Options

Bosses want Craig to replace Len on Panel

2»

Comments

• Options
    ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and while I'm ranting, Derek DID physically carry Maria Menounos through a dance when her back was broken or something... I forget the dance - when I remember I'll post a youtube. He literally CARRIED HER THROUGH IT. And I think they got 10s. Of course. But I ought to give credit where credit's due - she's taller than him so fair play on even being ABLE to carry the girl, Djerk - I'll admit he's strong. Amazingly resilient (his film "Make Your Move" or whatever - bombed more than any of Julianne's and that's saying something! but here he is, joining the Rockettes on Broadway soon ;-))

And so ruthless, he would put Machiavelli to shame! (his father is one of the movers and shakers of the Republican Party in the US, if you know much about our politics - the head of the party in Mormon Utah.) I knew someone who slated Derek online and guess who started "following" her Twitter? - Derek's dad. And it freaked her out and she stopped writing about him.

He also had Tristan and other "friends" over for a party (like he has any) - and when people on his Instagram posted that Tristan was fit and handsome etc., Derek deleted those comments tout de suite.

Just call me James-Jordan-ette. But I won't be able to take anything back because editing expires shortly... If you don't hear from me again.... well, it's been real...

ETA: he may have met his match - check out Artem's avatar - it's an unfortunate photo of Derek (with Artem and Henry Byalikov) and Derek looks like he has a beer gut :D If you don't do Twitter or he takes it down, private-message me and I'll send it to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amelia_lee wrote: »
    I agree with you that Kristin's story paled in comparison to the others, especially JR and the premature twins and other's relatives dying, however she was not a good dancer and never the best of the season!

I thought she was great - but I'm not an expert - only done Bronze level Dancesport. Who do you think was better? Chynna? They made a huge deal of her forgetting her choreo and that was the end of her (Shame Tony didn't just pick her up and carry her through it - though they didn't have to make such a big deal of it - she DID carry on - just looked scared.) I can't remember anybody else worth a flip that season. Rob Kardashian was runner up !!! (before obesity days but he did say when he did the Jive he needed a bra because his boobs were flopping around).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - My question would be WHY it would be necessary to send a memo around at all? There aren't that many key producers, and the whole thing sounds like someone's fevered imagination

I just realised I ignored your question. Sorry - I'm not sure of the answer. I just feel like since 2004 or '05, I've been putting together a jigsaw puzzle of why things have happened the way they have (SCD and DWTS-USA.) My 1st quandary was why they left Alec Mazo, a huge favourite of mine, off the cast in seasons 2 and 3 (and treated him like crap in later seaons) after he won the first season and was the only male pro w/sex appeal (the other 2 being Louis van Amstel and Jonathan Roberts.) I eventually found out that Alec asked for more money (they only made $1500 per week the first season and Alec's wife Edyta said they did better than that w/their studio in San Francisco.)

Believe it or not, I think I've tried to come up with the most logical answers, all along - but back to your question: as per the memo, I assume Maks managed to make friends among the management or their underlings and that's how he got hold of the memo. He's quite attractive and charasmatic, so I'd think it wouldn't be that difficult to pal up with an admin assistant or some such. Why would they send a memo? It takes a lot of people to get on board to produce a reality show and if they're "gaming it", more than a dozen or so would have to be involved - producers, judges, writers, etc. And Hope had plenty to write about besides this - her family is a trainwreck of unbelievable proportions and she's been arrested for violent behaviour herself! Deserted by a violent father in prison etc... So to fabricate this minor issue (the memo) would be unnecessary imo - her own personal story is flabbergasting :o:o:o

ETA: I think that just this week Hope has been suspended from the USA soccer (women's football) team even though she's their best goalee and I think they're the female world champions ?? -- simply due to her violent behaviour - I hope to be corrected on this!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They also sat out one of their major female pro stars, Kym Johnson, after she asked for more money after winning with Donny Osmond. They've been careful not to give in to pro dancers' demands, other than Derek (and maybe Mark/Julianne) -- the precedent has been set, but they don't want it to be a pattern. They played "hard ball" with Maks as well, with him thinking he could make demands like Derek does, and that's why he sat out (not always by choice) some seasons. I think the same situation has come up with Cheryl Burke, and maybe others.

I don't think Strictly has ever fallen into this quagmire - thinking they depend on a star (e.g. Derek) and therefore, that star can demand whatever and they're over the barrel. Last season, or maybe the last two seasons, Derek has not only been a partnered pro, with a partner of finalist caliber, but he's been "creative director" of DWTS, and he has had some control over their featured pro numbers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elsa wrote: »
    They also sat out one of their major female pro stars, Kym Johnson, after she asked for more money after winning with Donny Osmond. They've been careful not to give in to pro dancers' demands, other than Derek (and maybe Mark/Julianne) -- the precedent has been set, but they don't want it to be a pattern. They played "hard ball" with Maks as well, with him thinking he could make demands like Derek does, and that's why he sat out (not always by choice) some seasons. I think the same situation has come up with Cheryl Burke, and maybe others.

I don't think Strictly has ever fallen into this quagmire - thinking they depend on a star (e.g. Derek) and therefore, that star can demand whatever and they're over the barrel. Last season, or maybe the last two seasons, Derek has not only been a partnered pro, with a partner of finalist caliber, but he's been "creative director" of DWTS, and he has had some control over their featured pro numbers.

Derek didn't bomb in Make Your Move, he was actually quite good - and HBO showed it recently. It wasn't in U.S. theaters very long but I don't think it was ever intended to be.

Derek's then-manager Jai Khanna was unabashedly Asian-centric - I could never figure out why Derek bothered with him after reading several interviews where he said his primary focus was getting Asians roles in the U.S. and he expected his clients to do 99% of the work (while taking 10% of their earnings?!).

The movie's main backer was a Korean entertainment company. His co-star was mostly unknown in the U.S., even though she was a big pop star in Asia, which I think they always considered their main audience. Because of a ferry boat disaster some main showings were canceled.

I never heard that DWTS played hardball with anyone but Kym, after her agent demanded a big pay increase following her win with Donny.

I did hear Suri Serano claim that one season Maks asked for "Derek's partner" but didn't get it and may have sat out that season. There have never been any reports that Mark or Julianne or Derek or Cheryl made any special demands. I think if they had, they may have gotten the same reaction Kym's agent did - don't let the door hit you on the way out.

As far as creative control over some pro numbers, various pros have always choreographed some dances. Louis Van Amstel used to choreograph the tours, then Maks was chosen to choreograph the 2008-9 tour, and he asked Karina to help him. Mandy Moore choreographs some big pro numbers but admits she doesn't even know the technical terms. She said she told Sharna, who helps her, "Do a couple of those moves where you do this." Can't argue with the results; that number showcasing the female pros was fierce! Will it get an Emmy nod? Maybe!

Derek was named creative director of Macy's Stars of Dance Season 17, I think. I don't recall any such announcement Season 18. IMO that was just as much for the show's benefit as Derek's; the six times he's been nominated for an Emmy for Outstanding Choreography, DWTS is always credited as well. All pros are welcome to submit ideas for special routines; Derek just submits more ideas, only a minority of which are ever used.

He does invite the other dancers over to his house. Why wouldn't he? He lives close by, just 0.8 of a mile from the McCadden rehearsal facility and has tweeted numerous photos of the gang arriving there. I don't buy that he deleted any comments about Tristan being handsome, tout suite or otherwise. He's not like that.

Could the dance with Maria you're thinking of be their Week 9 Jive? They also did the Argentine Tango the same night. Anyway, forget Derek, I give Maria major props for hanging in there despite breaking two ribs before the season even started and then breaking bones in her feet and still going, while still keeping her day job, too.

Every single one of the executive producers said their biggest surprise Season 18 was Amy Purdy. NOBODY expected her to perform like she did. So much for the claim they promise him capable dancers each season. When Derek and Julianne planned their live tour, Derek had no idea Amy would still be in the competition, and as a result he had only 3 days to learn the entire show, and had to depend on Julianne and NappyTabs to choreograph most of it.

Again, why would there need to be a memo of who was slated to go home each week? Nobody needed to know except the film editor who was putting together the look-back parting video. Judges didn't need to know, cameramen didn't need to know, the floor manager didn't need to know, Tom didn't need to know, Erin didn't need to know, the crew didn't need to know, etc. etc.

Hope was on Season 13. Did someone also tell Maks when he and Melissa Gilbert, Sherri Shepherd or Kirstie Alley were eliminated after that, or when his brother was eliminated with Elizabeth Berkley or Danica McKellar or when Janel and Val came in third? f not, then I don't buy Maks developed an inside friendship who spilled him the beans.

Hopefully Val won't have to wait so long for an MBT. Not that I think it's fixed, just that Val is tremendously talented and they'll give him a capable partner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ETA: he may have met his match - check out Artem's avatar - it's an unfortunate photo of Derek (with Artem and Henry Byalikov) and Derek looks like he has a beer gut :D If you don't do Twitter or he takes it down, private-message me and I'll send it to you.

I've seen that photo - and watched the live performance from which it was taken -

Here's a still from the same performance showing no beer gut at all:

https://rickeyorg-rickeyllc.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Macys-Stars-of-Dance-Kathryn-McCormick.jpg

In some parts Artem or Henry look like they have beer guts. None of them do, it's just an optical illusion. Derek is a little heavier there but I think that's preferable to all the times he's too skinny. He forgets to eat sometimes.

I know people who can be Macchiavellian. I don't believe either Derek or his father fit the description even remotely. Boy, you must really hate Derek to imagine him doing all that. :o You definitely have a wild imagination. You could probably make big bucks writing fiction or scripts for movies and TV. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, Dancefan I enjoy yours too :D

And in America, they get paid more every extra week they stay in. But I don't think that would be Maks' main goal, if this is true - it's an ego thing. Derek makes the final every time and has won 5 times - Maks wants to make the final every time (though he'd never won at that time). He also hand-picked Hope to be his partner and was very upset that it didn't work out. And to be fair, Ricki Lake was appalling that season (Derek's partner) and the judges over-praised her and ignored her errors. If it's still around, if you look up the youtube of her jive, well, it sucks (imo.) But to hear the judges, nobody got close to doing it right but her. Sheesh! Believe it or not, I was once a Derek fan, but the fakery to prop the guy just drove me to drink... Well, that and liking to drink :cool:

And again, if this is true, the celebrity she took the place of in the semifinal was Nancy Grace, Tristan's first partner, who was terrible, overweight, 52 (one of his younger partners :cry:) - but they propped her too because their partnership was such fun to watch. (one of the times they propped in my favour and to my eternal gratitude ;-)) The only even halfway decent dancers that season went home early - one of them, probably the best dancer of the season, went home in Week 3 - Kristin Cavallari, Mark's partner (they let this happen to him periodically ha ha -- or the other version is he can't even keep great dancers in the comp....) His mother Shirley says it's because the judges/producers are partial to blue eyed blonds like Derek !! She said this in a public forum (the online chatshow Afterbuzz!!!) and that if Mark and partner did the exact same crap dance as Derek, he'd be slated whilst Derek just glides on by...

Anyway, they decided to do a tear-jerker week then and while the eventual winner J.R. was blown up in Afghanistan and still bore the terrible scars on his face and body from the disaster - and Nancy had premature twins and she and one of them nearly died when they were born - the young, beautiful Kristin's tear-jerker story was what a horrible bind she was in when she had to decide between going to university or becoming a star in Hollywood ;-)

Now that'll clear the field of a young "ringer" any day! Ah, America. If we can't rig 'em, NOBODY can! I'm pretty sure we're the only one of the franchise to have two over-50 winners, one male and one female (the latter partnered by his majesty Dreck of course) and her neck was broken or something the last couple weeks but did they let her bow out? - hell no - just bind her up and let Derek carry her around for a minute with lights flashing and the camera as far away from her feet as physically possible...What me, bitter ?? :kitty::kitty::kitty:

It's okay to be bitter. You are perfectly entitled to your point of view, and I'm sure we have some areas of agreement. Alfonso was also banged up at the end and he's not healed yet. Cristian de la Fuente and Gilles Marini went to the finals with serious physical problems. Bill Nye barely moved the week he was eliminated. They judged Melissa Rycroft from her rehearsal footage and substituted Lacey in the group dance for Melissa or whoever was injured. Didn't Lacey have two injured partners herself? It's hard to keep track but I don't have any problem with a contestant soldiering on as long as viewers keep voting for them. When the viewers get to the "put them out of their misery" stage, they'll send them home.

Corky Ballas also made a similar comment on Afterbuzz as Shirley did. He said after Sadie and Mark's Viennese Waltz, I think it was - that if Derek and his partner had done it they would have gotten tens. I don't discount anything Shirley, Corky or Mark say - and Mark has said Derek hasn't paid his dues (with a terrible partner). Mark is very talented and received an Emmy nomination for dances the judges weren't thrilled about, just as Derek did.

Both of our 50-year-old winners (they were both exactly 50, and not over) were extremely popular and I thought from the first that they would each win. Jennifer Grey not only looked fifteen years younger than she is, but was still slender, was a good dancer, and probably the biggest "dance icon" that has ever been on the show. (She wouldn't have won if she had to depend on my votes. Too whiny for me.)

However, one of the tabloids said Jennifer was giving Derek "grey" hairs and that they fought a lot. We saw glimpses of that in rehearsal footage so I wasn't surprised.

Few predicted Amber Riley would win, except Jake on Afterbuzz. We were in the live audience for both the semifinals and finals, and Amber had charisma and performed beautifully. As accomplished a dancer as Corbin Bleu is, he just didn't connect with the audience in the same way Amber did. Sad for him that he lost, but happy for Amber.

Some actually believe Derek has been treated poorly by DWTS. :o:confused: They're the same people who think he's too good for the show and have wanted him to move on for years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't buy that he deleted any comments about Tristan being handsome, tout suite or otherwise. He's not like that

On this I'm 100% positive because I saw the comments on Derek's Instagram and I was wondering what game they were playing - I think it was "Cards Against Humanity." So not long after first reading the comments, I went back to see if there were more - and that's when I saw that the ones saying Tristan was hot were gone - except for one (out of 6 or 7.) So I'd swear to that and take a lie detector test - I saw it happen! And it was Derek's Instagram account - who else could have deleted the comments? He clearly *IS* like that! And if you read the comments about Derek's acting on imdb, you'll find I'm not the only one who think his film debut was a flop - his acting, at any rate, and some even slated his dancing!

And in more than one place, I've read that Alec Mazo asked for more money after season 1 and that's why he was left off the cast in seasons 2 and 3, and when he did come back, he never had much of a chance (two tall super-models in a row that went out first, Toni Braxton who I think the show nudged off using their manipulation techniques, and an Olympian swimmer I think who went out fairly early)

but anyway... purged a lot of vitriol and I feel better. :D
    Some actually believe Derek has been treated poorly by DWTS. They're the same people who think he's too good for the show and have wanted him to move on for years.

Oh how I hope their dreams come true!!

And I'm bowing out of the discussion, but I do want to say that I don't appreciate being accused of making things up. I don't do that. I may have read rumours that turn out not to be true, but if I say I've read something or seen something or know something - then I've got it from a source or I've seen what I consider to be good evidence. Ad hominem attacks on fellow board-posters are not kosher - and I don't think they're even allowed on this board.
  • Options
    Lili27Lili27 Posts: 2,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One observation that I have made is this.

When a pro dancer signs the contract to be on a show like DWTS they are essentially a reality TV star first now and dancer second. From then on they are controlled by producers, directors, ratings and passionate fan bases, etc. I do think they know what they are signing up for, if not, they figure it out fairly quickly.

What they get in return is the public exposure, fame and potential fortune they could not get by being unknown (except by the dance community), teaching or owning a local dance studio so I guess it is worth it in the long run....
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    well...

clearly Len didn't quit.
  • Options
    DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kromm wrote: »
    well...

clearly Len didn't quit.

He said initially that season 20 would be his last...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anton was at the taping of the show in Los Angeles this past Monday (spotted on tv in the audience, sitting behind the judges I believe) and he also sat in on Gethin Jones' show about DWTS, along with Emma Slater and Tony Dovolani. I wonder if they're considering having Anton take Len's place on the judges' panel in America? I just read downstairs that there will be 15 celebrities on the next Strictly, yet 16 pros have been named. Hmmm.
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    Anton was at the taping of the show in Los Angeles this past Monday (spotted on tv in the audience, sitting behind the judges I believe) and he also sat in on Gethin Jones' show about DWTS, along with Emma Slater and Tony Dovolani. I wonder if they're considering having Anton take Len's place on the judges' panel in America?

Why would they replace Len after the show has already started without him?
  • Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The OP posted back in May, during last season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And my post about Anton being in the US was in May, towards the end of the Spring season of DWTS-US. I'm still curious about why he was asked over there and appeared on Gethin's commentary show. (which come to think of it, I don't know if Gethin's doing the same show for the autumn season, which just started - guess I don't care because I'm not watching anyway - maybe it's the same show Kym Johnson is hosting right now)

I really think they were considering Anton to possibly take Len's place - and one of the first steps would be to have him over, invite him to watch the live show, and maybe talk to him about the possibility of judging - but it all was probably very early stages and may have been rejected as a possibility by now.

I personally think they should go with Maks - and I bet they're considering him too - they had him as guest judge more than once, I believe. And Tony Dovolani let it slip on a chat show that he might be judging next season (but that season came and he wasn't) - ergo, I think they talked to him about the possibility as well.

And what I really think is going on now: they want to see how the ratings do without Len. If they crash, maybe they'll offer Len a lot of money to return - if they do ok, they may go ahead and decide who to replace him with, or maybe even keep things as they are, if the ratings are fine with Julianne as head judge.
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't even think that len would return with a lot of money. ...he's in his seventies and it's not easy for him to continue to do those trips between La and London every week.....even a young healthy person would get tired after almost 10 years....I hope he doesn't come back to Dwts.

Imo the show suffers without him. ..it lacks a certain something but his health comes first.
  • Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edy10 wrote: »
    I don't even think that len would return with a lot of money. ...he's in his seventies and it's not easy for him to continue to do those trips between La and London every week.....even a young healthy person would get tired after almost 10 years....I hope he doesn't come back to Dwts.

Imo the show suffers without him. ..it lacks a certain something but his health comes first.

I don't think he'll be back for the Autumn seasons, but I wouldn't be shocked if he chose to do Spring (when he doesn't have the commute).
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    I don't think he'll be back for the Autumn seasons, but I wouldn't be shocked if he chose to do Spring (when he doesn't have the commute).

Oh true. ..thats a good possibility.
  • Options
    JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    Would love to see this. America wouldnt know what hit them. Imagine if he gave Derek 3. In America there are boos if 5's are handed out on week 1. this is generous for Craig on week 1-4 since between this time he gives loads of 1-4's. I bet thered be screams if he gave Derek 1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like it's definite Len will be back for the Spring season of DWTS. Looks like they feel they need the old boy after all :D

I'm still wondering why Anton visited the show this past Spring. Maybe he was considered, especially if Len couldn't come back?

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/-w158431
  • Options
    RavenRaven Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As its been confirmed that Len will be back for the "spring" series . . .

hows about Anton taking over for the fall show (especially if he retires from Strictly at the end of this series).

Good to retire as the winner as well :D
  • Options
    JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    I think Derek should take over Len in the fall series so then he's not always winning, the other pros get a chance of winning but Derek is still on the show in a different role so his fans will still see him. that would be the perfect compromise cant see it happening though somehow