYC w/ "Nativity") that led to the guest role.

Now - what/who is she gonna be? AJ in a dream as a younger woman? ie pre-white hair?? the 2nd marriage counselor? a new doc in town?

If this is E8, I think it's very late for a marriage counselor!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Guesses

Christopher's bit on the side from the States who either wants money or has money for Martin from an unknown American source

Martin's replacement and Martin and Louisa are moving to London. Fans are weary of the M and L will they won't they conflict and counseling will minimally resolve it. Now the conflict to keep the story going is will they won't they stay on London. This allows the Port Wwnn characters to leave the series along with Aunt Ruth who will stay in the village.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guesses

Christopher's bit on the side from the States who either wants money or has money for Martin from an unknown American source

Martin's replacement and Martin and Louisa are moving to London. Fans are weary of the M and L will they won't they conflict and counseling will minimally resolve it. Now the conflict to keep the story going is will they won't they stay on London. This allows the Port Wwnn characters to leave the series along with Aunt Ruth who will stay in the village.

Good thinking. I too think it's very possible that S7 will wrap with them on their way to London, or maybe Truro -- at any rate,elsewhere. That gives closure to the series but leaves the way open for a fresh start, if they decide to do it.

I would add that I think it's possible that it's the desire of Martin to move on from PW that finally decides Louisa to reconcile with him. (It would remain to be seen, however, if she'd still be there, when and if they picked up the story again.)

I think there's no reason to expect the rhythm of the storyline to be different than Series 4, 5, and 6, that is, a long buildup to a last minute (literally) epiphany, only this time it will be Louisa's.
  • Options
    Ms_SarahMs_Sarah Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Some random ?s

Does the forum have more or less spoilers for S7 as compared to previous seasons?

Doc's dad is dead, right? Did Doc have a nanny?

Is there any inside news about a season 8. Do many of you feel that there will be a S8?

If so, is it a given that Louisa/CC won't be part of a new season. I can't imagine L would leave the child or stay in London on her own, so that means she probably dies. Any thoughts?

When MC reportedly said that a S8 would have to have new players - do you think he had her character in mind...???

Its been discussed briefly (not in spoiler bar) that a character dies. Are there rumors
    or speculation who that might be?

Thanks ;-)

I have a thought....LOL. If there is a S8, why can't Louisa stay even if the couple breaks up? They could co-parent and she could remain in the village as HM. Doc can have all the women he wants. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ms_Sarah wrote: »
    Some random ?s

Does the forum have more or less spoilers for S7 as compared to previous seasons?

Doc's dad is dead, right? Did Doc have a nanny?

Is there any inside news about a season 8. Do many of you feel that there will be a S8?

If so, is it a given that Louisa/CC won't be part of a new season. I can't imagine L would leave the child or stay in London on her own, so that means she probably dies. Any thoughts?

When MC reportedly said that a S8 would have to have new players - do you think he had her character in mind...???

Its been discussed briefly (not in spoiler bar) that a character dies. Are there rumors
    or speculation who that might be?

Thanks ;-)

Many less spoilers, but that's because the FB Spoiler pages are so busy.

Some feel that Doc's dad might be alive, because Margaret is so untrustworthy but I think that would be a plot twist too far. We haven't heard anything about a nanny.

I've heard a lot of contradictory things about S8. I think those who believe it will happen are engaging in wishful thinking. I doubt if Martin and Phillipa know for sure, at this point, but the tea leaves seem to suggest a rather different setup for S8, if there is one.

There are rumors of CC leaving the series, but again, I don't think anyone knows at this point. But I do think that if Louisa is not in S8, it would be because they've killed her off.

Rumors that someone dies are based on an alleged statement by an anonymous cast member. Take that for what it's worth. OTOH, Eileen Atkins was pretty clear, in a recently published interview, that she doesn't expect to be back. Either she's pretty sure there's no S8 in view, or she knows how her character will meet her fate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In Portwenn only Carrie Wilson and dear Mrs T have ever expressed any interest (or tolerance) of our dear Doc. Which is as it should be. He is a mangy bugger as MC has often said.
  • Options
    earlgrey152earlgrey152 Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    It appears that a fairly reliable source (as far as I can tell) has made a comment on one of the FB groups that the commissioning of S8 will be announced soon. I'll believe it when I see it, officially, although this does seem like more than just wishful thinking.

If it's true, I simply cannot imagine the series without Louisa, or without Portwenn, as others have suggested. I agree that something significant would have to change in order to provide strong story arcs for further seasons, but heavens, no Louisa? No Portwenn? That's basically replacing two out of the three main characters!! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It appears that a fairly reliable source (as far as I can tell) has made a comment on one of the FB groups that the commissioning of S8 will be announced soon. I'll believe it when I see it, officially, although this does seem like more than just wishful thinking.

If it's true, I simply cannot imagine the series without Louisa, or without Portwenn, as others have suggested. I agree that something significant would have to change in order to provide strong story arcs for further seasons, but heavens, no Louisa? No Portwenn? That's basically replacing two out of the three main characters!! :o

I totally agree as to the importance of both Louisa and Portwenn! But I hope the focus shifts from their relationship. If there is in fact a season 8, which I will believe (happily) when I hear it from the horse's mouth,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Good thinking. I too think it's very possible that S7 will wrap with them on their way to London, or maybe Truro -- at any rate,elsewhere. That gives closure to the series but leaves the way open for a fresh start, if they decide to do it.

I would add that I think it's possible that it's the desire of Martin to move on from PW that finally decides Louisa to reconcile with him. (It would remain to be seen, however, if she'd still be there, when and if they picked up the story again.)

I think there's no reason to expect the rhythm of the storyline to be different than Series 4, 5, and 6, that is, a long buildup to a last minute (literally) epiphany, only this time it will be Louisa's.

It would be surprising and odd to have DM's desire to leave PW help L reconcile with him considering she has been adamant all along, with Danny and DM, that PW is her home, she has a place here, she has a job, and she doesn't want to move out of the village. LG wasn't happen with I'm leaving in S4, and it didn't reconcile them then.
  • Options
    Ms_SarahMs_Sarah Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Thanks, earlgrey and NewPark.

That's interesting news regarding EA. Its plausible that she returns to London. Please, no funeral march for Aunt Ruth. :o

Rumors CC won't return if there is a S8 ? Right.
    Why does she have to die? Please, no.

Okay, so they move the show to another location - Doc, please take her with you.
    I imagine if they :::: her off, the DVD sales might take a nasty fall. They won't plummet but it might hurt future sales.
This discussion has been closed.