212 in 2012

Comments

• LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12. Magician's Gambit - David Eddings
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I am another one who found the thread late last year. I estimate that I read around 120 books in 2011 so am aiming for around that number this year too.

1: Clouded Vision - Linwood Barclay
    2: The Redeemer - Jo Nesbo
    3: Trick Of The Dark - Val McDermid
    4: The Retribution - Val McDermid
    5: Headhunters - Jo Nesbo

6: The Monster In The Box - Ruth Rendell
    7: Found Wanting - Robert Goddard
  • InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    InsideSoap wrote: »
    4. Puzzle for the Secret Seven - Enid Blyton 4/5

5. Silent Scream - Lynda La Plante 4/5 - Excellent book, which I read just before (but not knowing about) the TV version being shown on ITV. I really enjoyed the book which is the fifth Anna Travis book and I would say one of the best. As always with Lynda's books though it could have been shorter.

6. Can't Anyone Help Me? - Jackie Holmes with Toni Maguire 5/5 - A difficult read about a girl (Jackie) who was abused and sold to paedophiles by her uncle and then becoming a prostitute living on the streets addicted to drugs. This was a book which again could have done with less pages but one that I would recommend.

7. I Heart New York - Lindsey Kelk 5/5 - Fantastic book. I read it in 24 hours because I couldn't put it down. Also it's a series of books so I can't wait to start I Heart Hollywood once I've finished the books I'm currently reading.

8. Secret Seven Win Through - Enid Blyton 4/5

9. I Heart Hollywood - Lindsey Kelk 4/5 - After reading IHNY I couldn't wait to read the second book in the series, and even though I gave it four stars I was a bit disappointed. Angela (the main character) hates LA for most of the book rather than 'heart' it, and she is even more selfish and self centred than in New York. However I liked her towards the end, enough to want to read the next books in the series.

10. Mummy From Hell - Kenneth Doyle and Patrick Doyle 5/5 - As with all books like this, I find it hard to 'review' them or say much about them other than if you've read these sort of books before then you'll pretty much know what to expect. The parents in this book shocked me so much, parts of it were just so bad you couldn't actually imagine another human being (never mind family) doing it to somebody.

11. Mummy, Make It Stop - Louise Fox 5/5 - Same as above, hard to 'review' but not much different than other books like this. Parts of it were absolutely unbelievable, for example being abused by her stepfather, then the neighbour that moves over the road and then nearly getting raped by the landlord of the local pub. All while she's still a child.

12. Guinness World Records 2012 4/5 - Not cover to cover but 85/90% of it. Read most of every GWR since 1999 when I got my first book.
  • OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15) Carole Matthews - Wrapped Up in You
    16) Breakfast at the Hotel Deja Vu - Paul Torday
    17) Spying in High Heels - Gemma Halliday
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    18) The White Woman on the Green Bicycle - Monique Roffey

Very good novel that has been hiding on my Kindle for about a year. All about a European couple living in Trinidad from the 1950s on. Well written - worth a read
  • My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2. Memnoch the Devil - Anne Rice
  • Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 - Elisabeth Sladen: the Autobiography by Elisabeth Sladen
    2 - Now you see her by James Patterson
    3 - Private by James Patterson
    4 - Private London by James Patterson
    5 - Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone - JK Rowling
    6 - Harry potter and the Chamber of Secrets - JK Rowling
    7 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - JK Rowling

Enjoying re-reading the Harry Potter books, been awhile since I've read them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    10. How to be a Woman - Caitlin Moran
    11. Amara - Richard Laymon
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2. Freedom by Jonathan Franzen – a monster of a book which I found very engaging for the first 100 pages and then a bit hit and miss from then on. I think the point of it was to give a slice of life in late 20th/early 21st century America, looking at a seemingly ‘normal’ nuclear family and how what you see is never what you get. If this is what it is intended to be, the story is really secondary to it, which is just as well as it loses its way and is rather convoluted. I enjoyed it on one level but I’m equally very glad to have finished it as it’s taken ages! (Read between 3rd-21st January)
  • SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SWW (SWW) wrote: »

25. Live And Let Die - Ian Fleming 6/10
    Penguin Books, 280 pages
    Originally published in 1954, the second book in the James Bond series… a book title made famous by a Connery film adaption… A quite dark book, with Mr Big, a Black master criminal, bullion smuggler who uses voodoo to keep control of his numerous minions. Moving from Harlem, St Petersburg (USA), and finishing off in Fleming's favourite haunt.. the West Indies and Jamaica in particular, of course.

26. Zero Hour - Dan Jurgens, Mark Waid, Chris Priest, Louise Simonson etc. 5/10
    D C Comics, 1195 pages
    Zero Hour tells the story of an attempt or remake the entire multiverse by first destroying it; sees the end of some major heroes and groups and the first appearance of Parallax. Great DC event, in my opinion, the concept of absolute power corrupting a superhero!

27. Avengers Academy 2010 - 2011 - Christos N Gage, Fred Van Lente etc. 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 716 pages
    Avengers Academy #1-20, Special, Ant Man & Wasp #1-3 and Taskmaster. A surprisingly high quality series with some of the best interpretations of young heroes ever; superb Quicksilver and Tigra characterisations; as well as Van Lente's superb Taskmaster limited series. From the ashes of Osborn's Initiative, Hank Pym sets up and runs an academy for young meta-humans in training.

28. X-Men: Schism - Jason Aaron & Paul Jenkins 7/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 225 pages

29. Thunderbolts 2010 - 2011 - Jeff Parker 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 668 pages
    Thunderbolts #134-164. Covers the teams final Dark Reign incarnation in Siege through to its Raft prision identity with the addition of the likes of Gunna, Juggernaut, Satana, Boomerang etc.

30. Parallax Saga - Geoff Johns, Ron Marz, Gerrard Jones 6/10
    D C Comics, 391 pages
    Chronicles the fall and then return of Hal Jones, the Green Lantern, seeing DC take the innovative risk of turning an a-list hero into a baddie!

31. Quintessential Tarantino - Edwin Payne 8/10
    Marion Boyars Publishers Ltd, 263 pages
    A very readable and insightful book, giving in an depth analysis of the final productions of True Romance, Natural Born Killers, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, From Dusk 'Til Dawn, Jackie Brown, Four Rooms and the ER and CSI episodes directed by Tarantino. Payne reveals many of the nuances and intended outcomes of the artistry of Tarantino's body of work and is balanced enough to also quote the bad as well as good reviews. This book really puts Tarantino's work under the microscope, and in my opinion shows one it is so notable.

32. Sail - James Patterson and Howard Roughan 5/10
    Arrow Books (Random House), 457 pages
    Another thriller from the Patterson / Roughan combination… a very rich woman goes on a sailing holiday with her dysfunctional children and her first, now dead, husband's brother… only to find the journey unlike anything they expected, as it appears someone could, might be trying to kill them. A dastardly bad guy and a pretty gripping story kept me glued to this one. Typical Patterson page-turning fodder.

33. Equations Of Life - Simon Morden 4/10
    Orbit Books, 346 pages
    Tells the story of a Russian immigrant, Samuil Petrovitch, in a dytsopian speculative future World, living in the London Metrozone, several years after a nuclear event. Then add Russian gangsters and the Yakuza, a high kicking sword waving gun-toting nun, Madeline, and Samuil's dark past and you have quite an interesting tale, that encourages me to go and read the next two stories in the trilogy.
  • ShomofoShomofo Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the list continues
    12. The Death of Promises - David Dalglish
    13. The Shadow of Grace- David Dalglish
    14. A silver of Redemption - David Dalglish
    Which is the end of the Half Orc Series and on to the Third which is the Paladin series
    15. Night of Wolves - David Dalglish
    16. Clash of Faith - David Dalglish
    17. The Old Ways - David Dalglish
    18. Black Moon - CL Bevill
    19. Amber Moon- CL Bevill
    20. SIlver Moon - CL Bevill
    The last 3 are Short stories on the Kindle
    Just away to find something else to read next
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    19) Joanna Trollope - Daughters-in-Law
  • janismjanism Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Bit of a slow start this year.
    1. Dead Simple - Peter James
    2. Dear Air 2000 - Trevor Ravenscroft
    3. Spring Creek Romance - Leanne Crabtree
    4. At war with the Hamptons- amy Cross
    5. Locked in- Kerry Wilkinson
    6. Simon's Cat - Simon Tofield
    7. The Calling- Alison Bruce
    8. Whitethorn Woods - Maeve Binchy
    9. Royally Yours - Jude Ryan
    10. Salem 1692 - Bruce Watson
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3. Where she went by Gayle Foreman – a much easier read than my previous choice. It’s the sequel to ‘If I Stay’ which I thoroughly enjoyed last year. This is written from a different character’s POV and I didn’t think it was as good (a bit clichéd in its presentation of becoming a famous rock-star at a young age and it didn’t really address his obvious undiagnosed depression) but I still enjoyed it. Plus it was a quick read! (Read between 21st-22nd January)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    13. Across the Nightingale Floor - Lian Hearn

Read this a few years back and didn't get it at all. I think the names really confused me at the time (didn't realise surname came first). By the time I'd finished it yesterday, it was one of the very very few books that has made me cry :confused:
    (Of course, it might not have helped that I'd just watched the final ep of Sherlock :D)
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4. Contagious ~ Scott Sigler ~ 9/10

5. Cuckoo ~ Julia Crouch ~ 7/10

6. Restoring Grace ~ Katie Fforde ~ 7/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    5. Against All Odds: The Most Amazing True life Story You'll Ever Read - Paul Connelly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20) Dawn French - A Tiny Bit Marvellous
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    14. Over Sea, Under Stone - Susan Cooper

Yet another fantasy about children and magic and saving the world, very good but not quite up there with the Belgariad or Across the Nightingale Floor (my books 10-13)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    21) Mia's Scandal - Michelle Reid

The problem with books that I have downloaded ages ago on the Kindle is that I have forgotten what they are about. This one was complete rubbish, yet The White Woman on the Green Bicycle - Monique Roffey which I read a few days ago was a very pleasant surprise
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I found the ending to that quite confusing.
    Yes, indeed. On reflection, revising my score to 2.5, as I'm still not sure who did what, although the writing is pretty good.

6. The Angel's Game, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. A bit too long, but enjoyed this. 3/5

7. Brazzaville Beach, by William Boyd. Not hugely interested in chimpanzees, but excellent writing 3/5

8. Goodbye to Berlin, by Christopher Isherwood. Perfectly captures the mood of Berlin just before the second world war. 4/5
  • syramusyramu Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4. Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum #15) by Janet Evanovich - It's been a while since I've read this series so I fell behind, but I loved this one. The love triangle is a bit tiresome now, and I found it hard to believe that Ranger would need Stephanie to investigate his case for him, but the mystery was more solid than in some of the previous books.

5. One for the Money (Stephanie Plum #1 - re-read) by Janet Evanovich, read by C.J. Critt - I listened to an audiobook version of this one and really enjoyed it. The reader does a great job adjusting her voice for the different characters or for a character with a busted lip. I loved this book as much as the first time I read it, and I wish Evanovich would concentrate solely on the Stephanie Plum books and put as much detail and care into them as she did the early ones in the series.

6. Catching Fire (Hunger Games #2) by Suzanne Collins - Katniss and Peeta are about to embark on their Victory Tour. Their lives have changed, and they try to use their new wealth to help the people of District 12, but they find that they are inspirations for a rebellion in the various districts, and their families and friends are at risk from the Capitol because of their unintended rebel symbolic status. So good! I have to begin the third book immediately.
  • __melissa__melissa Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    __melissa wrote: »
    1. The Outcast - Sadie Jones
    2. Glue - Irvine Welsh

3. Midnight Girls - Lulu Taylor
    This bonkbuster was completely unrealistic, a little bit too long and had so many rauchy parts. Having said that, I loved getting lost in it and it was great for some pure escapism from cold, dark, January nights and dreary commutes to work.
  • Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 - Elisabeth Sladen: the Autobiography by Elisabeth Sladen
    2 - Now you see her by James Patterson
    3 - Private by James Patterson
    4 - Private London by James Patterson
    5 - Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone - JK Rowling
    6 - Harry potter and the Chamber of Secrets - JK Rowling
    7 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - JK Rowling
    8 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - JK Rowling
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) Murder On The Orient Express - Agatha Christie (7/10)
    2) The Mysterious Affair At Styles - Agatha Christie (7/10)
    3) Lunatics - Dave Barry & Alan Zweibel (5/10)
    4) Little Star - John Ajvide Linqvist (8/10)