Options

Calling For The Axe Of Local TV News Programmes...

Comments

• Options
    LillithLillith Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC South Today is dull and Meridian Tonight is dross. What happened to that tasty guy who did the sports news?The girl who does it now is very lightweight. I loathe Fred Dineage and his false sincerity. You can bet that if there is a big news story that day then one of the people involved in it will have an Auntie Doris in Southampton and they will re hash it all again. The last 5 minutes is spent wishing Happy Birthday to old dears who are 100 and showing pictures of weddings that happened anywhen up to 70 years ago when the couple were in their prime and then showing what they look like now. Eeeeek! My OH insists on having it on and even though I do the washing up then I can still hear Fred's dulcet tones.
  • Options
    miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CheekyTV wrote: »
    I find our local ITV and BBC news programmes Central News/Midlands Today patronising beyond belief..I think most people only watch Midlands Today to see if they can see up Suzanne Virdee's skirt..when they got rid of the desk she nearly gave thousands of male viewers an eye full when she wore a very very short skirt, she must have been told because she tries to keep her legs crossed now..lol..I think local news programmes should be a 10 minute programme tacked on the end of the main news..I just personally don't identify with them at all..waste of time...the strange thing is the 6.30pm BBC local news slot is one of the most watched programmes of the day when they are all added up together.

The bulletin after the 10 o clock national news is only ten minutes which is ample for the lovvies, why not do the same after the 6 o clock national news?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lillith wrote: »
    BBC South Today is dull and Meridian Tonight is dross. What happened to that tasty guy who did the sports news?The girl who does it now is very lightweight. I loathe Fred Dineage and his false sincerity. You can bet that if there is a big news story that day then one of the people involved in it will have an Auntie Doris in Southampton and they will re hash it all again. The last 5 minutes is spent wishing Happy Birthday to old dears who are 100 and showing pictures of weddings that happened anywhen up to 70 years ago when the couple were in their prime and then showing what they look like now. Eeeeek! My OH insists on having it on and even though I do the washing up then I can still hear Fred's dulcet tones.

You have summed it up nicely. Patronising, dull and at best, just a filler. In South Today, we get that series with Roger Finn where we see him walking round the countryside...:yawn: As I say, anything important enough makes the national news...the rest, you can forget about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Local news (BBC and ITV) no longer seems to have any ambition and plods wearily along purveying the same tired old fare night after night. Sad really, considering that once upon a time it used to make an effort to give viewers something interesting to watch in the half hour or so between coming home from work and getting ready to have dinner. Squeezed budgets plus inadequate staffing levels plus low morale equals unadventurous boring programmes. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Gowdy wrote: »
    Local news (BBC and ITV) no longer seems to have any ambition and plods wearily along purveying the same tired old fare night after night. Sad really, considering that once upon a time it used to make an effort to give viewers something interesting to watch in the half hour or so between coming home from work and getting ready to have dinner. Squeezed budgets plus inadequate staffing levels plus low morale equals unadventurous boring programmes. :(

...and dumbed down!
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To whoever mentioned South East Today as a good news programme. It helps that SET has a tiny editorial area, covering Kent, East and mid Sussex (and for some reason Brighton which overlaps with BBC South Today) along with a tiny bit of Surrey which overlaps with BBC London News.

South Today is a big region for the BBC, however it's not as big as Meridian Tonight who cover an area from Southend to Banbury.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here in Derby we get Birmingham news, we are in the East Midlands but we get news from Hereford and Shropshire, that's nearly Wales:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    farmersboy wrote: »
    What baffles me is that in the morning we get BBC South, and in the evening we get BBC Oxford. Brackley is a damn sight closer to Oxford so why do we get news about the south coast in the morning? I couldn't give two hoots about Hastings, Southampton, etc...

well i live near canterbury,and get meridian south or bbc south east for our local news.of the two bbc is a bit more local covering kent essex and sussex ok not truley local but compared to meridain it is. we have old fred and his ditsy side kick ,simon the weather forcaster who is still act likes his back in childrens tv 1980s era.even worse is the woman in early morning tv from meridian who speaks each word like shes reciting a story when in fact we get about a min of news from some far flung place in dorset and traffic news that is hardly going to to worry me when its in oxford
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is just rubbish isn't the local news. Tbh, anything that doesn't make the national news sin't worth knowing about.
  • Options
    TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What they need to do with BBCs South Todays Sally Taylor is give her a damn good make-over!! Shes had the same hairstyle for years and years and her hair always looks so lifeless and thin!! Also she need a nose job and she need a complete new wardrobe and she needs to go to the tanning salon to put some colour on her!!! They must not issue her with a substantial clothing budget or something!!

And I also agree in that they should axe local news programming as well, anyway!! A THIRD of our local news programme, South Today, is taken up with football and other sports news!! Then the other 2/3rds of the programme is taken up with local people telling all their doom and gloom stories or the woeful tales of our local councils suffering more cutbacks!!!!

Personally, I beleive that for local news programming they should take a leaf out of Americas book!! Local news programming in the USA is excellent and are very well presented with stunningly beautiful female presenters, not to mention, for the most part, gorgeous handsome male presenters who portray themselves with total professionalism that it puts ours to utter shame!!!

Lets get rid of these useless time-wasters!!!:mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    ...and replace them with a tape loop of Ron Burgandy singing "Afternoon Delight"
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlton Athletic get plenty of coverage on South East Today yet they're a London club.
  • Options
    fiesatafiesata Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    Midlands Today is the best news programme in my opinion

I've watched them all via satellite and some are dreadful but Nick Owen and Suzanne Verdi do a great job and there's a bank of very good reserve presenters like Sarah Falkland and Michael Colly
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Charlton Athletic get plenty of coverage on South East Today yet they're a London club.

Most of their fanbase live in Kent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Lillith, FD seems to have controlled both the Southern and Meridian ITV channels since the 70s [or even the 60s when he was on 'How']. When I lived in Brighton for a time in early 90s, he never seemed to be off. Didn't Harry Secombe own that station which put out 'Highway' I think it was?. They could end it with him in control.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    What they need to do with BBCs South Todays Sally Taylor is give her a damn good make-over!! Shes had the same hairstyle for years and years and her hair always looks so lifeless and thin!! Also she need a nose job and she need a complete new wardrobe and she needs to go to the tanning salon to put some colour on her!!! They must not issue her with a substantial clothing budget or something!!

And I also agree in that they should axe local news programming as well, anyway!! A THIRD of our local news programme, South Today, is taken up with football and other sports news!! Then the other 2/3rds of the programme is taken up with local people telling all their doom and gloom stories or the woeful tales of our local councils suffering more cutbacks!!!!

Personally, I beleive that for local news programming they should take a leaf out of Americas book!! Local news programming in the USA is excellent and are very well presented with stunningly beautiful female presenters, not to mention, for the most part, gorgeous handsome male presenters who portray themselves with total professionalism that it puts ours to utter shame!!!

Lets get rid of these useless time-wasters!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Yes...absolutely agree. Today's South Today, we had cutbacks, Lib Dem division (which we can deduce from the national picture), a mention of a soldier being killed in Afghanistan (which was featured on the national news) a far too long sports bit covering nothing of interest...and er...a local 'Strictly' event. Simply rediculous, unnecessary and a waste of time. In this time of cutbacks which are so often repeated, I know exactly where I would make cutbacks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of their fanbase live in Kent.

I'll give you that one.
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    I would want to keep the concept but improve the content and quality, although quite how they do that especially with financial constraints I am not sure.
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    The last 5 minutes is spent wishing Happy Birthday to old dears who are 100 and showing pictures of weddings that happened anywhen up to 70 years ago when the couple were in their prime and then showing what they look like now. Eeeeek!
    Oh yeah. I don't mean to sound ageist but its not exactly what I want to see in a local news programme. They should show this as a seperate programme maybe once a week instead imo.
    Do any other ITV regional news programmes do this?
  • Options
    AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't like to see our local news taken off. Its informative & gives us up to date news in our region that the main news programmes never cover.

I agree.

I'd rather have longer local news programmes. I can catch up with national and world news on 24 hour news programmes with one click any time I want.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    fiesata wrote: »
    Midlands Today is the best news programme in my opinion

I've watched them all via satellite and some are dreadful but Nick Owen and Suzanne Verdi do a great job and there's a bank of very good reserve presenters like Sarah Falkland and Michael Colly

I agree. It's very good. I even think ITV's Central Tonight with Bob Warman (if I ever see it) is quite informative too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The London News programmes are'nt bad-the evening ones that is on both ITV and BBC.

The early morning ones are a bit of a joke IMO. Some of the 'news' items, which only last about 30 seconds each seem pointless.(A water main has burst down a side street in Ealing:D-right so......?)

The traffic stuff is important but the weather presenters seem to be getting paid for nothing. I learn nothing the main bulletin or breakfast show has'nt informed me already.

Personally I think they should be investing more into local output overall, rather than trying to get rid of it.
  • Options
    Sun!Sun! Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Wales Today is quite good. Obviously compared to the English regions has lots of political news and covers the main stories across Wales. However obviously theres always moaning from people outside of Cardiff that its Cardiff Centric (Which maybe it is- im not from Cardiff BTW)

ITV Wales Tonight is essentially a slightly worse copy of Wales Today on a lower budget. Although the BBC did poach ITVs young presenter Lucy Owen which is the opposite to what happens in ITV usually.
  • Options
    AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "London Tonight" is not always that good; a recent edition was almost entirely made up of Naomi Campbell giving evidence in the Charles Taylor trial at the Hague..she may be London-born, but was there any need for that?

BBC Radio Newcastle did this with their breakfast show when the Monday after Amanda Knox and Raffelle Sollecito were convicted of Meredith Kercher's murder, the big story was bloody Joe off X Factor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leosw4 wrote: »
    The London News programmes are'nt bad-the evening ones that is on both ITV and BBC.

The traffic stuff is important but the weather presenters seem to be getting paid for nothing. I learn nothing the main bulletin or breakfast show has'nt informed me already.

Wendy and Pete regularly contribute weather-related stories to the main bulletins and Wendy has done some features for Inside Out. There was also the "Wild Weather" programme on Monday. As for Kate,the forecast for her would appear to be matenity leave!