The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not just saying that as an opinion. I read in the production rules that all the recipes and preparation had to be pre-approved by the BBC and they had to perfectly emulate what they submitted when being filmed. I'm sure if they did change something, it certainly wouldn't be shown that the judges or presenters knew about it, but production may see it differently.

Well, all that I can say is that I am sure that I have seen instances on the show where several bakers have decided to "wing it" whilst still producing the promised bake - importantly the main ingredients were used, just some of the additional elements were changed (or the preparation method was varied), especially when something went wrong with one of those ingedients
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    kate36 wrote: »
    Glutton for punishment??:D:p

Haha, glutton full stop! The diet starts (again) today!! :D:D
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Flanno wrote: »
    Ms Tandoh's still going on whining about the viewers & the show's producers from what I read from yesterday's Daily Telegraph! :o

Oh Ruby luv, please give yourself a break, will ya?!

Is the piece from the Telegraph in Ruby's own words? Did she really say, " He was already off to an inauspicious start when, peering over at his black sesame ice cream, 79-year-old Mary – confused by any ingredient that can't be found in Mr Kipling's – quizzed: "Mushroom soup?" " How very rude.

It also sounds as though she doesn't believe in Diana's illness "cited". Strange woman.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    I'm not just saying that as an opinion. I read in the production rules that all the recipes and preparation had to be pre-approved by the BBC and they had to perfectly emulate what they submitted when being filmed. I'm sure if they did change something, it certainly wouldn't be shown that the judges or presenters knew about it, but production may see it differently.
    So are you saying that apart from a list of ingredients and instructions as you would find in a recipe in a book that they also have to say exactly how they'd do things such as how exactly they would whisk something - whisk in an electric mixer with x blade attached/whisk by hand with a wire whisk/fork/rotary whisk for x minutes - and not deviate from that?
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    Is the piece from the Telegraph in Ruby's own words? Did she really say, " He was already off to an inauspicious start when, peering over at his black sesame ice cream, 79-year-old Mary – confused by any ingredient that can't be found in Mr Kipling's – quizzed: "Mushroom soup?" " How very rude.

It also sounds as though she doesn't believe in Diana's illness "cited". Strange woman.

I've read Ruby's piece and got quite a different vibe from it.
    I suspect people are jst carrying on their views of her from previous series
  • JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could someone please give a link to Ruby's piece as I can't find it :( Thank you
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could someone please give a link to Ruby's piece as I can't find it :( Thank you

My mistake- the article i read was the Guardian
    http://www.theguardian.com/profile/ruby-tandoh
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Summeriris wrote: »
    Oh please, it still bothers you that the girl was beautiful and could bake. And she is intelligent as well.. Get over it, some people have talent and smarts all rolled up in a lovely package.

Agreed, well put.

No wonder she responds harshly when people keep writing ridiculous stuff about her.

Her newspaper and magazine columns are very well written as I am sure will be her book when it appears. Good luck to her in having found a way of funding her time at university.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    She wasn't beautiful, she was ok/good looking. She could bake and she is bright. But she was a whinger and the edit focussed on that so that the viewers got peed off with her. Shr could be for given that but she was also rude, insulting and up her own arse on Twitter. So on balance she doesn't have a lovely package ad her tweets showed her to be an arrogant moo. She should have kept it shut.

Beauty is subjective but I think she is a very pretty young woman. She was portrayed as a winger by some people but she just had some self-doubt and perhaps lack of confidence. Much prefer that to arrogance and someone believing that everything they do is perfect and anyone saying otherwise is wrong even if one of the judges. I think she was fairly quiet on Twitter until the abuse she was getting just got too much and a lot of it seemed to come from one person. She sent them some very strong Tweets, perhaps would have better to remain silent but the abuse she got was very bad, then stopped using it for some time.

She wrote a good piece in the paper about how she and other women do seem to get a lot of similar abuse online.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iphigenia wrote: »

The article seems to support Diana and blame the editors for all the fuss, probably because of her own experience with the editing on the programme.
    Illness has been cited as Diana's reason to drop out of the competition, although it's a move that will no doubt come as confirmation of her guilt to those who set a ransom upon her head.

I can't see how that can be interpreted as not believing in DIana's illness, she has just stated the facts and is sympathetic that the keyboard warriors will say it is proof that somehow DIana is guilty. Perhaps 'cited' is a bad choice of word but she will be used to writing essays at university and that is the way things are often formally written.

Her previous column was true!

Bake Off is back and the trolls who turned on me have their claws out
  • SummeririsSummeriris Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She wasn't beautiful, she was ok/good looking. She could bake and she is bright. But she was a whinger and the edit focussed on that so that the viewers got peed off with her. Shr could be for given that but she was also rude, insulting and up her own arse on Twitter. So on balance she doesn't have a lovely package ad her tweets showed her to be an arrogant moo. She should have kept it shut.

I thought she was very lovely. Beautiful eyes, even features and the loveliest skin I have ever seen. So yes, I do think she is beautiful. And I like her spirit. She wasn't whinging when she fought back against the pure nastiness of the Twitter crowd. The way she was treated on Twitter is the reason I closed my Twitter account. She and now Diana are the targets of a lot of really sad people and I find it despicable.
    I agree on this one. PH knows what he is talking about. I have tried a number of his bread recipes and they are spot on.

~ like his recipes as well. He knows what he is talking about.
  • JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    My mistake- the article i read was the Guardian
    http://www.theguardian.com/profile/ruby-tandoh

Thank you :)
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/01/great-british-bake-off-star-diana-beards-daughter-accuses-bbc-of-exploiting-her-mum-4852512/

Notice the bit where it says they filmed Diana returning the Alaska to the freezer moments after she removed it. The BBC cut this from the final edit. It was obviously all cut and edited by the BBC especially to cause controversy and presumably to gain viewers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/01/great-british-bake-off-star-diana-beards-daughter-accuses-bbc-of-exploiting-her-mum-4852512/

Notice the bit where it says they filmed Diana returning the Alaska to the freezer moments after she removed it. The BBC cut this from the final edit. It was obviously all cut and edited by the BBC especially to cause controversy and presumably to gain viewers.

Ooh, so if Diana didn't take the ice-cream from the fridge who did?

Diana clearly loves baking and I think it's really sad that an elderly lady has lost her sense of taste and smell which will obviously affect this important part of her life. It's horrible that, at a time when she deserves a bit of sympathy, she has been hung out to dry and exposed to death threats and really nasty abuse. If Iain does return to the show this Wednesday it makes all this nastiness seem even more unjustified.
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come on guys - while "bin-gate" is relevant to the current series can we please not re-ignite all the argument/vitriol about Ruby? Whatever people's views, can we move on and discuss this series? The amount of arguing and bile was really difficult to read last year on what is usually a good natured thread.
  • catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diana clearly loves baking and I think it's really sad that an elderly lady has lost her sense of taste and smell which will obviously affect this important part of her life. It's horrible that, at a time when she deserves a bit of sympathy, she has been hung out to dry and exposed to death threats and really nasty abuse. If Iain does return to the show this Wednesday it makes all this nastiness seem even more unjustified.

Well said.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Ooh, so if Diana didn't take the ice-cream from the fridge who did?

Good post.

I hope Iain doesn't return. There was no need for him to throw his toys out of the pram and storm off. Chetna's ice cream didn't set, she was seen scooping it up, but she still presented a bake to the judges. I have no sympathy for Iain, but I do have sympathy for Diana.
  • greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hallelujah, at last some sane people are realising that Diana is not the villain she was made out to be, but the BBC, in pursuit of higher ratings. Can we please now forget last weeks programme and concentrate on the next one. Though if there is any more spurious controversy I shall probably stop watching, I liked the gentle little baking show, I don't want to watch a clone of Big Brother!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Iain can't return to the show - it was filmed months ago.

But I agree with you re his actions. The calls for him to return are symptomatic of why some people find it hard to achieve. You can't just strop off when things go wrong. It's unprofessional and shows a lack of character. Chetna went up in my estimation for the way she dealt with her ice cream disaster.

He hinted on Newsnight that he might be returning as a replacement for Diana who had to drop out due to her fall. I guess we'll have to see on Wednesday.
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    greengran wrote: »
    Hallelujah, at last some sane people are realising that Diana is not the villain she was made out to be, but the BBC, in pursuit of higher ratings.

I don't know why they feel they have to do that. Why spoil a winning formula by trying to manipulate the viewers like that? If they're not careful they'll end up destroying the whole thing.
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not keen on what she said about the real nastiness was them being asked to bake such an embarrassingly retro dessert as Baked Alaska! That's ridiculous surely? Most of the things they'll be asked to bake are retro.
    I hate contestants who get snotty about the format after the event. She thinks she's clever .. must be disappointing for Mary to hear her talk that way as she had such faith in her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I don't think I am looking forward to this weeks Bake Off. I keep hearing that Ian is back in after Diana withdrew due to illness. If he was eliminated because he didn't produce anything for a show stopper, (even a disaster!) there is no way he should get his place back. If they want to fill the space left by Diana leaving why not get back the person who left in week 1? They only had one week to shine and giving them a second chance seems fairer to me than letting someone back who basically had a hissy fit, stomping out of the tent before the reveal to Paul & Mary.

I think this no matter whose fault it was the ice cream melted, that is almost irrelevant as it was his attitude that led to him losing out.

If he is back I am afraid I will be convinced it was all a natural result of moving to BBC1 and trying to add some 'reality magic' to a show that was quite lovely without it.

I realise of course that this was all filmed months ago which is another reason why it would make me cross! If they left Diana exposed to the abuse she has had all the while knowing Ian was back in the following week, that would be pretty low in my opinion....
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Summeriris wrote: »
    I thought she was very lovely. Beautiful eyes, even features and the loveliest skin I have ever seen. So yes, I do think she is beautiful. And I like her spirit. She wasn't whinging when she fought back against the pure nastiness of the Twitter crowd. The way she was treated on Twitter is the reason I closed my Twitter account. She and now Diana are the targets of a lot of really sad people and I find it despicable.

~ like his recipes as well. He knows what he is talking about.

She's pretty but no more so than a couple of other contestants. Her whinging didn't annoy me at all at first but after a while I was ready to headbutt the TV in annoyance!

The nastiness on Twitter came from both sides. Twitter gives some individuals the perfect opportunity to be vile to others. More fool her and Sue Perkins for engaging with these people. Instead of everyone throwing insults about, they should be ignored.

At least here on DS we can criticise under the forum rules. Twitter is a free for all.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Iain isn't back, However, regarding the Baked Alaska, I seem to have managed to live my entire 32 years of life without tasting it. Is it worth seeking it out? Just curios. OH hasn't had it either.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He hinted on Newsnight that he might be returning as a replacement for Diana who had to drop out due to her fall. I guess we'll have to see on Wednesday.

It would be wrong for him to return - he was sent home, and correctly so. There are no grounds for a reprieve.