Options

Cheryl Cole is too Old to start a POP career in America

Comments

• Options
    Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lucy mane wrote: »

Carefully edited flattering video vs morning after the night before paparazzi hounding.

not so sexy anymore

http://www.dollmyface.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/jennifer_lopez_no-makeup.jpg

Shakira would have been a better example. Argh I just realised I clicked on a Daily hate mail link, got to wash my hands now.
  • Options
    DarcyprincessDarcyprincess Posts: 25,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    I hate to be pedantic but she's 27.

She will do just fine.

Totally agree, I think that Cheryl will be a massive hit over there and she may not be the best of singers but she is a fantastic performer. So I am sure that her dancing and her singing will get her through to bigger and better things. I think that the Americans will love her, myself!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree, I think that Cheryl will be a massive hit over there and she may not be the best of singers but she is a fantastic performer. So I am sure that her dancing and her singing will get her through to bigger and better things. I think that the Americans will love her, myself!

She won't, I'd be stunned if she was successful there. I doubt she has the US X Factor job.
  • Options
    kleinzachkleinzach Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BP4L wrote: »
    Paul Potts didn't really have a career in the US, but I agree with the point.

2 US Tours is some kind of US career, I think...
  • Options
    Ian123Ian123 Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Can I dig up this thread please???

There's something captivating about Cheryl. She has a softness and delicacy about her and always seems to have this wide eyed look of enthusiasm.

She can defo make it in the US. She's already in a video with Will I Am.

Well lets wait and see....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cher is scary old and she is still at it. It's never too late for anything in life. If you think you can't then you won't. So think you can and you will.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about her age being a barrier so much as the fact she's completely shit at everything apart from punching black people in the face.

I'm not sure there's a commercially viable niche for that.

I love how some people are still willing to hold that against her when it happened many years ago :rolleyes: Then again, that's just typical logic from people like you on the internet, hardly innovative, are you? Something like that wouldn't look out of place as a comment on a Daily Fail article :rolleyes:

I guess I should make this clear: I'm hardly a fan of Cheryl, but if someone dug up something bad from my past and used it against me like that I'd be p***ed off 'cause I wouldn't be like that now (not that I really have any such things myself, just an example). I can't say for sure she won't do something similar in the future, but to my knowledge she hasn't done something like that for a long time ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love how some people are still willing to hold that against her when it happened many years ago :rolleyes: Then again, that's just typical logic from people like you on the internet, hardly innovative, are you? Something like that wouldn't look out of place as a comment on a Daily Fail article :rolleyes:

Certain sections of Digital Spy are identical to the Daily Mail. A while ago I got jumped on for saying anyone that reads it is a disgrace.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member
    deffo to old, not too old to be a tv star though
  • Options
    Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member
    Better tell them not to bother with an overs category in US X Factor and tell American Idol to lower its age limit to 18 then. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Ian123Ian123 Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Better tell them not to bother with an overs category in US X Factor and tell American Idol to lower its age limit to 18 then. :rolleyes:

Good point. :)
  • Options
    mitacondmitacond Posts: 105,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This!

Madonna is like 50 I think and people still love her. With the help of x factor us she'll make it.

How old was Madonna when she first became a 'star' in? I really cannot remember;)
  • Options
    mitacondmitacond Posts: 105,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It will be interesting to see what does happen there and if they do have an overs category;):).
  • Options
    iluvdanniiiluvdannii Posts: 3,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Putting age aside, I do think she will be mildly successfull but i think more as a tv personality/reality star (supposing she's on US x factor) i think she will have a mildly successful music career over there reason being is because A) very average voice B) people keep saying she's an amazing performer but as a performer what is she doing that is different to britney, miley cyrus, janet, madonna etc yeh she may be a good dancer but she's not the only popstar in the world that is a good performer. So I think she will be a hit but not an A-List phenomenon that simon cowell and England want/think she's gonna be. Rihanna and Lady gaga have something stand out and distinctive about them, Britney yeh she may not be the best singer but she's made herself an icon/phenomenon from a young age when the industry was very different
  • Options
    busy_beebusy_bee Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian123 wrote: »
    Can I dig up this thread please???

There's something captivating about Cheryl. She has a softness and delicacy about her and always seems to have this wide eyed look of enthusiasm.

She can defo make it in the US. She's already in a video with Will I Am.

Well lets wait and see....

That my dear, is sheer blind PANIC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mitacond wrote: »
    How old was Madonna when she first became a 'star' in? I really cannot remember;)

Her first single, Everybody, was released when she was 24. Her first hit, Holiday, was when she was 25 and her real breakthrough with Like A Virgin was at 26.
    mitacond wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what does happen there and if they do have an overs category;):).

I doubt they won't. For legal reasons, there have to be difference between any new shows and what is already on offer. If they weren't to have an overs category, they would be too much like American Idol.

AI's original age limits were 16-24 but they raised the upper age limit to 28 in season 4 after X Factor wasn't given the go-ahead in the US the first time. It has lowered its range to 15 for this season (still to 28) but was considering raising the age limit to 35. They weren't given the go-ahead for this and I can only imagine it would be because it would then be too similar to X Factor.
    iluvdannii wrote: »
    Putting age aside, I do think she will be mildly successfull but i think more as a tv personality/reality star (supposing she's on US x factor) i think she will have a mildly successful music career over there reason being is because A) very average voice B) people keep saying she's an amazing performer but as a performer what is she doing that is different to britney, miley cyrus, janet, madonna etc yeh she may be a good dancer but she's not the only popstar in the world that is a good performer. So I think she will be a hit but not an A-List phenomenon that simon cowell and England want/think she's gonna be. Rihanna and Lady gaga have something stand out and distinctive about them, Britney yeh she may not be the best singer but she's made herself an icon/phenomenon from a young age when the industry was very different

What does Rihanna have that is so stand out or distinctive?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duplicate post
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lucy mane wrote: »

Also, JLo is an infinitely better dancer, has more of a distinctive voice (even if it's not great) and has the best figure in the entire world :D

Only thing Cheryl has one up on J-Lo is the face, and even that's debateable:
    http://youthoughtso.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/jennifer-lopez-pregnant.jpg
    http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Jennifer-Lopez-ps02.jpg
    http://www.armenianweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/reality-show-jennifer-lopez.jpg

Cheryl in her best pics looks better than JLo in her average and Jlo in her best pics looks better than Cheryl in her average.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guess I should make this clear: I'm hardly a fan of Cheryl, but if someone dug up something bad from my past and used it against me like that I'd be p***ed off 'cause I wouldn't be like that now (not that I really have any such things myself, just an example). I can't say for sure she won't do something similar in the future, but to my knowledge she hasn't done something like that for a long time ;)

That's part and parcel of committing a crime though I'm afraid. It stays with you. People formed their opinions on her when she did it, and weren't taken in by her PR overhaul; so when prompted, they would cite this reason as why they dislike her.

The 'poor Cheryl, being put through this over something she did years ago' attitude is pathetic. Something she did years ago. Yes it might have been years ago but she did it. Yes she might have changed, but until people see proof of that they can believe what they want; what they know. Which is that she hit someone, and to this day she has never apoligised to the woman or said she is sorry. Sorry about 'the situation', yes, and she regrets 'the situation', but who wouldn't? It lost her reputation for a good while! But never did she show remorse for what she did.

So please stop trying to defend her, attacking other posters in the process. She did wrong; whatever you say won't change that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    snoopy10 wrote: »
    Also, JLo is an infinitely better dancer, has more of a distinctive voice (even if it's not great) and has the best figure in the entire world :D

Only thing Cheryl has one up on J-Lo is the face, and even that's debateable:
    http://youthoughtso.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/jennifer-lopez-pregnant.jpg
    http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Jennifer-Lopez-ps02.jpg
    http://www.armenianweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/reality-show-jennifer-lopez.jpg

Cheryl in her best pics looks better than JLo in her average and Jlo in her best pics looks better than Cheryl in her average.

Hugely debatable. I don't think much of JLo's figure - far too pear-shaped - but I don't see how any woman with a nose like an ice pick can be considered to have an exceptionally beautiful face.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The passing of time is no reason to forgive commiting a crime that involved harm to another person - never mind promoting the perpetrator's career and touting the perpetrator around as "the nation's sweetheart".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugely debatable. I don't think much of JLo's figure - far too pear-shaped - but I don't see how any woman with a nose like an ice pick can be considered to have an exceptionally beautiful face.

She doesn't have a nose like an ice pick. It's not her best feature but she makes up for it elsewhere and beats jlo.
  • Options
    luvandlifeluvandlife Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everybody seems to think Simon has the golden touch and will make Cheryl a superstar here. If that were the case, Leona Lewis would be far more successful over here than she is. Her first album did well over here but her second did not and she's not WILDLY popular here. Don't get me wrong, she's not a deadbeat here but there are people who like her but she's not as popular over here as the british press makes her out to be. Having said that, Cheryl with the backing of the U.S. XFactor MIGHT be successful as a t.v. presenter but her music is not going to sell over here. She doesn't fit in anywhere. Between Lady Gaga (who is like the queen of pop music right now), Beyonce, Katy, Rhianna, Britney, Pink, Christina, Miley and others she doesn't fit in anywhere. Hell,even little Willow Smith has brought something unique to the pop arena here. It's not that Cheryl's voice isn't strong enough (because trust me, neither is Katy's or Britney's) it's her MUSIC that is weak. And please don't mention Ke$ha being popular here. The only people that like her are meth heads.:D
  • Options
    luvandlifeluvandlife Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also let me add that people keep going on and on about how great a performer Cheryl is. I'm not trying to be rude but if you see her perform and then put her against some of the singers/performers/dancers here, she is very very ordinary. I'm not trying to make it seem like America has the best because we certainly don't but I'm SURE in all of the talent in Britain, there is someone that can sing and dance circles around Cheryl but yet the british press promotes her??? It's really mind boggling to be honest. AND on top of that her "look" is very ordinary. She's very pretty yes...but there are a million Cheryl's running around here and then there are girls that make her look very very plain. There is nothing edgy or interesting about her. She is a very generic and pedestrian pretty girl. The reason she is so massive in the UK is because she doesn't have any competition. Here? She's going to have to produce something a little bit edgier as far as her music and her look. Hey, I hope the chick makes it here but I doubt it. I even doubt she has the job but the press is making it seem like she has it. I don't think so.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also I think if Nadine Coyle released her music here, I think she'd be alot more popular than Cheryl. We either like big performers like Gaga or Britney or big singers like Mariah and Christina. Nadine is a big singer and she's very beautiful and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Nadine fan! :D:D
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Cheryl won't make it because of the competition.;)

Katy, Rihanna, GaGa and Ke$ha are all batshit crazy, and that's what made them at first.

Along with the fact that Cheryl's back catalogue pales in comparison. Fight For This Love will never have the iconography associated with Poker Face, Kissed A Girl or TiK ToK.