judges picking idol over x factor?

big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
Forum Member
✭✭
i wonder if many potential judges are holding out because they would want to be doing american idol, seeing as the judges could all be leaving for the next season.

cheryl cole would be a good judge as would will.i.am and faith hill, even rihanna and katy perry would be good on idol or x factor but would probably want an established show like idol

Comments

• MatejaMateja Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i wonder if many potential judges are holding out because they would want to be doing american idol, seeing as the judges could all be leaving for the next season.

cheryl cole would be a good judge as would will.i.am and faith hill, even rihanna and katy perry would be good on idol or x factor but would probably want an established show like idol

LOL, Idol's ratings are falling off the cliff. It's a dinosaur going into it's 13th season. And Idol offered Katy Perry 20 million dollars to judge season 12 (more than Mariah) and she refused. Rihanna is now on tour and I also don't see her judging Idol. Will.i.am is on The Voice UK.

Idol will be hunting for new judges soon, but I think XF is looking for different judges.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    If anything, they'll all want a piece of The Voice USA which managed to get a real superstar panel.

Idol may have ratings in decline, but it's viewed as infinitely more credible than X Factor (which never had high enough ratings for them to be seen to decline!)
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anything, they'll all want a piece of The Voice USA which managed to get a real superstar panel.

Idol may have ratings in decline, but it's viewed as infinitely more credible than X Factor (which never had high enough ratings for them to be seen to decline!)

exactly, maybe this series of the x factor will be the last and that may be affecting their decision too
  • dillandillan Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Nicki Minaj was on Alan Carr Chattyman, she confirmed that she was asked to judge XF (not sure if it was UK or US) but said no and said yes to Idol because it was a "bigger show"

Edit

I just re-read the post and this is about this series lol.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dillan wrote: »
    When Nicki Minaj was on Alan Carr Chattyman, she confirmed that she was asked to judge XF (not sure if it was UK or US) but said no and said yes to Idol because it was a "bigger show".

exactly its made some really credible artists
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since Mariah and Nicki proved to be humungous flops on Idol and Britney bombed on X Factor, FOX aren't chasing names anymore.

Idol is miles away from choosing new judges and when they do it won't be Katy Perry or Rihanna. They're not holding out, they're just not in a position where they need or want to do a TV talent show regardless of the format.

And these days, Idol is no safer a bet than X Factor.
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American Idol has completely crashed down to be not much above X Factor USA. In 2011 the final got about 30m viewers and the final just gone had 14.3m That is one hell of a drop. Paired with Britney on X Factor, there is no way any big names will want to be associated with it because it isn't worth it, just as FOX won't pay out for the names anymore. Last year there were rumours of Cheryl Cole joining American Idol, with the way X Factor USA rumours have gone I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen next year.
  • Dreammaster695Dreammaster695 Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idols rating will incres next season while x factors will fall flat on its face i heard the contract ends this series so if the ratings dont go well for season 3 x factor usa will be axed
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idols rating will incres next season while x factors will fall flat on its face i heard the contract ends this series so if the ratings dont go well for season 3 x factor usa will be axed

The contract was only ever one year at a time - it's the same for Idol now as well.

Idol fell so much across this season that it is guaranteed to be down next year as well. There's no way the next season will open with the kind of ratings that this year did. And it's not like yet another panel overhaul is going to generate any interest whatsoever. They can hardly top Mariah and Nicki.

X Factor will also be down this year. The question is by how much. At the end of the day, these shows will survive so long as the ratings are better than could be reasonably expected from the replacement.

Fortunately for Idol and X Factor, everything else is falling pretty fast too.
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LW09 wrote: »
    Last year there were rumours of Cheryl Cole joining American Idol, with the way X Factor USA rumours have gone I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen next year.

What?! Really?!!
    I doubt they'd hire someone who had been sacked off another talent show. As nice as Cheryl is and caring towards her contestants, I think she's a bit overrated as a judge. :o

They might as well hire Jen Lopez again. There's already rumours she'll be going back.

Personally, the only person Idol should re-hire is Simon Cowell. But I can't see it ever happening.
  • EEAS1997EEAS1997 Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I would imagine that potential judges would rather go on The X Factor? Admittedly it's not the biggest of the show's but because there's only been two seasons I think that artists/producers may see it as the show which has the most potential considering it's not an old format like AI. The voice hasn't created stars and so that's a limitation to becoming a coach on that show. While the American show is yet to make any stars, the UK show is renound for being the best talent show in the world when it comes to producing major GLOBAL stars and this probably gives hope to potential judges in the USA.

I think also judges may see The X Factor as a way of reaching a younger demographic which is becoming more and more important in the music business. The X Factor has a great young fan base.
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member

Can you predict the future that you say this with so much certainty?

American Idol is boring, the XF is not. I don't know what the judging criteria is to be the next American Idol is about having good vocals? It's so ambiguous on the show. Whereas the X Factor is all about its name - it's all about finding someone with a certain je ne sais quoi. X Factor is about the whole package...what the heck is American Idol about? At least the Voice keeps to its theme as well and makes no ambiguous statements about finding the Voice.

American Idol is boring because there's no sort of magnetic quality about it and there's no theme to associate it too. In that way, the Voice and the XF are winners - based around clever, easy to understand themes.
  • brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if Paulina is doing X-Factor obviously the natural choice for Idol has to be her mortal enemy Thalia.

Also the press would have a field day with the present and past Mrs Tommy Mottola on the panel which means Mariah can stay.

In fact get Tommy on the panel too.
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EddyEagal wrote: »
    Personally I would imagine that potential judges would rather go on The X Factor? Admittedly it's not the biggest of the show's but because there's only been two seasons I think that artists/producers may see it as the show which has the most potential considering it's not an old format like AI.

A fair UK comparison would probably be a big name being offered both The Voice UK and The X Factor UK.

The Voice is moderately successful but is struggling critically and to an extent in the ratings whilst not really making any kind of impact (just like X Factor USA) whereas X Factor UK is the bigger show of the two but is showing signs of decline (just like American Idol).
  • brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose the main pull of Idol would be the money.

It's might be declining but it's still a declining juggernaut which would probably pay whatever you asked them if they really wanted you. I doubt they've reach the point yet where they're not prepared to throw money at the 'right' person to save the show.

Where I'd say X-Factor is at that point where it's shot it's load in the first two seasons and will now just pay what they want to pay and if you don't like it they'll ask Michelle Williams instead.
  • HughOSHughOS Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Idol is still the top dog of these shows but it did show a rather sharp decline this year compared to last, which may make some bigger names wary of signing on especially after the mixed at best reception that Mariah and Nicki got.

The Voice is going to burn out soon. It's ratings are solid for the first two rounds but then they crash and burn at the live shows and airing two cycles per year is only going to accelerate the decline. Part of the reason why Idol is still such a juggernaut after 12 years is because it only aired once a year and was a big event. Now with three singing shows airing 4 cycles every year the audiences are being cannibalized.

X Factor US is a bit of a dark horse. It's definitely the underdog at the moment. Simon made a mess of bringing it over to the states and made a lot of wrong assumptions about the audience. But still, I would be very slow to write him or TXF off completely. While it may not have gotten as huge ratings as was expected, the contestants always have the largest social media following, the most buzz and are the most visible after the show. So they're getting one aspect right at least Perhaps this new panel (I know I said this time last year too) will be a turning point. But at the same time it could very easily flop.
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HughOS wrote: »
    Idol is still the top dog of these shows but it did show a rather sharp decline this year compared to last, which may make some bigger names wary of signing on especially after the mixed at best reception that Mariah and Nicki got.

One of the largest issues I have heard about this season was that the 'feud' or disconnect between Mariah and Niki overshadowed what the show was supposed to be about. Mariah calling Nikki a gangster and Nikki calling Mariah "her highness over there" were weekly chat show topics. It wasn't about the contestants anymore, but two high profile Divas and entertainment news listening to every word waiting for a story. I think that is what threw people off. You could have a big star to somehow add 'credibility' but sometimes it can backfire. I never quite understood why Nikki was chosen to be honest. I didnt mind at all JLO, Steven tyler and Randy. I think four is too many, but I guess producers felt they needed a buffer between the two women and Randy. Say what one wants about Paula, she is quite loved by the public as much as she is ribbed for her Paula-isms.

You are right it still is top dog among these type of shows and the name still has a lot of credibility and potential life to it. People will always tune in to see what is new with AI so hopefully the producers will choose some good people (opinionated is fine) but without a lot of drama. I think thats the mistake they made thinking people would tune in for the judges shenanigans along with the contestants struggles.
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think some celebraties prefer Idol because it would take up less of their time. They don't need to worry about being mentors/coaches to the contestants - they can just sit at their desk sipping whatever is in their coke cups and watch the performances.

The other reason could be that Idol is till the only show that has discovered sucessful contestants. Despite the bad rating this year, I think Kree, Candice and Angie will to pretty well (at least at first). Maybe some of these potential judges don't want to be associated with a show that has only generated a bunch of flops so far?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some celebraties prefer Idol because it would take up less of their time. They don't need to worry about being mentors/coaches to the contestants - they can just sit at their desk sipping whatever is in their coke cups and watch the performances.

The other reason could be that Idol is till the only show that has discovered sucessful contestants. Despite the bad rating this year, I think Kree, Candice and Angie will to pretty well (at least at first). Maybe some of these potential judges don't want to be associated with a show that has only generated a bunch of flops so far?

I disagree with what you're saying regarding The X Factor not producing a star. The X Factor brand has created at least three big stars in America. Everyone knows who was behind One Direction, Leona Lewis, Cher Lloyd and those names (more so the first two) are much bigger stars than any other talent show has created.

I think realistically we shouldn't look at The X Factor based on it's country but more on the brand of the show because ultimately that's what makes it have so much potential.

If the UK show hadn't created any stars nor the US show, then of course it would be hard to find anyone who would want to judge either show.

The fact that The X Factor has created the biggest artists in recent years attracts people to judge the show.

It hardly stormed America in Season 1, but yet they still could get Britney on board? While obviously the pay cheque was clearly the main reason she did it, I am sure she wouldn't put her name to a brand which hasn't created a star and therefore hasn't lived up to its ethos.

American Idol has been going for 12 years and have only really discovered three stars: Kelly Clarkson, Adam Lambert and Jennifer Hudson. And only one of them has hit the big time globally (Kelly).

X Factor is only just entering it's 10th year and have found three GLOBAL stars (possibly even four considering that Olly Murs is hitting America) and it's also created Alexandra Burke, JLS, Rebecca Ferguson who have all had hit singles in the UK. Also, James Arthur's single last year was the fastest selling single of the year in the UK. He's going to be massive.

Three series into the UK show we found Leona Lewis. Maybe the same is going to happen in the USA. Maybe this year will be their breakthrough year in terms of a strong panel and a strong winner to go on to actually have success. It's really too early to write off The X Factor because it's only been going two years. Give it a chance and it might just surprise everyone. This platform has been proved to create huge stars so it's bound to happen again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember the last hit record by an American Idol winner. Each one has been one bland white male winner after another. Hopefully this year's winner will be a different story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EddyEagal wrote: »
    American Idol has been going for 12 years and have only really discovered three stars: Kelly Clarkson, Adam Lambert and Jennifer Hudson. And only one of them has hit the big time globally (Kelly).

X Factor is only just entering it's 10th year and have found three GLOBAL stars (possibly even four considering that Olly Murs is hitting America) and it's also created Alexandra Burke, JLS, Rebecca Ferguson who have all had hit singles in the UK. Also, James Arthur's single last year was the fastest selling single of the year in the UK. He's going to be massive.

Three series into the UK show we found Leona Lewis. Maybe the same is going to happen in the USA. Maybe this year will be their breakthrough year in terms of a strong panel and a strong winner to go on to actually have success. It's really too early to write off The X Factor because it's only been going two years. Give it a chance and it might just surprise everyone. This platform has been proved to create huge stars so it's bound to happen again.

Totally disagree about the BIB - if you're going to put Adam Lambert on that list then you need to include Carrie, Fantasia and Daughtry at least. Carrie and Daughtry have sold millions, and Fantasia has sold a respectable amount of her first 3 albums and her fourth entered the charts at number 2. Even contestants who aren't seen as superstars (Lauren Alaina, Haley Reinhart, James Durbin etc) manage to peak in the top 20 of the album chart. Even this year's top 3 are doing well on itunes following their single releases after the final. Amercan Idol may not be churning out multi platinum superstars every year but the fact that they manage to find a group of contestants each season who acheive some kind of success speaks for itself.

Things are looking up a bit for XFUS after Tate's album went top 20 and Emblem 3 and Fith Harmony have a bit of buzz, but so far none of their contestants have made any real impact. I agree that it could possibly happen this year but until it does I think a lot of people will still prefer to judge Idol.

As far as the UK contestants go, they might be used as selling point, but most of them made a name for themselves in america off their own back, rather than being associated with the show. Therefore I doubt that people will want to judge the XFUS just because the UK version discovered 1D for example, as 1Ds success in america isn't really that closely linked to the franchise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    I can't remember the last hit record by an American Idol winner. Each one has been one bland white male winner after another. Hopefully this year's winner will be a different story.

Last year's winner sold over 4m copies of his first single, so i'm sure that qualifies as a hit :D His second single is doing pretty well too.

There's not guarantee this success will last into his second album (based on the previous WGWG winners it probably wont) but one big hit is better than none I guess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Idol has Daughty, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson, Clay Aiken and Adam Lambert (Plus Phillip Phillips isn't doing too badly.) It has discovered well more than "3 stars"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally disagree about the BIB - if you're going to put Adam Lambert on that list then you need to include Carrie, Fantasia and Daughtry at least. Carrie and Daughtry have sold millions, and Fantasia has sold a respectable amount of her first 3 albums and her fourth entered the charts at number 2. Even contestants who aren't seen as superstars (Lauren Alaina, Haley Reinhart, James Durbin etc) manage to peak in the top 20 of the album chart. Even this year's top 3 are doing well on itunes following their single releases after the final. Amercan Idol may not be churning out multi platinum superstars every year but the fact that they manage to find a group of contestants each season who acheive some kind of success speaks for itself.

Things are looking up a bit for XFUS after Tate's album went top 20 and Emblem 3 and Fith Harmony have a bit of buzz, but so far none of their contestants have made any real impact. I agree that it could possibly happen this year but until it does I think a lot of people will still prefer to judge Idol.

As far as the UK contestants go, they might be used as selling point, but most of them made a name for themselves in america off their own back, rather than being associated with the show. Therefore I doubt that people will want to judge the XFUS just because the UK version discovered 1D for example, as 1Ds success in america isn't really that closely linked to the franchise.

1D being so huge is all down to Simon and so them breaking America is linked hugely with the franchise. Without Simon (X Factor) 1D wouldn't be as big as they are in America. Simon also used his shows as a platform for 1D. Even before they became huge in America Simon was using them whilst promoting X Factor USA.

But yeah, your points are right on the AI contestants. I didn't realise the amount of contestants that went onto have a career or some description. But I'd still say those three are the biggest considering I'm not from America but yet know their status whilst being across the pond.

AI has created stars and I'm not denying that, but The X Factor has created more and on a much bigger scale.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitch 123 wrote: »
    Idol has Daughty, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson, Clay Aiken and Adam Lambert (Plus Phillip Phillips isn't doing too badly.) It has discovered well more than "3 stars"

I meant three stars who have made it big time.