Options

The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 272
Forum Member
Has anyone read this? It's on my A Level Literature syllabus and it's the most boring, depressing drivel I've ever had to read.

At first I was just a bit bored but convinced it would pick up. Then I thought the story was going somewhere but no, it lacked a point. The big event that finished the novel was that some girl with no real significance to the story at all hanged herself. Woo.

Why put something so crap on the syllabus alongside a much better novel like One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone read this? It's on my A Level Literature syllabus and it's the most boring, depressing drivel I've ever had to read.

At first I was just a bit bored but convinced it would pick up. Then I thought the story was going somewhere but no, it lacked a point. The big event that finished the novel was that some girl with no real significance to the story at all hanged herself. Woo.

Why put something so crap on the syllabus alongside a much better novel like One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest?

Well, it's a long time since I read it and it certainly isn't the most cheerful read on the planet, but comparing Plath to Kesey isn't really comparing like for like. That said I've never heard 'The Bell Jar' described as drivel. Maybe you should think about getting hold of a copy of Plath's 'Letter's Home' or try 'Johnnie Panic and the Bible of Dreams' or a collection of her poetry (she was principally a poet) to try and create a reference for 'The Bell Jar'. I'm not suggesting you'll like Plath's only novel any better, but you might understand it more clearly. You may have been given 'One flew over the cuckoo's nest' and 'The Bell Jar' on the same syllabus because they both deal with the nature of isolation in very different ways. Good luck.
  • Options
    mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never finnished it, very sad :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    castel64 wrote:
    Well, it's a long time since I read it and it certainly isn't the most cheerful read on the planet, but comparing Plath to Kesey isn't really comparing like for like. That said I've never heard 'The Bell Jar' described as drivel. Maybe you should think about getting hold of a copy of Plath's 'Letter's Home' or try 'Johnnie Panic and the Bible of Dreams' or a collection of her poetry (she was principally a poet) to try and create a reference for 'The Bell Jar'. I'm not suggesting you'll like Plath's only novel any better, but you might understand it more clearly. You may have been given 'One flew over the cuckoo's nest' and 'The Bell Jar' on the same syllabus because they both deal with the nature of isolation in very different ways. Good luck.

well said, you need to have a rounded view of her as a person, particularly if it is for study purposes, to understand the Bell Jar. Definitely the Letters Home will illuminate it for you.
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,114
    Forum Member
    I must re read it as cant remember much apart from it was sooo sad
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    I would also recommend reading a biography or two. You'll notice similiarities between Sylvia's life and Esther's. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed The Bell Jar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,314
    Forum Member
    I love the Bell Jar, and I find it to be both structured well and wonderful poëtic, but then again, I am a huge fan of Plath's, and I wouldn't recommend approaching it without reading some of her other works beforehand. I'd try to read Ariel and Crossing the Water, her two best books of poetry, and, if you're adventurous, you could try delving into her diaries too, which give a lot of context to what happens in the Bell Jar.
  • Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed The Bell Jar when I read it. I felt it was well written and very insightful (it is semi-autobiographical, after all). I am a big fan of that style of writing and fiction, however. Both The Catcher In The Rye and The Bell Jar are two of my favourite novels, because they spoke a lot to me when I read them. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    I agree with Palefire - you should read her diaries too. Can't believe I forgot to recommend them myself. D'oh!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,786
    Forum Member
    I disagree that Plath's other works are required reading before approaching The Bell Jar: it stands alone as a novel. I actually didn't find it depressing at all - the conclusion was far more positive than Plath's own sticky end!

I think the OP would do better to get a decent book of study notes on it to explain to him/her the points he/she is missing out on. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a far more accessible book which may be why you warmed to it more immediately.
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with -meisje-, you don't need to read any of her other works to appreciate The Bell Jar. It's a brilliant book. Definitely get yourself some study notes and read it again with an open mind.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read it several times in my teens and twenties and it's one of my favourite books (or was then). I agree you don't need to have read anything else (for me anyway). It also has one of my favourite opening lines:

It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in New York.

Notes on it here:
    http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/belljar/section1.html

(There's a programme on about the Rosenbergs on BBC4 tonight; nothing to do with the Bell Jar but in case anyone's interested and doesn't know!).
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed the Bell Jar when I read it, (although I couldn't stand The Catcher in the Rye or Prozac Nation), I would like to try some of her poetry, but as money is a bit tight at the moment, I think I will have to wait a bit before getting it..
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote:
    I read it several times in my teens and twenties and it's one of my favourite books (or was then). I agree you don't need to have read anything else (for me anyway). It also has one of my favourite opening lines:

It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in New York.

Notes on it here:
    http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/belljar/section1.html

(There's a programme on about the Rosenbergs on BBC4 tonight; nothing to do with the Bell Jar but in case anyone's interested and doesn't know!).

Oooh I read a great book about the Rosenbergs years ago, wish I could remember what it was called.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it - not the 'happiest read' on the planet though.
  • Options
    SalbatesSalbates Posts: 2,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard loads about "The Bell Jar" but i've not read it yet. I suppose i'll get round to reading it one day.

I do like Plath's poetry though and "You're" is one of my favourites :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PamelaL wrote:
    Oooh I read a great book about the Rosenbergs years ago, wish I could remember what it was called.
    I did too and I can't remember either! The one I read concluded that they were scapegoats and innocent of anything serious enough to be executed for. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salbates wrote:
    I've heard loads about "The Bell Jar" but i've not read it yet. I suppose i'll get round to reading it one day.

I do like Plath's poetry though and "You're" is one of my favourites :)
    This is one of mine (yes, very dark. :o I like the lines in bold especially for some reason).

Death & Co.
    Two, of course there are two.
    It seems perfectly natural now ---
    The one who never looks up, whose eyes are lidded
    And balled¸ like Blake's.
    Who exhibits
    The birthmarks that are his trademark ---
    The scald scar of water,
    The nude
    Verdigris of the condor.
    I am red meat. His beak
    Claps sidewise: I am not his yet.
    He tells me how badly I photograph.
    He tells me how sweet
    The babies look in their hospital
    Icebox, a simple
    Frill at the neck
    Then the flutings of their Ionian
    Death-gowns.
    Then two little feet.
    He does not smile or smoke.
    The other does that
    His hair long and plausive
    Bastard
    Masturbating a glitter
    He wants to be loved.
    I do not stir.
    The frost makes a flower,
    The dew makes a star,
    The dead bell,
    The dead bell.

Somebody's done for.
  • Options
    loppytartloppytart Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was self-absorbed drivel too.

I really don't see why I should read about Plath's life to appreciate the book though, doesn't that in itself make it an empty novel? I've read books about things I have absolutely no interest or knowledge in and i've come away feeling at least some empathy for the protagonist and a desire to find out more about the author or the situation/events they were writing about. I felt none of that with the bell jar.

I've got it down from the shelf to read it again though, just in case I missed something ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,314
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed the Bell Jar when I read it, (although I couldn't stand The Catcher in the Rye or Prozac Nation), I would like to try some of her poetry, but as money is a bit tight at the moment, I think I will have to wait a bit before getting it..

I recommend getting the Collected Poems, if you can: Crossing the Water and Winter Trees are equally, if not better, than Ariel. However, if you want to check out some of her poetry for free, here's a good link: http://www.angelfire.com/tn/plath/. It has about 200 or so of her poems, (although quite a few of them are juvenilia.)

You're

Clownlike, happiest on your hands,
    Feet to the stars, and moon-skulled,
    Gilled like a fish. A common-sense
    Thumbs-down on the dodo's mode.
    Wrapped up in yourself like a spool,
    Trawling your dark as owls do.
    Mute as a turnip from the Fourth
    Of July to All Fool's Day,
    O high-riser, my little loaf.

Vague as fog and looked for like mail.
    Farther off than Australia.
    Bent-backed Atlas, our travelled prawn.
    Snug as a bud and at home
    Like a sprat in a pickle jug.
    A creel of eels, all ripples.
    Jumpy as a Mexican bean.
    Right, like a well-done sum.
    A clean slate, with your own face on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Trawl around on-line, you'll probably find some you can print or read
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loppytart wrote:
    I thought it was self-absorbed drivel too.

I really don't see why I should read about Plath's life to appreciate the book though, doesn't that in itself make it an empty novel? I've read books about things I have absolutely no interest or knowledge in and i've come away feeling at least some empathy for the protagonist and a desire to find out more about the author or the situation/events they were writing about. I felt none of that with the bell jar.

I've got it down from the shelf to read it again though, just in case I missed something ;)

Why would having background information make a novel empty? It just creates perspective and framework. Strangely, I don't like her poetry, but I really liked her 'Letters Home' and 'Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams'.
  • Options
    loppytartloppytart Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    castel64 wrote:
    Why would having background information make a novel empty? It just creates perspective and framework. Strangely, I don't like her poetry, but I really liked her 'Letters Home' and 'Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams'.

I think its empty because people are saying you'd get more from the novel if you read background info on Plath first. I appreciate that a greater understanding of the topic of a novel can make it richer but imo a good novel should be a stand alone book.

I probably didn't make myself clear, sorry :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    I read The Bell Jar at Christmas and I really enjoyed it. It's not the cheeriest subject matter in the world, but Plath's wit and aloofness when describing really quite harrowing events are an interesting spin that makes this book stand out for me.

Be thankful you don't have The Mill On The Floss by George Elliot on your syllabus like I did.. Now that is rubbish!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loppytart wrote:
    I think its empty because people are saying you'd get more from the novel if you read background info on Plath first. I appreciate that a greater understanding of the topic of a novel can make it richer but imo a good novel should be a stand alone book.

I probably didn't make myself clear, sorry :o

Well, I obviously didn't make myself clear either. I said that the OP, who was struggling with The Bell Jar, might have a better understanding of it if they'd a better understanding of the writer. I didn't say they'd get more from the book or even like it, they just might be able to see why it was on the syllabus along with 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' - undoubtedly one of the great American novels of the late 20th century. 'Letters Home' shows clearly that Plath never thought of herself as a novelist and so it's hard to assess her in the same light as Kesey.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Sorry, ain't been in this forum for a while.

Undoubtedly I'll be doing more work on the novel and author for study purposes (we haven't even started work on it yet), but based on this novel I don't think I'll enjoy it. I think I remember something from years ago that she gassed herself in her oven? Nice.

Maybe I like Kesey better because he's a proper stoner and I can identify with him :P I'm totally wasted as I speak... type... whatever, but it is my 18th so I have an excuse.