O2 academy Birmingham

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
Forum Member
I've got unreserved balcony seating for Lana Del Rey tonight but I've never been to the venue before. Doors open at 7pm but what time should I aim to arrive?

I already see on Twitter that some people are already queuing outside the venue! Really?!

Tempted not to go if I have to get there 9 hours beforehand ... it's already hassle makig sure I get a train home.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people queuing early are idiots especially 9 hours early. Been to the academy many times and normally get there about half an hour after doors open and have very little trouble getting to the front. No idea about balcony seats though as I always stand.

However, as the fans are going to be younger than for what I would normally see, the a above may be completely wrong!

In my opinion the academy has lost credibility lately as a credible music venue after having Mcfly and now Lana Del Ray perform!
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    The people queuing early are idiots especially 9 hours early. Been to the academy many times and normally get there about half an hour after doors open and have very little trouble getting to the front. No idea about balcony seats though as I always stand.

However, as the fans are going to be younger than for what I would normally see, the a above may be completely wrong!

In my opinion the academy has lost credibility lately as a credible music venue after having Mcfly and now Lana Del Ray perform!

But if they put on the bands/artists you like I guess they would be bust in a couple of months. It's a business like any other and luckily there aren't enough music snobs like yourselves to sustain a venue of that size.Plus the 02 Academy is far too small for an artist as popular as Ms Del Rey so I guess the people seeing her now should make the most of it.
  • Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm seeing her on Monday and I'm not getting there ridiculously early. I can't be arsed to wait outside all day so I'll probably just turn up for 7. Which room is she in? there's two rooms one is bigger than the other, I've been in both and you get a good view from everywhere because the rooms aren't that big. I'm not arsed about getting to the front but looking on twitter loads of younger fans seem to be going on Monday who are determined to get to the front.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna38 wrote: »
    I'm seeing her on Monday and I'm not getting there ridiculously early. I can't be arsed to wait outside all day so I'll probably just turn up for 7. Which room is she in? there's two rooms one is bigger than the other, I've been in both and you get a good view from everywhere because the rooms aren't that big. I'm not arsed about getting to the front but looking on twitter loads of younger fans seem to be going on Monday who are determined to get to the front.

There are actually 3 rooms, academys 1, 2 and 3.

As there is a balcony it will be in Academy 1.
  • Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are actually 3 rooms, academys 1, 2 and 3.

As there is a balcony it will be in Academy 1.

Oh I only ever thought there was two, thanks for the correction. is that the bigger one then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna38 wrote: »
    Oh I only ever thought there was two, thanks for the correction. is that the bigger one then?

Yes 1 is the bigger one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    But if they put on the bands/artists you like I guess they would be bust in a couple of months. It's a business like any other and luckily there aren't enough music snobs like yourselves to sustain a venue of that size.Plus the 02 Academy is far too small for an artist as popular as Ms Del Rey so I guess the people seeing her now should make the most of it.

Yes, because after god knows how many years of being in Birmingham, putting on gigs by bands, a lot of which I like, they are obviously close to going bust.

That must also explain why places like the Birmingham Institute must also be about to go bust................
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member

Pendulum (another act who'd be considered "not credible" I assume) performed there too. I went to see them and MC Verse there and they were awesome.

I've been there clubbing quite a lot as well and they play loads of "non-credible" music on the club nights. We even did a massive Harlem Shake there once lol.
  • bigc127bigc127 Posts: 1,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful layout for a music venue, overhanging balcony and restrictive pillars, and a nightmare to move round in. This is before you mention the horrendously rip off drink prices.
    They do unfortunately have a stranglehold on the mid size venue scene in Birmingham
  • TR252TR252 Posts: 436
    Forum Member

It's a music venue so surely they're going want to book as many acts as possible? I don't understand how they can lose credibility or how a venue can really be described as 'credible'?

Plus, Mcfy are great! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bigc127 wrote: »
    Awful layout for a music venue, overhanging balcony and restrictive pillars, and a nightmare to move round in. This is before you mention the horrendously rip off drink prices.
    They do unfortunately have a stranglehold on the mid size venue scene in Birmingham

Not really, now the Institute has re-opened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    Pendulum (another act who'd be considered "not credible" I assume) performed there too. I went to see them and MC Verse there and they were awesome.

I've been there clubbing quite a lot as well and they play loads of "non-credible" music on the club nights. We even did a massive Harlem Shake there once lol.

How can you compare pop music with Pendulum??????? And you seem to be assuming that I only consider Indie/Alternative music credible, And I have never heard of MC Verse so can't say what they are like.

Some people really like to get defensive for no reason don't they.....
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    edited as just not worth any more of my time..
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    How can you compare pop music with Pendulum??????? And you seem to be assuming that I only consider Indie/Alternative music credible, And I have never heard of MC Verse so can't say what they are like.

Some people really like to get defensive for no reason don't they.....

MC Verse is the rapper for Pendulum, so he was performing their songs.

Pendulum are mainstream imo. Knife Party (which is a kind of side-project) almost got in the top 40 today, and you can hear them on the same radio stations that play Britney Spears, Drake, Macklemore and The Saturdays. They do mainly drum & bass which is a mainstream genre at the moment (even a former X Factor contestent released a drum & bass song a couple of weeks ago), and people that like pop music also like Pendulum, so yes, I think they're comparable to pop, and that's not a bad thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pendulum are probably the most mainstream drum and bass act, or at least were a few years back. they're as pop as that genre gets.

the venue is okay - its size means you can see from anywhere and it's a hell of a lot better than the last one where the academy 2 was arranged terribly and the academy three was basically a little window in the wall you stood no chance of seeing unless you were at the front as there wasn't even a stage.

this whole argument about artists is ridiculous - the venue is the largest music one outside of the arenas in the midlands and you expect them to not have McFly on? I don't understand the problem with McFly anyway - even an intolerable music snob like you could appreciate they wrote and play all their own songs and have done for the last ten years?
    the venue is sponsored by carling, it exists to make money and brings some of the biggest bands and artists to the city - not all to your tastes I appreciate but it's a great venue.
  • DomestiquesDomestiques Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The academy in birmingham is without exception the worst venue I have been to in all my gig going years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    MC Verse is the rapper for Pendulum, so he was performing their songs.

Pendulum are mainstream imo. Knife Party (which is a kind of side-project) almost got in the top 40 today, and you can hear them on the same radio stations that play Britney Spears, Drake, Macklemore and The Saturdays. They do mainly drum & bass which is a mainstream genre at the moment (even a former X Factor contestent released a drum & bass song a couple of weeks ago), and people that like pop music also like Pendulum, so yes, I think they're comparable to pop, and that's not a bad thing.

You really do seem paranoid that people may laugh at the type of music you listen too and keep trying to come up with reasons for why drum and bass should be payed at venues like the Academy.

The fact you seem to be missing is that I NEVER MENTIONED DRUM & BASS or PENDULUM.

I have written it in capitals and highlighted it just so you may be able to understand what I am saying!
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member

How does having a few mainstream artists performing really affect the venue?? :confused: That seems a very snobbish thing to say, surely most venues have a wide range of artists perform there. In any case Lana is fairly credible, and McFly are at the better end of the pop market!
  • bigc127bigc127 Posts: 1,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pendulum are probably the most mainstream drum and bass act, or at least were a few years back. they're as pop as that genre gets.

the venue is okay - its size means you can see from anywhere and it's a hell of a lot better than the last one where the academy 2 was arranged terribly and the academy three was basically a little window in the wall you stood no chance of seeing unless you were at the front as there wasn't even a stage.

this whole argument about artists is ridiculous - the venue is the largest music one outside of the arenas in the midlands and you expect them to not have McFly on? I don't understand the problem with McFly anyway - even an intolerable music snob like you could appreciate they wrote and play all their own songs and have done for the last ten years?
    the venue is sponsored by carling, it exists to make money and brings some of the biggest bands and artists to the city - not all to your tastes I appreciate but it's a great venue.
    Except if you happen to be stood anywhere but in the middle
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    The academy in birmingham is without exception the worst venue I have been to in all my gig going years.

I can only assume you've never been to Newcastle Arena.