Options

The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are you from so we can judge your accent?

i don't have an accent :)
  • Options
    hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    i don't have an accent :)

Everyone has an accent.

Anyway just caught up on An Extra Slice. I very much enjoyed the format, but agree with the people who say that Jo Brand doesn't quite fit, but it's not going to bother me. Claire was way to hard on herself, but hilarious nonetheless!
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just watched "An Extra Slice" and I quite liked it.
    As far as people asking why Jo Brand was hosting, she did a series a few years ago on Channel 4 called 'Jo Brand Through The Cakehole". Perhaps this had something to do with it ?
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone has an accent.

Anyway just caught up on An Extra Slice. I very much enjoyed the format, but agree with the people who say that Jo Brand doesn't quite fit, but it's not going to bother me. Claire was way to hard on herself, but hilarious nonetheless!

Isn't it everyone else who has an accent?
  • Options
    CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Claire is from Cheshire, if it's her accent to which you refer.
    I enjoyed both programmes :)

I've been busy all week so I've just caught up.

Claire seems lovely but a rubbish baker.
    Loving the BO, not too keen on the spin off.
    I like Jo and I love GBBO but the spin off lacked something. Maybe it just need time to hit a rhythm.

I'm off to trawl the thread for wisdom, funnies and madness ;-)
  • Options
    CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    I think Iain is in trouble, shame he's the only bloke I may have seen for years with a beard I find attractive.
    Really! He looks like he's in the wrong show, he should be on the allotment programme.
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    lol Mel & Sue :D

This programme would be lost if they ever decided to leave.
    They are the making of this show, it could survive without Paul, it might even survive losing Mary, but it wouldn't be this show without them.
    Looks like baked dog turds
    YuK don't make such gross remarks,yellow card! :D
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    Jordan needs to go tonight methinks
    He won't be around long. He's enthusiastic but clueless.
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    I think the builder will do well. I can just see the marketing of his book "The Baking Builder" already.
    The builder is very good, either he will have a disaster and go next or he will be close to the end.
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    Nancy starbaker tonight???
    Couldn't be anyone else. She won't win, she will be out in the semi final.
    wuffles wrote: »
    Norman's cakes look gorgeous.
    Norman could be a revelation or a flash in the pan, not sure which.
    The missus just brought through a packet of Cadbury mini-rolls and I complimented her on their uniformity although the sponge was over cooked. Cut a long story short I'm sleeping on the couch tonight.

:D:D yes, a funny joke at last :)
  • Options
    ladygardenerladygardener Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest - I don't understand how people could 'hate' a 17-year old at all - after all, what's she ever done to them!

I just hope that Martha (and the others) don't get too hung up on going on the Interweb to read what people are saying. If I were on one of these competitions I think I'd stay well clear for the duration!

Except even if she reads what people are saying it won't make any difference, the programme isn't live and the winner has probably already been chosen. The last prog showed torrential rain, as far as I can remember we haven't had any torrential rain since about April. The show is now in Berkshire and I'm only about 30 or so miles away, so the weather is similar to where I live.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except even if she reads what people are saying it won't make any difference, the programme isn't live and the winner has probably already been chosen. The last prog showed torrential rain, as far as I can remember we haven't had any torrential rain since about April. The show is now in Berkshire and I'm only about 30 or so miles away, so the weather is similar to where I live.

Hopefully they have all been briefed to expect abuse online, I think someone commented that the lady eliminated last week has already responded to the 'keyboard warriors' attacking her though they are usually best ignored.
  • Options
    fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the best bit about the Extra Slice is that the departing contestant gets to re-make a disaster, and to show us what it should look like. That's a nice touch.

We will see if they always have to make the disaster from the departing week, or if they can go back to previous weeks. Hope they can.
  • Options
    peevepeeve Posts: 3,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was so lovely to have GBBO back and I was looking forward to the spin-off show. There were bits I enjoyed - I actually liked the fact that random audience members were invited to bring in equally random cakes; it was a nice touch to judge the panel's culinary skills; good for Claire to prove what the show-stopper should have looked like (still a duffer in my book if it went anywhere near hundreds and thousands); and 'the head and shoulders of cake' was the best line of the week, let alone the programme. :)

But it had its faults too - firstly the timing. It really should have been on BBC2 immediately after the Wednesday main programme - it was a minor miracle that I remembered it was on. But, more importantly, I agree with others that Jo Brand is just too cynical to comment on GBBO. I love her as a comedian, but the presenter of anything GBBO-related needs to be somebody who is not only fond of cake, but fond of the gentle NICEness of GBBO. The main show is full of innuendo - soggy bottoms abound - but it's all so sweetly done that the smut doesn't really register. And if it does, the viewer feels a bit guilty for interpreting a perfectly ordinary remark that way. But Jo Brand emphasises every innuendo in flashing neon with a metaphorical brass band playing in the background. Boom! Boom! They might as well have booked Basil Brush.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This isn't a reality TV Show, This thread should be swapped with Tumble ASAP.
  • Options
    JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a reality show. It shows members of the public attempting to conquer challenges in skills in which they are not professionally qualified. Reality is not always a derogatory term.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a reality show. It shows members of the public attempting to conquer challenges in skills in which they are not professionally qualified. Reality is not always a derogatory term.

Reality is a derogatory term to many people.

Your definition means that Masterchef and Celebrity Masterchef will be in Reality but Masterchef Pro in UK TV Programmes because the contestants are professionally qualified.

In programmes like Bake Off and Masterchef people LEARN useful skills like cooking and baking. In reality programmes they do pointless 'challenges' usually designed to humiliate them.
  • Options
    Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peeve wrote: »
    'the head and shoulders of cake' was the best line of the week, let alone the programme. :)

I don't want to appear a complete duffer, but I didn't understand the head and shoulders of cake joke. Can anyone explain it?
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avi8 wrote: »
    I don't want to appear a complete duffer, but I didn't understand the head and shoulders of cake joke. Can anyone explain it?

"its like dinner and desert in one, you have got the head and shoulders of cake"

Its a play on how SOME shampoos are "two in one" (shampoo and conditioner),

However as "Head and Shoulders" does not equate to "two in one", the joke sort of doesn't work, but enough people got it.

....unless I am missing the joke.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Reality is a derogatory term to many people.

Your definition means that Masterchef and Celebrity Masterchef will be in Reality but Masterchef Pro in UK TV Programmes because the contestants are professionally qualified.

In programmes like Bake Off and Masterchef people LEARN useful skills like cooking and baking. In reality programmes they do pointless 'challenges' usually designed to humiliate them.
    An interesting one, worthy of another thread.
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a reality show. It shows members of the public attempting to conquer challenges in skills in which they are not professionally qualified.
    In that case, Mastermind is a reality show. As was the Krypton Factor, the Generation Game, Call My Bluff and Give Us A Break. In fact pretty much every show ever in which members of the public have featured apart from the ones that everybody agrees actually are reality shows..

The best definition I can come up with that 'a reality show' is one which follows members of the public in and about their daily lives, or at least some staged approximation of that. So Made in Chelsea qualifies, as does that Scrappers show that's on. As would that show about Eddie Stobart drivers for for example. They involve showing 'reality' as in people's day to day existence. Showing someone who is normally a builder larking about in a tent making mini victoria sponges is not 'reality' in so far as it's entirely staged for television and wouldn't happen if the television cameras weren't there. Or at least, it's pretty unlikely to.

There is little 'reality' in GBBO, it's an entirely artificial situation.

In any case though, we're here now. so let's get on with it...
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In reality programmes they do pointless 'challenges' usually designed to humiliate them.
    And also follow them throughout their day, whilst documenting their reactions and thoughts.
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But the Bake Off contestants aren't learning on the show, they are essentially doing a series of challenges, albeit ones that aren't designed to humiliate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SXTony wrote: »
    But the Bake Off contestants aren't learning on the show, they are essentially doing a series of challenges, albeit ones that aren't designed to humiliate.

The majority of contestants have at least one bake to do which they have not done before and many will have several. Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry will make suggestions as well as they go around - sure more is said off camera. I am sure most of them will say they have learnt a lot at the end of their period in the competition.

I doubt whether many come away from Big Brother, I'm a Celebrity, TOWIE etc having learnt much or at least nothing useful.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Oh the thread's in here is it!

Hello :)
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I'm liking Richard :)

Sexy man, manly, yet an excellent cook.... ticks all the boxes!
  • Options
    mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I'm liking Richard :)

Sexy man, manly, yet an excellent cook.... ticks all the boxes!

Loved it when he left his pencil behind his ear.
  • Options
    Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    The best definition I can come up with that 'a reality show' is one which follows members of the public in and about their daily lives, or at least some staged approximation of that.
    I don't think a reality show is necessary one involving members of the public going about their daily lives. Personally I would put I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here as a reality show, i.e. although the participants are often unknown members of the public, it is not necessary so and can involve celebrities. Reality shows are about watching certain aspects of people's live, using what happen in their lives, using interactions between real people, and personal real-life drama as entertainment. Although reality shows are thought be unscripted, in actual fact it is often scripted in some ways (often by producers introducing scenarios to which the participants might react).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    I don't think a reality show is necessary one involving members of the public going about their daily lives. Personally I would put I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here as a reality show, i.e. although the participants are often unknown members of the public, it is not necessary so and can involve celebrities. Reality shows are about watching certain aspects of people's live, using what happen in their lives, using interactions between real people, and personal real-life drama as entertainment. Although reality shows are thought be unscripted, in actual fact it is often scripted in some ways (often by producers introducing scenarios to which the participants might react).

From comments in the media, most current reality programmes seem heavily scripted. Basically using members of the public as actors in a soap opera.