Worst/Best Number 1 of 2014

Arran_DempsterArran_Dempster Posts: 3,052
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Rank/Discuss the following number ones!

Pitbull ft. Ke$ha - Timber (1 week)

Pharrell Williams - Happy (3 weeks - biggest selling single - 3x plat.)

Clean Bandit ft. Jess Glynne - Rather Be (4 weeks - longest number one, biggest selling one week sales, fastest selling single)

Sam Smith - Money on My Mind (1 week)

Route 94 ft. Jess Glynne - My Love (1 week)

DVBBS & Borgeous ft. Tinie Tempah - Tsunami (Jump) (1 week)

Duke Dumont ft. Jax Jones - I Got U (1 week)

5 Seconds of Summer - She Looks So Perfect (1 week)

Aloe Blacc - The Man (1 week)

Sigma - Nobody To Love (1 week)

Kiesza - Hideaway (1 week, 2nd highest debut)

Mr. Probz - Waves (Remix) (2 weeks)

Calvin Harris - Summer (1 week)

Rita Ora - I Will Never Let You Down (1 week, tied withGeri Halliwell for most british female #1s, only female singer with no guest features)

Sam Smith - Stay With Me (1 week)

Secondcity - I Wanna Feel (1 week)

Ed Sheeran - Sing (1 week)

Ella Henderson - Ghost (1 week, 3rd fastest selling, only female lead artist to have multiple weeks at #1)

Oliver Heldens & Becky Hill - Gecko (Overdrive) (1 week)

Ariana Grande ft. Iggy Azalea - Problem (1 week, only #1 with a non-Brit female as he lead singer, only female collaboration at number one but 'Bang Bang' may change that. First song to chart inc. streams)

will.i.am. ft. Cody Wise - It's My Birthday (1 week)

Rixton - Me and My Broken Heart (1 week, lowest first week sales, only british boy band at #1 so far)

Cheryl Cole ft. Tinie Tempah - Crazy Stupid Love (1 week, tied with Rita and Geri)

Magic! - Rude (1 week, first song to climb to number one that was released this year)
Nico & Vinz (2 weeks, lowest selling number 1 in the second week)

David Guetta - Lovers on The Sun (1 week)

LILLYWOOD & Robin Schulz - Prayer In C (TBA, #1 in iTunes chart all week.)

Rank and discuss away ^_^

Comments

• boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weird that there's a lot of 1 week number 1's these days. Im surprised to see Hideaway was only there for 1 week it seemed so huge at the time.
    Lots of weak No1's this yr. The one I can't stand is Rude- insipid, bland, quaint white mans cod-reggae. Just crap! Who buys this drivel??
  • hadjilouca05hadjilouca05 Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    Worst number ones this year for me include "Timber", "Money On My Mind", "Ghost", "Problem", "It's My Birthday", "Me & My Broken Heart" and "Crazy Stupid Love". I haven't put "Happy" on the list because it was released in 2013 and reached number one in 2013.
  • hadjilouca05hadjilouca05 Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    Rank/Discuss the following number ones!

Pharrell Williams - Happy (3 weeks - biggest selling single - 3x plat.)

"Happy" as actually spent a total of 4 weeks at number 1, first reaching number 1 in 2013 therefore, it's classed as a number 1 of 2013.
  • xKatieLxxKatieLx Posts: 4,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best were Ed Sheeran Sing, Ella Henderson Ghost, David Guetta Lovers on The Sun, Waves and Clean Bandit Rather Be.

It's My Birthday was the worst. Happy is overplayed now and I've never liked Hideaway. If I'd to pick one it'd be Hideaway.
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't heard all of those, but I'd say 'She Looks So Perfect' for the worst and 'Rather Be' for the best.
  • Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    'Nobody To Love' and 'Rude' are the only two I'd include in a list of my fave #1s of the decade - both deriative of things that have gone before (standard pop&bass/Police-style pop-reggae) but both doing them genuinely well, Nobody To Love choosing a great uplifting sample and Rude's just a nice summery track with a decent melody.

I can't listen to Happy. I still don't understand how something so utterly bland is going to be the biggest-selling song of the entire century - all I can imagine is that little kids and grannies like it along with your standard teenage pop audience. I actually prefer 'Mull of Kintyre' to it (which sold a big amount in the 70s for similar reasons) as at least McCartney gave that a nice, well-thought out tune in comparison. Happy's just Pharrell talking crap for three minutes.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad you provided a list as I wouldn't have been able to name one, in fact I've never heard a single one of those.
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best would have to be Stay With Me, Ghost, I Will Never Let You Down and Waves.

Worst would be Crazy Stupid Love, Happy, Problem and It's My Birthday. Sick to death of Happy, I haven't heard most of the others don't or know them by tittle.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rita ora and lillywood are the only two i like... the rest are really crap in varying degrees.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    EXCELLENT

Clean Bandit ft. Jess Glynne - Rather Be (easily the best #1 of 2014 so far, probably of the year the way things are going)
    Ella Henderson - Ghost
    LILLYWOOD & Robin Schulz - Prayer In C (already ranked so high because I've been listening to this since early June)

GREAT

Duke Dumont ft. Jax Jones - I Got U
    Sigma - Nobody To Love
    Sam Smith - Stay With Me
    Ed Sheeran - Sing
    Pitbull ft. Ke$ha - Timber

GOOD

Kiesza - Hideaway (really liked it at first, but it's become boring now)
    David Guetta feat. Sam Martin - Lovers on The Sun
    Pharrell Williams - Happy (would've been ranked higher earlier in the year but I'm seriously bored of this song now)
    Mr. Probz - Waves (Remix)
    Oliver Heldens & Becky Hill - Gecko (Overdrive) (grew on me more after its release)
    Calvin Harris - Summer (this actually grew on me weeks after its release - definitive slow burner imo)

AVERAGE

Nico & Vinz - Am I Wrong?
    Magic! - Rude
    Route 94 ft. Jess Glynne - My Love

CRAP

Rita Ora - I Will Never Let You Down
    Ariana Grande ft. Iggy Azalea - Problem
    DVBBS & Borgeous ft. Tinie Tempah - Tsunami (Jump)
    Sam Smith - Money on My Mind
    5 Seconds of Summer - She Looks So Perfect
    Rixton - Me and My Broken Heart
    Secondcity - I Wanna Feel (as much as I love dance music, this really was nondescript)

JUST...NO!!!

Cheryl Cole ft. Tinie Tempah - Crazy Stupid Love
    Aloe Blacc - The Man (most pointless #1 of the year - still convinced this only did well because of the association with Wake Me Up. I Need A Dollar is miles better than this)
    will.i.am. ft. Cody Wise - It's My Birthday (...but this is the worst #1 of the year)

To conclude, it's not been a stellar year for UK #1 singles when compared to 2013. So many forgettable chart toppers, pre-ordering has a lot to answer for.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst for me:

It's My Birthday (absolute dross, I guess will.i.am sells on his name and repetitiveness, but even so...the guy's quirky and charming, why does his music have to be so crap?)

and also
    My Love - I'm still absolutely baffled as to how what is basically a looped instrumental club track was for a week the biggest selling single in the country. Jess Glynne is clearly a good singer (Rather Be), and she has about four words in that song. House is a great genre of music but that song just is not a good example of it in the slightest. Was it used in an ad or something to propel it to the top?
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best:

Ella Henderson - Ghost
    Clean Bandit - Rather Be
    MAGIC! - Rude
    Ed Sheeran - Sing
    Sam Smith - Stay With Me

Worst:

will.i.am - It's My Birthday
    Rixton - My and My Broken Heart

Bonus Round - Songs that I wouldn't recognise because they're probably generic dance tunes:

DVBBS & Borgeous ft Tinie Tempah - Tsunami
    Route 94 ft Jess Glynne - My Love
    Duke Dumont ft Jax Jones - I Got U
    Sigma - Nobody To Love
    Kiesza - Hideaway
    Mr Probz - Waves
    Secondcity - I wanna Feel
    Nico and Vinz - Am I Wrong

The rest range somewhere between "eh" to "ok" to me.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I'm glad you provided a list as I wouldn't have been able to name one, in fact I've never heard a single one of those.

Same here. Don't know any of them. Not one.

It's quite extraordinary that hardly any song spent more than a week at the top but this has been the case for a decade and a half now.
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    Worst- Money On My Mind
    Best- Crazy Stupid Love

That is my opinion though.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »

Bonus Round - Songs that I wouldn't recognise because they're probably generic dance tunes:

I've spent the last couple of hours actually listening to all those songs since I hadn't heard any of them and to be honest they could almost all fit into the "generic dance" category. The lack of variability in the list is astonishing. It represents a hideously narrow demographic - fine if you like that sort of thing, you're obviously spoilt for choice but if you're not a fan of dancefloor music then you're stuffed as far as the charts go.

Even if you like artists who play instruments the few artists represented here are woeful - 5 Seconds of Summer are basically Busted, Ed Sheeran is a joke, Rixton...well I don't know what the hell they were supposed to be. Sounded like Bruno Mars and Magic were awful cod-reggae shite.

Pharrell's "Happy" was quite listenable but not at all surprising to learn it was used in a kids' cartoon and the will.i.am track was fairly amusing, much as I'm at pains to admit.

I wouldn't listen to any of these songs a second time, though.
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best: Ella Henderson Ghost (LOVE LOVE LOVE Ella)

Worst: Pharrell Happy (F**KING HATE THAT SONG!!!!!!!!!!)
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best: Rather Be
    Worst: Rude
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    Best: Ella Henderson Ghost (LOVE LOVE LOVE Ella)

Worst: Pharrell Happy (F**KING HATE THAT SONG!!!!!!!!!!)

I'd agree with this.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    I'Rixton...well I don't know what the hell they were supposed to be.

The lead singer in Rixton is most famous for Shane Richie being his dad. I'm still convinced that's the only reason their single got to #1. Like most of this years chart toppers they will be completely forgotten about soon.

We'll look back at these chart toppers in 5 years time and think "wow, how did THAT get to #1?". I was thinking that on the Sundays when the chart was announced. :D
  • The SnowmanThe Snowman Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best: Either Rather Be or Ghost
    Worst: It's My Birthday
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody hell there ISN'T a best. Got to be one of the worst list of number 1s ever. None of these will be considered classics in years to come.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And noone disagrees :D
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of those I've heard...

Best
    Ghost
    Happy
    Stay With Me
    Sing
    Crazy Stupid Love

Worst

Problem
    I Will Never Let You Down
    It's My Birthday
  • SevenSeizeSevenSeize Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    FANTASTIQUE
    Duke Dumont ft. Jax Jones - I Got U an INSTANT anthem
    Kiesza - Hideaway - most 'iconic' #1 of the year by far, those vocals *.*
    Clean Bandit ft. Jess Glynne - Rather Be
    Mr. Probz - Waves (Remix) still enjoy this a lot!
    LILLYWOOD & Robin Schulz - Prayer In C

VERY MUCH LIKE THESE
    Route 94 ft. Jess Glynne - My Love
    Ariana Grande ft. Iggy Azalea - Problem
    Nico & Vinz - Am I Wrong
    Ella Henderson - Ghost
    Pharrell Williams - Happy
    Cheryl Cole ft. Tinie Tempah - Crazy Stupid Love Enjoyed this a surprising amount, SOOO much better than that 'Call My Name' dreck from 2 years ago
    Sigma - Nobody To Love highly unoriginal, but a great little hook nonetheless
    Oliver Heldens & Becky Hill - Gecko (Overdrive)
    Ed Sheeran - Sing

DECENT
    Pitbull ft. Ke$ha - Timber
    Secondcity - I Wanna Feel
    5 Seconds of Summer - She Looks So Perfect
    Rita Ora - I Will Never Let You Down
    Aloe Blacc - The Man

NOT A FAN
    DVBBS & Borgeous ft. Tinie Tempah - Tsunami (Jump) quite like the original, not so much this one though
    David Guetta - Lovers on The Sun hi there Avicii ^.^
    Sam Smith - Money on My Mind
    Magic! - Rude
    Sam Smith - Stay With Me Fabulous singer and all, but this song is DULL AS DISHWATER
    Rixton - Me and My Broken Heart just harmless MOR-Maroon5-esque stuff, but as #1s go, this was a huge non-event

*puke*
    will.i.am. ft. Cody Wise - It's My Birthday got grating VERY fast
    Calvin Harris - Summer the absolute worst; a predictable vanilla-fest that the UK typically lapped up, BLEGH.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy's just Pharrell talking crap for three minutes.

I love this. :D

Rather Be has surely been killed now it's on an M&S advert.