space 1999

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,201
Forum Member
✭✭✭
hello. Just watched an episode the other day on correct me if am wrong ,either ITV3 /4 of space 1999 and surprised myself of really enjoying it.
Not had time to google if its on dvd etc. Anyone know ? thanks

Comments

• phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can usually pick up 7 or 8 old episodes to watch online on itv.com....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    dorisday74 wrote: »
    hello. Just watched an episode the other day on correct me if am wrong ,either ITV3 /4 of space 1999 and surprised myself of really enjoying it.

Its been released here in the UK for a while now on DVD both seasons, with the first being re-released more recently as a "Special Edition" that had a whole new cleaned up transfer that looks fantastic for its age!

Methos.
  • J_PeasmouldJ_Peasmould Posts: 715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can also purchase both seasons on ITunes.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks, because i wasn't sure how many seasons there was,when it was made etc.
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks, because i wasn't sure how many seasons there was,when it was made etc.

Notice that the theme tunes are different for each season
  • data123data123 Posts: 171
    Forum Member
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    A few years ago, I stumbled across this show on BBC2 and became hooked on it. Yes, it is very cheesey in places but I think that is why I love it *lol*. I do cringe sometimes as Barbara Bain's 'Helena Russell's acting when she screams but I love it. I have a soft spot for the romance between Russell and Koenig look which kept me watching.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    awesome series with one of THE greatest them tunes ever, and watched it on it's original run

have both series boxsets, but surprise surprise ..... only seen the first one so far!!!
  • ChapwithwingsChapwithwings Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    awesome series with one of THE greatest them tunes ever, and watched it on it's original run

have both series boxsets, but surprise surprise ..... only seen the first one so far!!!

Shame that season 2 suffers from the 'Frieberger Effect' so badly.

Season 1 Theme Tune is fabulous. Close to knocking the Doctor Who theme off it's perch.

Also the Eagle Transporters are fantastic
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Some people are trying to get a project off the ground to update the effects like they've done with Star Trek the Original Series;

Space 2099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol, thanks everybody, i cant wait to watch it from episode one.
  • danwestondanweston Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Bester wrote: »
    Some people are trying to get a project off the ground to update the effects like they've done with Star Trek the Original Series;

Space 2099

The effects do not need redoing .

At the time of production it was British tv's most expensive show ever and it shows.

The effects were done by some involved in the effects for 2001 and they show no signs of being dated unlike the Trek effects that were done cheaply on very low budgets which is why they needed redoing.

ON the whole the series is superb but there are a handful of episodes in both seasons that make Spocks Brain look like a masterpiece.

Season 1 was released as a special edition with lots of extras and the dvd versions are taken from new restored HD masters created a few years back.

While the numpties at ITV insisted on 16:9 for Thunderbirds and UFO , Network were able to get a set of 4:3 HD masters created for 1999 for their dvd's and hopefully a Blu release will follow.

Season 2 is long deleted and the UK set fetches £80+.

But as long as you are multiregion go for the Australian set.
    It's identical in content , but its Region 4 only and the box the cases come in is flimsy compared to the sturdy Carlton box.
    However , it's often on Ebay for £20 delivered.

Forget the ITV4 broadcasts - these are edited by between 4 and 5 minutes per episode

Space 1999 suffers more on ITV4 than most other ITC shows as season 1 episodes are some of the longest 1 hour ITC episodes ever at just over 50 minutes in PAL.

Season 2 is about 1 minute per episode shorter

The Gerry Anderson fanclub - Fanderson- offers an exceptional dvd double bill of documentaries.

One covers UFO ( which is included on the Australian dvd set of that show) while The Space 1999 Documentary is 100 minutes long (double the length of the Bravo screening) and covers in depth the production and background to the show and it features interviews with most of the cast and crew
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    ^^ The thing with the 2099 'update' goes beyond effects, they also look like they're messing around with editing to change the pacing of episodes. They also tack on 'previously on' bits as well. The most irritating thing though is that they try and change any reference to the year, replacing it with 2099. From the previews that are shown in the linked website, this doesn't work. Most of the time, it just sounds garbled and you're not entirely sure what year they've just said.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im on ebay just now, i have just a normal dvd player . Im going to try and see if can download them, though my speed is slow as a week in the jail lol. Im so sad,am excited about watching this.I was like this when i discovered 'the prisoner' and i shelled out £60 on the boxset when i worked in MVC.

This is one of many on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Space-1999-Set-One-DVD-Box-Set-New-Sealed_W0QQitemZ190307250945QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL?hash=item2c4f323301&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1687%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
    Forum Member
    Im on ebay just now, i have just a normal dvd player . Im going to try and see if can download them, though my speed is slow as a week in the jail lol. Im so sad,am excited about watching this.I was like this when i discovered 'the prisoner' and i shelled out £60 on the boxset when i worked in MVC.

This is one of many on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Space-1999-Set-One-DVD-Box-Set-New-Sealed_W0QQitemZ190307250945QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL?hash=item2c4f323301&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1687%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

That Ebay listing is one of the US Region 1 dvd sets but its only 2 discs.

The quality of the US discs are awful so dont bother with them.

If you can find the original Carlton UK discs cheap go for them as they are not too bad.

The Network remasters though are far better but the set is rarely cheap.

The season 2 sets from Oz or the UK are both good
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danweston wrote: »
    That Ebay listing is one of the US Region 1 dvd sets but its only 2 discs.

The quality of the US discs are awful so dont bother with them.

If you can find the original Carlton UK discs cheap go for them as they are not too bad.

The Network remasters though are far better but the set is rarely cheap.

The season 2 sets from Oz or the UK are both good

thanks
    what about this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Space-1999-DVD-Martin-Landau/dp/B000B0QJC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1243117169&sr=1-1 ?
    I know its going to cost lol, think i might even try freecycle,you never know :).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just googled carlton sets and this is one of them ?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Space-1999-DVD-Martin-Landau/dp/B00006FN32
    used from £15.99.
    Forum Member
    The £56 listing is the new restored set and is the one to buy.

However - the Carlton set for just £15.99 is difficult to resist.

The Network set offers an excellent restored picture aswell as copious extras .

If you are only used to seeing it on ITV4 then the Carlton picture will look fine .

So its your choice whether you want to spend £56+ on it

Season 2 does not have a restored UK release yet so go for the Australian set of that
  • J_PeasmouldJ_Peasmould Posts: 715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bester wrote: »

Space 2099

Thank you for the link - interesting, and I have bookmarked it for future use, but I personally feel that the shows effects hold up extremely well for a show fast approaching its 35th anniversary. :)
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Which was the episode where crew members were getting sucked into a weird plant monster and then being shot back out again as charred skeletons? That scared the bejeezers out of me when I was a kid.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Found it! It was called 'Dragon's Domain'.

Here's a cli-p showing a bit of why it was so bloody frightening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tbXhu09m5s
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Found it! It was called 'Dragon's Domain'.

Here's a cli-p showing a bit of why it was so bloody frightening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tbXhu09m5s

I prefer season 2 with its monsters - although some were OTT.

The purists rave on about season 1 and its otherworldly atmosphere - which is right- however the only episode with a traditional monster ,Dragons Domain is the one that more people remember than any other
  • epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This person on YouTube is uploading complete episodes of Space 1999 from original US Laserdisc releases.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FilmsRreel#g/u
  • jette52jette52 Posts: 256
    Forum Member

here in the US they have what they call a megaset of the entire series for 60 bucks. they say it is remastered but i do not know the quality of it yet. i just ordered them.i think they said it has 17 disc.