Why do people hate One Direction?

Comments

• zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just read their waxworks will be in Madame Tussaunds museum - I mean, how is that not premature to do? What have they accomplished so far that it deserves this? Sure, they broke America, but that is about it so far that was a huge achievement.

I mean, Backstreet Boys, Take That and Westlife that achieved a lot more than them in their their long careers to this day are not part of the museum, but 1D are after 3 years in the music business. And then some 1D fans get mad when people say they are truly overhyped...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    To counter the claims people are 'jealous of 1D' we could look at Paolo Nutini.

Paolo was young and attractive but quite well received which I think disproves we're against people with good looks becoming successful.

The critical part of Paolo being well received was, he could sing, he could play guitar, he could write a song, he was down to earth etc etc.
  • Winter004Winter004 Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    I just read their waxworks will be in Madame Tussaunds museum - I mean, how is that not premature to do? What have they accomplished so far that it deserves this? Sure, they broke America, but that is about it so far that was a huge achievement.

I mean, Backstreet Boys, Take That and Westlife that achieved a lot more than them in their their long careers to this day are not part of the museum, but 1D are after 3 years in the music business. And then some 1D fans get mad when people say they are truly overhyped...
    The reason why they're getting waxworks is because they have been top of the most requested list in the sydney, new york and London branches for the past 12 months. Like them or loathe them, they have a massive global appeal that few other boy bands have ever had.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winter004 wrote: »
    The reason why they're getting waxworks is because they have been top of the most requested list in the sydney, new york and London branches for the past 12 months. Like them or loathe them, they have a massive global appeal that few other boy bands have ever had.

And like, Backstreet Boys didn't have a massive global appeal? Their Millennium album sold 28 million copies worldwide. With Black & Blue, the album had the best sales in a week for an album in history by selling over 5 million copies in its first week of sales.

I just think it is too early for 1D to be in the museum,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And like, Backstreet Boys didn't have a massive global appeal? Their Millennium album sold 28 million copies worldwide. With Black & Blue, the album had the best sales in a week for an album in history by selling over 5 million copies in its first week of sales.

I just think it is too early for 1D to be in the museum,

I didn't say the backstreet boys didn't have massive global appeal, I think I referred to the fact that few other boybands have been as popular as 1d on a global scale! Take that weren't popular in america, neither were boyzone or westlife. BB were, but it is their home country, although take that and boyzone were arguably bigger than them in the Uk. Either way, if 1D waxworks are the most requested ones in three cities around the world, who are we to argue it's premature? ! There's clearly public demand for them, although on a personal level I fail to see the point!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't say the backstreet boys didn't have massive global appeal, I think I referred to the fact that few other boybands have been as popular as 1d on a global scale! Take that weren't popular in america, neither were boyzone or westlife. BB were, but it is their home country, although take that and boyzone were arguably bigger than them in the Uk. Either way, if 1D waxworks are the most requested ones in three cities around the world, who are we to argue it's premature? ! There's clearly public demand for them, although on a personal level I fail to see the point!

Hey, calm down - I just said my opinion, you don't have to agree with me. No need to get all worked up about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, calm down - I just said my opinion, you don't have to agree with me. No need to get all worked up about it.

I'm not worked up! My apologies if I came across that way though. To be honest, I find it amusing how some posters (I'm not referring to you) get so worked up over a fairly pleasant, harmless boy band. They act like they're the first popular boyband in the history of music or something!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    They are not only overhyped they are only hype!

:confused:
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    1D fans are very young - and when they grow up they'll be embarressed by that fact they once adored this band (hey, we'll all been there).

I'm rather embarrassed by some of the music I loved as a kid. I listened to a lot of rubbish. I even loved Hear'Say and Westlife :o
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

zeze you are always banging on about boybands in the past selling more than 1D. read enclosed article and especially the para on illegal downloads!!

http://whatculture.com/music/why-talent-shows-have-energised-the-music-scene.php#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=why-talent-shows-have-energised-the-music-scene

No one will sell the shed loads that Boyzone ,Beatles and TT etc used to sell. It is a fact of the digital age
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not worked up! My apologies if I came across that way though. To be honest, I find it amusing how some posters (I'm not referring to you) get so worked up over a fairly pleasant, harmless boy band. They act like they're the first popular boyband in the history of music or something!

And I have to say, I find it actually annoying, and I am certainly not referring to you, how so many 1D get so worked up when someone says something remotely negative about 1D - many of them can't accept the fact that not everyone will like them and that they will be hated. Sometimes even the boys can't understand that, they have to respond to every criticism in a very immature way via Twitter.

Boybands were always hated and frown upon, I don't know why some people can't acknowledge that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    zeze you are always banging on about boybands in the past selling more than 1D. read enclosed article and especially the para on illegal downloads!!

http://whatculture.com/music/why-talent-shows-have-energised-the-music-scene.php#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=why-talent-shows-have-energised-the-music-scene

No one will sell the shed loads that Boyzone ,Beatles and TT etc used to sell. It is a fact of the digital age

What is that have to do with anything? I simply stated these figures to show even more how much Backstreet Boys achieved over the years and they still DON'T have their waxworks, that is it.

And I know about illegal downloads and all, but nothing will ever change my mind that it is not possible to sell shed loads when I see how Take That's last 3 albums since they reformed, all passed 2 million mark and how Buble's Crazy Love sold 3 million copies in the UK alone. I'm sorry, it is possible - not 24K like Backstreet Boys, but it is certainly possible to sell over 1 million albums worldwide (Adele, Lady Gaga, Buble, Justin Timberlake...)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I have to say, I find it actually annoying, and I am certainly not referring to you, how so many 1D get so worked up when someone says something remotely negative about 1D - many of them can't accept the fact that not everyone will like them and that they will be hated. Sometimes even the boys can't understand that, they have to respond to every criticism in a very immature way via Twitter.

Boybands were always hated and frown upon, I don't know why some people can't acknowledge that.
    I imagine it's because their fans are so young! When I was that age woe betide anyone who criticised boyzone in my presence! The main difference was there was no internet/twitter etc back then. I would imagine with the group themselves, they occasionally get fed up with other acts taking pot shots at them, for no other reason than publicity sometimes, and their emotions get the better of them. They are all fairly young after all.
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused:

I'm rather embarrassed by some of the music I loved as a kid. I listened to a lot of rubbish. I even loved Hear'Say and Westlife :o

hey, get :o over hearsay, but not westlife!! "flying without wings" is still one of my fave songs!!:p:D along with 1D songs of course.:cool::cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine it's because their fans are so young! When I was that age woe betide anyone who criticised boyzone in my presence! The main difference was there was no internet/twitter etc back then. I would imagine with the group themselves, they occasionally get fed up with other acts taking pot shots at them, for no other reason than publicity sometimes, and their emotions get the better of them. They are all fairly young after all.

I understand what you mean. I guess I just don't get all this obsessiveness because I was never like that as a kid - I adored Westlife and I still do, but I never got crazy just because someone didn't like them - I understood they were hated by many people, it made me sad to hear that, but I never made a fuss about it. I guess my life was too serious to be like that, since I was born with cerebral palsy so I had different things to be worried about. Going off topic here, sorry:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is that have to do with anything? I simply stated these figures to show even more how much Backstreet Boys achieved over the years and they still DON'T have their waxworks, that is it.

And I know about illegal downloads and all, but nothing will ever change my mind that it is not possible to sell shed loads when I see how Take That's last 3 albums since they reformed, all passed 2 million mark and how Buble's Crazy Love sold 3 million copies in the UK alone. I'm sorry, it is possible - not 24K like Backstreet Boys, but it is certainly possible to sell over 1 million albums worldwide (Adele, Lady Gaga, Buble, Justin Timberlake...)[/QUOTE]

They had sold over 12million WW last August so don't understand your point

http://www.examiner.com/article/one-direction-celebrates-12-million-worldwide-sales

I understand that you felt sad about WestLife constant bashing (our family called them pondlife!) but never rose to the bait but can't you see that by constantly harping on about 1D's overhype and lack of sales is on a similar par. Why can't you just accept that they are doing very well at this moment in time and compared to others have achieved a lot of firsts (first to have number one album in USA, first to use twitter as a marketing tool, first to have their music DVD number 1 in USA for god knows how many weeks)

You might not agree that they deserve wax works but like all businesses if it is something a consumer wants then it is a good business decision
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I do like One Direction, but if I hear about Harry Styles love life again I may have to either kill myself or kill him or just cut his c*ck off. :mad::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had sold over 12million WW last August so don't understand your point

http://www.examiner.com/article/one-direction-celebrates-12-million-worldwide-sales

I understand that you felt sad about WestLife constant bashing (our family called them pondlife!) but never rose to the bait but can't you see that by constantly harping on about 1D's overhype and lack of sales is on a similar par. Why can't you just accept that they are doing very well at this moment in time and compared to others have achieved a lot of firsts (first to have number one album in USA, first to use twitter as a marketing tool, first to have their music DVD number 1 in USA for god knows how many weeks)

You might not agree that they deserve wax works but like all businesses if it is something a consumer wants then it is a good business decision

I don't see what you don't understand: you posted the link telling me that because of the illegal download, no one will have high sales anymore - so, I just posted a few artists that have no problem selling 10+ million albums worldwide.

I didn't even mention 1D in this context, but you did... saying that they sold 12 million copies last August is true, but that is records, which means albums, singles and DVDs combined. They sold only 3 million albums worldwide last August... I remember you got angry when I said that IFPI only sums up shipments and not actual sales, so it is not possible that they sold 4.4 million copies of Take Me Home by the end of 2012. What I said was true, as IFPI has annual Platinum Awards that awards the artists for their actual sales - 1D was awarded for selling 1 million copies of Take Me Home in Europe in 2012. So, the highest they could have sold worldwide would be close to 3 million, no way 4.4 million. I do believe that they reached that number now which is very good.

I don't understand why you are so angry when I say something negative about them. And I'm sorry, but it is NOT on par as I never called them Wand Erection, never said they can't sing, that they are talentless like many did here on DS forums. So it is not on par.

Saying that they are overhyped is my opinion and many agree with me. Same goes with their "lack" of sales, considering how much Simon worked to get them in every possible tv/radio show and magazine. You don't have to agree with me, but respect the fact that all that I say here is very polite and argumentative.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

The internet was around when Boyzone were around but it was only in its early days. Dial up anyone? :D
    abrightyz wrote: »
    hey, get :o over hearsay, but not westlife!! "flying without wings" is still one of my fave songs!!:p:D along with 1D songs of course.:cool::cool:

I'm embarrassed over Westlife because I slag them off a fair bit on here and they sung so many covers and bland middle of the road stuff that I can't believe I listened to them at one point :eek: I will admit they weren't too bad in their early days when they sung more original songs, but the covers ruined them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm embarrassed over Westlife because I slag them off a fair bit on here and they sung so many covers and bland middle of the road stuff that I can't believe I listened to them at one point :eek: I will admit they weren't too bad in their early days when they sung more original songs, but the covers ruined them.

Well, if you just check out their last 2 studio albums (Where We Are and Gravity), they had a lot of modern pop songs and very little covers - maybe you would be surprised how good they actually got. However, no one besides WL fans could notice that because of only 1 single that promoted the album.

I 100% that covers ruined them, even if I'm still a fan.

Listen to this for example, this was written by Mark, it is on their Greatest Hits album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HElBETmUpXI

Don't get mad for going off topic here people, this is just a 1 time ting - just ignore it;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see what you don't understand: you posted the link telling me that because of the illegal download, no one will have high sales anymore - so, I just posted a few artists that have no problem selling 10+ million albums worldwide.

I didn't even mention 1D in this context, but you did... saying that they sold 12 million copies last August is true, but that is records, which means albums, singles and DVDs combined. They sold only 3 million albums worldwide last August... I remember you got angry when I said that IFPI only sums up shipments and not actual sales, so it is not possible that they sold 4.4 million copies of Take Me Home by the end of 2012. What I said was true, as IFPI has annual Platinum Awards that awards the artists for their actual sales - 1D was awarded for selling 1 million copies of Take Me Home in Europe in 2012. So, the highest they could have sold worldwide would be close to 3 million, no way 4.4 million. I do believe that they reached that number now which is very good.

I don't understand why you are so angry when I say something negative about them. And I'm sorry, but it is NOT on par as I never called them Wand Erection, never said they can't sing, that they are talentless like many did here on DS forums. So it is not on par.

Saying that they are overhyped is my opinion and many agree with me. Same goes with their "lack" of sales, considering how much Simon worked to get them in every possible tv/radio show and magazine. You don't have to agree with me, but respect the fact that all that I say here is very polite and argumentative.

I am not angry at all. And definitely not me re the shipment comment ! I think you are mixing me up with someone else. I know nothing about shipment and sales hence no comment from me :D I am way too old to worry about stuff like this when there is more important stuff in real life to worry about. I think you and are on different wavelengths and whilst I agree they have had amazing opportunities and been advertised and promoted way more than other artists I still stand by my point that illegal downloading and vevo watching has decimated music sales.

I just can't help but notice that every 1D thread you are there commenting on their lack of sales and sorry but I always have to put my point across as I don't agree with you.

Let's just agree to disagree and carry on with life :D
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,217
    Forum Member
    I think even us fans knew that they weren't great on X Factor, but it's blatantly obvious they've improved since then - I think other people will respect them more if it wasn't for all the screaming at concerts. Their performances on Saturday Night Live are among their best because there was no screaming and the style of their performance was brilliant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not angry at all. And definitely not me re the shipment comment ! I think you are mixing me up with someone else. I know nothing about shipment and sales hence no comment from me :D I am way too old to worry about stuff like this when there is more important stuff in real life to worry about. I think you and are on different wavelengths and whilst I agree they have had amazing opportunities and been advertised and promoted way more than other artists I still stand by my point that illegal downloading and vevo watching has decimated music sales.

I just can't help but notice that every 1D thread you are there commenting on their lack of sales and sorry but I always have to put my point across as I don't agree with you.

Let's just agree to disagree and carry on with life :D

Exactly, lets just agree to disagree - if all of us would be exactly the same, the world would be a very boring place;)

Sorry about mixing you up with someone else about the IFPI - I know that you were there though, so I thought you would like to know that they were awarded for selling 1 million copies for Take Me Home in Europe by the end of the year and that list they posted is only about the shipments.

Anyway... I just read the article on DS about Taylor's new music video. Leave her and Harry alone already, they broke up months ago. I can't believe they actually wrote news about whether her video is about Harry or not:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    I don't really hate them, they seem nice enough, but I do hate when people try to give them credability. They're good at what they do, I know I would have loved them when I was about 13 or something - in the same way I loved S club 7 or Steps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    I think even us fans knew that they weren't great on X Factor, but it's blatantly obvious they've improved since then - I think other people will respect them more if it wasn't for all the screaming at concerts. Their performances on Saturday Night Live are among their best because there was no screaming and the style of their performance was brilliant.

That would be the appropriate word. They still can't sing, they can't write, they can't dance, the can't play instruments, honestly, where are their abilities apart from looking pretty and jump on every PR hype?
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,217
    Forum Member
    That would be the appropriate word. They still can't sing, they can't write, they can't dance, the can't play instruments, honestly, where are their abilities apart from looking pretty and jump on every PR hype?

First of all, they don't dance (rather than 'cannot dance'), and two of them can play guitar.

They probably haven't been challenged enough yet.