20 years since Love Is All Around got to number one

JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
Forum Member
Its twenty years since Wet Wet Wet got to number one with Love Is All Around. It stayed at the top all summer and finished its run in September after 15 weeks at number one. Three years earlier Bryan Adams made history with his 16 week run at the top. And here it was happening again. The single was apparently deleted in its 15th week so it never got the chance to equal or beat the record set by Bryan Adams. What are your memories of the summer of 1994? Were you absolutely sick of it or were you rooting for it to beat Bryan Adams?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/fun/feature/a574535/its-20-years-since-wet-wet-wet-went-to-no1-with-love-is-all-around.html#~oFVpvEcvPZ12eq

Comments

• Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    As a nine year old boy, I got fed up of it quickly. My parents liked it and it was number one the day my youngest sister was born.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God I hated that soppy bit of shite! It was EVERYWHERE for weeks on end. Urrgghh!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Hated it and 'Everything I Do'. Every week during both songs stays at No 1 I hoped they would be knocked off and every week I was annoyed they were still No 1.>:( One thing I hated about the early 90s were Power Ballads like them that I couldn't stand that stayed at No 1 for months, others are I Will Do Anything For Love-Meatloaf and I Will Always Love You-Whitney Houston (I like Dolly Parton's version).

I don't like Wet Wet Wet's overblown version and much prefer the Troggs original and REM's cover. I hate it more than 'Mr Blobby' because even though that was shite at least it didn't stay at No 1 for 15 weeks.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't want it to beat Bryan Adams just end. Thank god for Wigfields Saturday Night :p.

At least U2 were a half decent band to knock Bryan off the top. Though no-one remembers their song The Fly though.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Didn't want it to beat Bryan Adams just end. Thank god for Wigfields Saturday Night :p.

At least U2 were a half decent band to knock Bryan off the top. Though no-one remembers their song The Fly though.

I remember the fly. I thought it was a really good U2 song. After 16 weeks of Bryan Adams the fly went straight in at 1 then dropped to 2 then 5 then fell out of the top 40 two weeks later. An odd year with singles either going in at 1 and lasting four weeks in the chart or staying at the top for weeks on end. Queens innuendo also entered at 1 and dropped out of the top 40 four weeks later.
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I like these songs more now than I did then. Maybe because they were always played that you get sick of them. When loves is all around was number one I was between children with one the year before and one the year after.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated it. Awful awful awful. I lost interest in the charts that year.
  • lollipop1995lollipop1995 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely LOVE that song! One of my favourite songs of all time :)
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got fed up with it very quickly. I think the more important question is will those runs at number 1 ever happen again?
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    god how bland and wet that track was.... the troggs original however was far superior, they conveyed emotion without making you want to throw up.
    Forum Member
    god how bland and wet that track was.... the troggs original however was far superior, they conveyed emotion without making you want to throw up.

And REM showed how to do a good cover of it.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Reg Presley blow the royalties on UFO research?
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Got fed up with it very quickly. I think the more important question is will those runs at number 1 ever happen again?

Streaming is to be included in the chart later this year, that'll likely keep songs at the top for longer
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Didn't Reg Presley blow the royalties on UFO research?

yes..... lol..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I depise this song, not least because it was everywhere for so long.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the more important question is will those runs at number 1 ever happen again?

Hopefully not, it was so boring.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No it wont. In todays climate its impossible to "build" a song slowly that will top the charts for months on end. It simply cant happen these days.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still listen to The Troggs, but cant stand what Wet Wet Wet did to it, or any other song they sang to be honest.
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wet Wet Wet are inconsequential, lightweight shite, and Love Is All Around was the worst of the worst for them. Take a look at their discography and you'll realise just how much poppy, limp wristed garbage they actually put out.
    Forum Member
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    Wet Wet Wet are inconsequential, lightweight shite, and Love Is All Around was the worst of the worst for them. Take a look at their discography and you'll realise just how much poppy, limp wristed garbage they actually put out.

It's not surprising they were successful in the late 80s-early 90s period as that's when many people thought chart music went rubbish.:D
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually like the song, can't stand the band nor Marti Pellow's discrimination towards catholics, vile man
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ballads from movies were the bane of 90's pop music. Thankfully, Parklife and Definitely Maybe made 1994 not a bad year for me. :)