Options

Time for this planet to get a clean install?

2»

Comments

• Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    worzil wrote: »
    Production has always be the key to the growth in humanity .
    It started with the industrial revolution and slavery.
    To produce goods you need workers as well as customers.
    some Government we're paying couples to have more children so they could sometime in the future supply the production lines.
    Now with automation and technology far less people are needed.
    The future looks bleak for humanity unless we find a way to bring down childbirth drastically throughout the world and I can't see that happening while the rush for wealth continues.

Birthrates always come down in countries where women are well educated and want lives away from just having children.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    We are still in the absolute baby stage when it comes to technology. Yes, there's some pretty technology around now, but if this is how advanced our technology is now, how amazing will it be in about 21st century? Thankfully, Toshiba, Samsung and Sony make some very impressive stuff. No doubt they'll strive to keep the advancing rate of technology going along as fast possible.

Actually that's a good point. Things might be pretty awesome now but just imagine what will become possible.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there's some pretty technology around now, but if this is how advanced our technology is now, how amazing will it be in about 21st century?

Well look around and see, now, is the answer.
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think windows 10 will do the trick ? :D
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well look around and see, now, is the answer.

It wasn't an actual question. I was, in a way, saying that our technology will be mindblowing in the 21st century.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would recommend the avast anti virus database once the reinstall has been completed.

In all seriousness, I do think we as a specie has become increasingly impatient and greedy as technology has improved. There is a sense of 'people wanting everything' now.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    It seems bad but there are vast parts of the planet that remain untouched and much of it goes on regardless. Nature will always be stronger than we humans ever could be. Yes, we can nuke and pollute the world but so could an asteroid or other natural phenomenon.

Yep, we humans are an ungrateful bunch and have done/ do some absolutely despicable things but there is a lot of 'good' amongst us too and that shouldn't be underestimated. Many people only turn 'bad' when desperate. Other bad people often self-destruct. A good few still get away with far too much. However, the majority just seem to want to get on with their lives as best they can. I'm no Pollyanna, having seen quite a lot of the dark side of humanity but you find plenty of good in people if you look for it and expect it.

Still, although we have evolved in leaps, technologically, emotionally and intellectually we are still in the Dark Ages.

Which vast parts of the planet are those. If we can't affect these areas directly, we'll do it indirectly. The Antarctic being an example with the melting of the icecaps. Work in progress. It's been cited we are destroying the Amazon rain forest at such a rate we are making species extinct before they have been even discovered and it is believed many of these creatures may have medicinal uses with their toxins, venom etc.

Nature will be stronger than us in the end and the best way to help that process along is when (I say when not if) the human race becomes extinct.

Also, you are right. We do live in the Dark Ages in many respects, hence the expression 'Cavemen with computers'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We are still in the absolute baby stage when it comes to technology. Yes, there's some pretty technology around now, but if this is how advanced our technology is now, how amazing will it be in about 21st century? Thankfully, Toshiba, Samsung and Sony make some very impressive stuff. No doubt they'll strive to keep the advancing rate of technology going along as fast possible.

That is until WW3 happens. It's on the cards right now what with the trouble in the Middle East. I'd be amazed if the human race is still in existence in 500 years time. For example if IS (ISIS) managed to get hold of an atomic/nuclear warhead or two and fire them on Israel and/or a NATO member. It will all kick off then. IS are not exactly renowned for being rational sane people, as widely reported by the world's press, so anything could happen.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Which vast parts of the planet are those. If we can't affect these areas directly, we'll do it indirectly. The Antarctic being an example with the melting of the icecaps. Work in progress. It's been cited we are destroying the Amazon rain forest at such a rate we are making species extinct before they have been even discovered and it is believed many of these creatures may have medicinal uses with their toxins, venom etc.

Nature will be stronger than us in the end and the best way to help that process along is when (I say when not if) the human race becomes extinct.

Also, you are right. We do live in the Dark Ages in many respects, hence the expression 'Cavemen with computers'.

Cheerful Charlie, you! :p:D
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The plant doesn't need a clean install at all. Nearly all life on earth lives in balance within its environment. The notable exceptions are humans and viruses. If anything then, the planet needs a virus to kill humans. It's a bit of an extreme measure but if the rest of nature is to survive then that appears to be the most logical conclusion.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go back in time and stomp on a butterfly. That should do the trick.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Go back in time and stomp on a butterfly. That should do the trick.

The description of the Tyrannosaurus rex in 'A Sound of Thunder' was (for it's time) a breathtaking example of writing by Bradbury. :)

As for humans we are the Alpha and the Omega of species - capable of great compassion, empathy and scientific achievements (landing a probe on a comet or visiting the Plutonian system for example) - or the very worst forms of depraved evil imaginable (currently epitomised by ISIS).

We are still essentially the same savage Pleistocene ape that mastered the world - but we now also have the technical means to destroy it.

It is far too late for the thousands of other species that we have made extinct but the next few centuries may finally define Humanity - what we could become - or what will finally end us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If anything then, the planet needs a virus to kill humans. It's a bit of an extreme measure but if the rest of nature is to survive then that appears to be the most logical conclusion.

We've got one such virus like that already. HIV. And guess what, we brought that one on ourselves while handling bushmeat (apes in this case) infected with the ape equivalent, SIV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_HIV/AIDS
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Cheerful Charlie, you! :p:D

If the human race were to become extinct overnight, the only animal that will be sad to see us go are us ourselves. Most other animals (if they could) will be popping the champagne corks and having a mega party. Most other animals on the planet wont miss us when we are gone, unlike the other way around, assuming we don't make these animals extinct first.

George Carlin's 'Saving The Planet' comedy sketch (easy YouTube) sums up pretty well how I feel about the human race and it's destructive invasiveness on the planet as a whole.
  • Options
    DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why we'll never have a hostile alien invasion. They'd take one look at this world before they get here,
    and think, "Well, screw that! The Earthlings are already doing a good enough job of ****ing up their planet!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If the human race were an electrical item, I'd want to return it, as in 'not fit for purpose'.

Unfortunately, there is no guarantee with humans, so anything could happen.
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Misanthropes are so boring.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    i volunteer to be the first one to be wiped

<Hudson from Aliens voice> "Yeah right man, Steve should go....good idea!" </Hudson from Aliens voice>
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think a re-install will do any good. Clearly we're running the wrong O/S. There's an obvious incompatibility between the HW & SW. It's a typical example of bloatware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DJGM wrote: »
    This is why we'll never have a hostile alien invasion. They'd take one look at this world before they get here,
    and think, "Well, screw that! The Earthlings are already doing a good enough job of ****ing up their planet!"

And more importantly, I feel sorry for any alien life form on another planet, if we do manage to visit them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    Misanthropes are so boring.

But at least they are living in reality, rather than having 'ostrich (head in the sand) syndrome', as in the human race can do no wrong. Look around you, regarding what is happening on planet Earth.

Let's look at the facts.

We rape, murder, injure, torture, lie, cheat, back stab ourselves, over populate, allow people to starve, abuse our offspring (e.g. FGM, circumcision, beatings), let corporations get away with fraud and exploitation, engage in (needless) wars over territories or religion, hunt animals to extinction, pollute the seas and the air, the list is endless.

Few other animals or creatures do most or any of the above.

I'm not worried about dangers from other animals in the UK. My greatest danger is from another human being, especially a man.

=

George Carlin - Saving the Planet
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c

George Carlin - Religion is bullshit [HQ DVD-Rip][Subs]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RT6rL2UroE

George Carlin - 10 Commandments
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE8ooMBIyC8
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    But at least they are living in reality, rather than having 'ostrich (head in the sand) syndrome', as in the human race can do no wrong. Look around you, regarding what is happening on planet Earth.

Lets look at the facts.

We rape, murder, injure, torture, lie, cheat, back stab ourselves, over populate, allow people to starve, abuse our offspring (e.g. FGM, circumcision, beatings), let corporations get away with fraud and exploitation, engage in (needless) wars over territories or religion, hunt animals to extinction, pollute the seas and the air, the list is endless.

Few other animals or creatures do most or any of the above.

I'm not worried about dangers from other animals in the UK. My greatest danger is from another human being, especially a man.

Erm, animals DO do some of the above - nature is extremely cruel - it's just that humans are meant to,have the inteligence not to do them and to be fair, 95% of humans don't commit murder or rape, we just need to sort out the knobs who do..
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marlman wrote: »
    The more I read or watch TV I have come to the conclusion that this planet is not working.
    We as humans have totally messed it up.

We are supposedly the most intelligent species but I think we are the most despicable, self centered and dullest species. We have not learned from our mistakes and it is not going to get any better well not in my lifetime anyway.

So has any respectable computer engineer will tell you turn it off and do a clean install.

Maybe a reboot, or failing that a factory reset.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »
    Erm, animals DO do some of the above - nature is extremely cruel - it's just that humans are meant to,have the inteligence not to do them and to be fair, 95% of humans don't commit murder or rape, we just need to sort out the knobs who do..

Unfortunately, that 5% have far more influence in various matters, rather than just by looking at percentages.