Options

midnight launch

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
Forum Member
✭✭
has anyone been to one of these.

im tempted to pre order the ps4 whide destiny bundle for the midnight launch of sep 09

i could just about afford the £350 but will be skint for a few weeks.

Comments

• Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to the 3ds one, there was cheese and nibbles. Was quite fun. A friend went to a Black Ops one and got a lanyard and some posters etc while waiting in the queue.
  • Options
    He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    One of my close friends doesn't drive and i offered to take him to the midnight release of Call of Duty: Black ops. It was one of the weirdest gaming related experiences iv'e ever had.

We started queuing up at around 11:30pm and were around 100 people back from the front. Most of the queue seemed to be teenagers with the odd couple thrown in here and there. I got bored after 20 mins so left my mate in the queue while i sat on a bench and played on my phone for a bit. When it got to midnight i could hear the chanting coming from inside the shop "10,9,8,7.........." before a big cheer erupted and people started to emerge with their games, some struggling to get out with their massive collectors editions.What i saw for the next 15 minutes were grown men coming out of the shop pulling games out of their bags and kissing them and raising them in the air like a footballer kisses and lifts the cup when they've won.The car park seemed to be full of boy racer type cars,Vauxaull Corsas with massive exhaust pipes and 'go faster' stripes. The whole event was bizarre.

The funny thing, is that we went to McDonalds after we picked the game up and didn't get back until after 1am. When we arrived back home my mate passed out on the sofa, so i threw a blanket over him and went to bed without taking the game out of the cellophane . The next morning i got up drove to Asda to pick up my pre-order and when i got back i was playing it before he even woke up, so it was pointless.

Obviously, this was a Call of duty release, so a release for Destiny for example could and will probably attract a much different demographic.

Personally, i like to order online and wait for the postie while i potter around the house.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just worried about walking back to my car on my own at 12 am. as i its in a shopping center so ill have a bit of a walk back lol

im sure it will fine though
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to the 360 launch night at Game. My friend and I showed up at like 11:50pm to see a decent size queue outside and tons of people inside. I wasn't too worried as I had pre-ordered. I was hoping for some free gifts or anything but got nothing, just the pleasure of standing in the cold for 45min before being let into the shop to queue for another hour.

Didn't get out the shop till like 1am. As we were walking out with a massive Game bag I heard someone go "Oh he must have the new Xbox", as we walked further down the street I could hear someone else point it out. My friend and I started to worry a little with the attention we were drawing so we quickly jumped into a taxi and went home.

She went to her room as she couldn't care less about games and I started to plug it in. When I put a game in and heard how loud the DVD drive was I thought there was something wrong with the console so I turned it off and fell asleep on the sofa with my laptop on the Xbox.com forums looking to see if anyone else was complaining about the noise :p

Wouldn't do it again when I could have just gone first thing in the morning to get the console.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've done a few midnight console launches, all without incident, but I've always planned ahead and taken precautions, such as nearby parking and never going alone.
  • Options
    simasima Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a COD one & GTA midnight launch

COD they ran out off copies , just got mine but not happy chappies (about 200) no COD after a few hours standing in q, police turned up to keep the peace

GTA was just a q of everyone smoking joints.
  • Options
    ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to a 6am launch for the PSP (the Game was in a shopping centre and couldn't open at midnight). Not much happened, I got there about 30mins early, spent over £400 then walked home.

My PS3, Vita and PS4 were ordered online and delivered home.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been to two.

My first was the midnight launch of Halo 3 at my local GAME. I'd pre-ordered a "Legendary Edition" of the game, and was paying with store credit so couldn't just get it online.

My second was for COD Modern Warfare 1 or 2 (can't remember) at ASDA, purely because they were selling it for something silly like £28 at launch.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I think the last one I done was Forza 3. I was the only person there :p When I went to pick up GTAIV at midnight it was very busy, full of unwashed chavs and tbh pretty offputting, which is why I don't do it these days, there's really no need.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I went into a 24 hr Tesco at midnight to get Arkham City if that counts.
  • Options
    OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Never been to a midnight launch but when the Wii was scarce, word got out that Toys R Us beside where I live we're getting some on stock so I went & queued at about 3:30am for them opening. There was about a dozen people in front of me when I got there and another dozen or so arrived after me, with some getting turned away
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I went into a 24 hr Tesco at midnight to get Arkham City if that counts.

I got Uncharted 3 at midnight in my 24hour Tesco. Just me buying a game. Everyone else seemed bleary eyed, slowed up and buying A LOT of crisps. As always seems to be case...
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kcspurs wrote: »
    just worried about walking back to my car on my own at 12 am. as i its in a shopping center so ill have a bit of a walk back lol

im sure it will fine though

At least its not the console launch. Should be safe.