A thread for the neutrals...

Comments

• TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After that shambles of a transfer window, some clubs are literally one long term injury away from compromising their season. Kane, Giroud and Rooney are three examples. The window has been open TWO MONTHS! I get Spurs to some extent but the other two have money to burn and a Champions League campaign to negotiate and surely need experienced cover with a decent goal ratio. This obsession with false Number 9's and playing one man up front is making having two quality strikers at a club (hell, United used to have four!) a rarity. Baffling.
  • Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    After that shambles of a transfer window, some clubs are literally one long term injury away from compromising their season. Kane, Giroud and Rooney are three examples. The window has been open TWO MONTHS! I get Spurs to some extent but the other two have money to burn and a Champions League campaign to negotiate and surely need experienced cover with a decent goal ratio. This obsession with false Number 9's and playing one man up front is making having two quality strikers at a club (hell, United used to have four!) a rarity. Baffling.

Each one is so weird for different reasons. Man Utd have spent the money on a striker right enough but what an odd choice. However it completely pales into insignificance next to the complete inactivity at Arsenal. Their fans must be so frustrated to constantly be a couple of players away from being a brilliant side. How Wenger justifies this window is beyond me. I also think Spurs will be lucky to be near the European places as it stands. Kane could easily have his "difficult second album" of a season and they will be in serious trouble.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spurs are ownded by a billionaire I think (Lewis and the Enic group??), so I fail to see why they cannot push on, and spend the money required to help move on up to the next level, and consistently compete and challenge for a Champions League place.

Their forward situation is really strange, Kane and that is about it, Adebayor is seemingly in the never play for them again camp, so other than him, I don't quite know who they will play uptop if Kane is unavailable for some reason.
  • JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite amusing that the two biggest clubs in the world appear unable to arrange a piss up in a brewery. Of course they are blaming each other and the piece of meat in the middle is no doubt not a happy bunny.
    He will probably playing again next week and then come Jan sign a pre-contract and the fee goes in his pockets.
    Funny old game....
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did anyone buy charlie austin? can't believe he's still playing for qpr
  • Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,481
    Forum Member
    58m pound deal for this Martial then, no pressure!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    Quite amusing that the two biggest clubs in the world appear unable to arrange a piss up in a brewery. Of course they are blaming each other and the piece of meat in the middle is no doubt not a happy bunny.
    He will probably playing again next week and then come Jan sign a pre-contract and the fee goes in his pockets.
    Funny old game....

I would be very shocked to see De Gea playing next week, considering he has only a 45 min cameo against PSG in pre-season, and is therefore lacking match practice.

It might be a while longer than that before we see him back in the side.
  • Alfred ChickenAlfred Chicken Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I were an Arsenal fan I would be absolutely furious right now. I am a big fan of Wenger, but what on earth is he doing?
  • Alfred ChickenAlfred Chicken Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it looks as if Saido Berahino might not play for West Brom again after this tweet.

https://twitter.com/SBerahino/status/638744042772299776

He's a petulant little spoilt brat.

He signed a legally binding contract, is paid a small fortune and the club will sell him if they think it is in their interests. If I was Pulis I'd let him rot in the reserves. Who the hell does he think he is?
  • Scratchy.Scratchy. Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Big Poy wrote: »
    58m pound deal for this Martial then, no pressure!

£36m, the rest in add-ons include things like winning the Ballon D'or and being top scorer. It'll look like a bargain if it gets to that point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hummm £36 million for Martial or nearly £50 million for Sterling, let's see which one pans out for the best.
    Forum Member
    No as always is the case we have to report the value of the complete deal.

BBC headline when Sterling sign is £49m million pound deal. The same when Otamendi signed stating £32m deal. Obviously they are the price if all add ons are met, you knew that right?

So surely the same for Martial? 58 million pound deal it is.

Love that your trying to compare signings when you hadn't heard one of one until 3 days ago!

Oh and I'd put my last pound on Sterling being the best deal.
  • KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No as always is the case we have to report the value of the complete deal.

BBC headline when Sterling sign is £49m million pound deal. The same when Otamendi signed stating £32m deal. Obviously they are the price if all add ons are met, you knew that right?

So surely the same for Martial? 58 million pound deal it is.

Love that your trying to compare signings when you hadn't heard one of one until 3 days ago!

I think they should report it like NFL contracts; guaranteed money and conditional money.

Say Man City paid an initial fee of 20m for Sterling and agreed to pay the other 29m over 4 years... the guaranteed cost is 49m.

If it was 20m but 29m of it was conditional, then the cost of the transfer should be reported as the original fee.

As none of us really know what is written and where in these contracts it's a mute point anyway. Both clubs can afford it, heck Man Utd are on a 1 billion dollar (strengthening dollar at that) contract with Adidas, and Man City have already been punished for FFP and are continuing to just do their thing so they're obviously not bothered either.
    Forum Member
    Kierenj wrote: »
    I think they should report it like NFL contracts; guaranteed money and conditional money.

Say Man City paid an initial fee of 20m for Sterling and agreed to pay the other 29m over 4 years... the guaranteed cost is 49m.

If it was 20m but 29m of it was conditional, then the cost of the transfer should be reported as the original fee.

As none of us really know what is written and where in these contracts it's a mute point anyway. Both clubs can afford it, heck Man Utd are on a 1 billion dollar (strengthening dollar at that) contract with Adidas, and Man City have already been punished for FFP and are continuing to just do their thing so they're obviously not bothered either.

I'm not really fussed which way they report it, as long as it's the same for everyone!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We shall see, I wouldn't be that confident, as it is not as if Sterling has that much better stats, if he does at all.

Sterling had one good season, and one not so good season, before City bought him.

Let's wait and see how this pans out, but to me Sterling was not worth such a high fee (not that I am saying our lad was either mind), so both have it all to prove.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We shall see, I wouldn't be that confident, as it is not as if Sterling has that much better stats, if he does at all.

Sterling has played in the PL, your new player, well, has done pretty much nothing in a minor league.

A completely bizarre and utter waste of up to £58 million. You must be thinking that LVG has lost the plot?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Sterling has played in the PL, your new player, well, has done pretty much nothing in a minor league.

A completely bizarre and utter waste of up to £58 million. You must be thinking that LVG has lost the plot?

I am willing to wait and see, and to give the player a chance, I am not going to write home off just because of the price tag attached to him.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »

No that's just you.

Remind me who you bought yesterday?

Stones knew his place after all didn't he?
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,989
    Forum Member
    He's a petulant little spoilt brat.

He signed a legally binding contract, is paid a small fortune and the club will sell him if they think it is in their interests. If I was Pulis I'd let him rot in the reserves. Who the hell does he think he is?

Another young English player who clearly has had too much already and thinks he can just go around making his own demands?

Rotting away in the stands isn't going to get him the "dream move"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is interesting to compare the reactions between say De Gea and Berahino, if anyone has a case to be better over a non transfer, and to rating and raving on twitter, then it most certainly is De Gea, but he has kept his feelings and emotions to himself, or away from prying eyes.

That is the way to do things, not going on to Twitter, as fun as it is for us to read as it may be.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hunter23 wrote: »
    did anyone buy charlie austin? can't believe he's still playing for qpr

I find the prejudice against him so bizarre. One of ManUnited or Arsenal or Spurs should have bought him!
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,989
    Forum Member
    Some have suggested it was the wages he demanded but I agree - 15 million seems like a good risk for somebody to take.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst not being the best striker around, he would be a good back up option and a link from experienced player Rooney, to young talent Martial.

If anything, he would have suited Spurs even more, as they only really have Kane as a striker, seeing as I have the same chance of playing in Spurs' first team as Adebayor.
    Forum Member

Sterling had one good season, and one not so good season, before City bought him.

Let's wait and see how this pans out, but to me Sterling was not worth such a high fee (not that I am saying our lad was either mind), so both have it all to prove.

Not that I really want to get into a stats war. Sterling has 25 goals and 17 assists since breaking into Liverpools first team and is also a golden boy winner.

Now I'm not saying Martial won't turn out to be a good player but there is alot more for me to be confident about than you.

You are hoping without much substance to back up that a £58m or £36m however you want to write it pound player is going to transform United.

Time will tell.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There must be more to the Austin story than meets the eye. Were west ham correct with his medical condition?
This discussion has been closed.