Will Virgin Media Upgrade To TiVo Roamio Set Top Boxes?

2»

Comments

• Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problems reported by me back in November:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/FAO-Moderator-Kath-F-thread-created-as-you-asked/td-p/2082246

I see that the US are now on v20.4.1 - when are we going to get upgraded to at least v20.3.8?

Incidentally, TiVo US removed the back-to-back recording feature using a single tuner (introduced in v20.3.5 i.e. the build we have) from v20.3.6 and v20.3.7 of the software as it was deemed too buggy! It was finally fixed in v20.3.8 released in December.

It seems VM customers are not high priority and we have to put up with the bug-ridden release.

Oh and if they offered a box with more than 3 tuners I would pay to have it installed - I have had 4 live events clashing more than once and obviously no matter what you do with those series links you can't work around the problem.

Is there any reason why VM does not get the latest software updates that TiVo customers in America get?:confused:
  • Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Carl. Yes, it only happens if there is padding as the TiVo has to 'create' the padding on the two recordings.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,904
    Forum Member
    I am indeed.

Okay. That explains it then. Hope they get it sorted soon.

So no, not "everybody" then. Only those who use padding, by the sound of it.

Why would you not use padding? It's an error for anyone who uses what is a bit of a no brainer of a function.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you not use padding? It's an error for anyone who uses what is a bit of a no brainer of a function.

Ideally we need dynamic EPG's.
    Forum Member
    Iqbal_M wrote: »

Agree, but until we do I don't know why you wouldnt use it, some programmes (Top Gear is a huge culprit) routinely overrun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Simple. It reduces the number of programs you can concurrently record, from 3 to 2 in most situations.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps but there are issues which would arise due to the fact that EPG updates are sent across the network and TiVo has to reschedule all of its series links after an EPG update.
    Forum Member
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    Simple. It reduces the number of programs you can concurrently record, from 3 to 2 in most situations.

In that case then I change the recordings manually, a simple task that means I rarely miss the end of programmes.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the padding thing, we have found that if padding creates a problem recording three things at once, it does a pretty good job of recording another showing if there is one on a later date that doesn't clash.

Sometimes you just have to trust it to not miss stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that case then I change the recordings manually, a simple task that means I rarely miss the end of programmes.

I'm not sure you are understanding.

A simple scenario.

You have the following programs to record:

7pm to 8pm Program A channel 101
    7pm to 8pm Program B channel 102
    8pm to 9pm Program C channel 103
    8pm to 9pm Program D channel 104

If all four programs have before and after padding, either Program C or Progran D will not be scheduled to record because the after padding for Program A and Program B is using 2 of the three tuners and only one is available.

How do you get round that if there are no repeats of any of the four programs.

The simple fact is that padding will reduce the availability of tuners.

Back-to-back recording with a single tuner where the programs are on the same channel helps but does not stop the issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    With the padding thing, we have found that if padding creates a problem recording three things at once, it does a pretty good job of recording another showing if there is one on a later date that doesn't clash.

Sometimes you just have to trust it to not miss stuff.

Exactly correct.

Many, myself included, NEVER apply padding as most channels keep within their suggested broadcast time.

The worst offender is undoubtedly the BBC. They rarely run to schedule. For example, Eastenders always starts before its scheduled time.
  • richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any reason why VM does not get the latest software updates that TiVo customers in America get?:confused:

I guess it's all to do with the support contract between TiVo and VM.

What I don't get is that when VM where trialling v20.3.5 last year, in the US TiVo were already well aware of the bugs in this version and had released or were very close to releasing v20.3.6.

I don't know why VM did not hold off until TiVo had fixed the "big" bugs unless VM just wanted to get the release out (regardless of the state it was in) just so that they did not have to delay the launch of Netflix.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    Many, myself included, NEVER apply padding as most channels keep within their suggested broadcast time.
    ^ This. Most of my SLs are of US shows on the PayTV channels which, mostly, stick to schedule and are usually repeated. I also make sure anything that needs padding has a higher priority.
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure you are understanding.

A simple scenario.

You have the following programs to record:

7pm to 8pm Program A channel 101
    7pm to 8pm Program B channel 102
    8pm to 9pm Program C channel 103
    8pm to 9pm Program D channel 104

If all four programs have before and after padding, either Program C or Progran D will not be scheduled to record because the after padding for Program A and Program B is using 2 of the three tuners and only one is available.

How do you get round that if there are no repeats of any of the four programs.

The simple fact is that padding will reduce the availability of tuners.

Back-to-back recording with a single tuner where the programs are on the same channel helps but does not stop the issue.

Take the padding off one of the recordings. It's pretty simple really.

By the way, that's another thing Tivo can't do that V+ could.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take the padding off one of the recordings. It's pretty simple really.

By the way, that's another thing Tivo can't do that V+ could.

Sorry, I don't think that works or allows you to ensure you see the end of the programs.

Please explain further. Which program do you remove the padding from?
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I don't think that works or allows you to ensure you see the end of the programs.

Please explain further. Which program do you remove the padding from?

It's 2 programs actually, my bad.

Take the padding off one of the earlier ones and the start of one of the second ones. There is a risk of course you will lose the end of the earlier program, but it's only one program and for the times it arises allows you to keep padding on everything else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's 2 programs actually, my bad.

Take the padding off one of the earlier ones and the start of one of the second ones. There is a risk of course you will lose the end of the earlier program, but it's only one program and for the times it arises allows you to keep padding on everything else.

Seems to require too much thought and foresight.

I'll stick to a default of no padding.
  • richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I go the other way. I stick with default padding as it requires even less thought. Yes there are a number of channels were padding is not needed, but I have noted numerous occasions were I would have missed the end of programmes from the BBC, ITV and channel 4 family of channels if I had not used padding.

If I change the default to no padding then I would have to make a "conscious" change when adding new series links as to which channel it is for. Incidentally, setting the series link priorities seems to be the key here as well as the fact that I don't mind not catching the premiere showing and am happy with a repeat a couple of days later (or in the middle of the night for instance).

Another tip: If you know the programme premieres on ITV but has a repeat on ITV2 then you can set a series link for both channels and it will only record one showing. As long as the ITV series link has a higher priority than the ITV 2 then it will attempt to record the premiere on ITV but fall back to an ITV 2 repeat if it can't (assuming there is no repeat on ITV before the ITV 2 repeat of course). Of course you could also use a wish list as well.

Of course each to our own, there is no real correct or incorrect way, more user preference. It's not worth arguing about :)
  • OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. Currently the 9 - 11pm period Mondays to Fridays has three tuners working on my TIVO, so padding is out of the question.

However, there are occasions where I do have padding, and the EastEnders example given earlier is one of them! The 2 minute padding at the start ensures that we no longer miss the beginning, but fortunately this programme is on at a less 'congested' recording time for us.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also there's the 'suggestions' problem where it appears that this function no longer works for many people. I used to enjoy being able to go through the list and finding something interesting, or it recorded something for me that i forgot to set myself. However now it just records star trek enterprise and voyager over and over again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OLD BOY wrote: »
    I agree. Currently the 9 - 11pm period Mondays to Fridays has three tuners working on my TIVO, so padding is out of the question.

However, there are occasions where I do have padding, and the EastEnders example given earlier is one of them! The 2 minute padding at the start ensures that we no longer miss the beginning, but fortunately this programme is on at a less 'congested' recording time for us.

Absolutely. 9pm can see a logjam which requires all three tuners.

I have had as many as 8 programs vying for three tuners at 9pm.

Thank goodness for TiVo's ability to re-schedule and early morning repeats. You do, however, have to keep an eye on series link priorities, especially when new series come along.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a thought. What if, form digital switch over, Virgin Media (then NTL/Telewest) had used TiVo set top boxes from day one? I.e. Series 1 boxes in 1999, Series 2 in 2002, Series 3 in 2006, Series 4 (TiVo Premier) in 2010, and Series 5 (TiVo Roamio) in 2013. Would VM be more competitive against Sky?