closest The Doctor has been to dying?

james2018james2018 Posts: 1,493
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think perhaps in 'The Unicorn and the Wasp' where he gets poisoned....

Or maybe in Utopia when the futurekind are chasing him, Martha and Jack.

Comments

• JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the TV Movie where the Seventh Doctor is technically "dead" for several hours before regenerating into the Eighth Doctor.
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say the Caves of Androzani, where he's close to dying during his regeneration.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Depends on your definition of 'dying'. Any regeneration would count, as it only happens when the Doctor is so badly injured that he would otherwise die. Being shot by Daleks, falling from a telescope, fatal dose of radiation, he would have died from all of them.

It also depends on your definition of 'close'. The most damage taken before regenerating? The tightest escape?

For him to be close to dying without regenerating, it would have to be something fast. The episode Turn Left suggests that flushing the Racnoss spiders down the plughole would have done it.

So, when else has the Doctor had a close escape from something that would make instant mincemeat of him? The fan blades in The End of the World?
  • james2018james2018 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just sort of joking, cause the ones i mentioned were typical parts of the program where he is obviously gonna be fine, but some kids might think he's dead meat :D

The replies are good based on the actual question :)
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Third Doctor actually did "die" at the end of Planet of the Spiders until regenerating into No.4, didn't he?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    The Third Doctor actually did "die" at the end of Planet of the Spiders until regenerating into No.4, didn't he?

That's to all intents and purposes true of all other Doctors except the Eleventh.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I'd say that Last of the Time Lords brought the Doctor pretty close to death, with the power to regenerate suspended. I personally liked what they did with that bit in the episode, and it was a bit grim to see... I don't imagine the Doctor would have lasted very long in his Gollum-state :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Let's kill hitler with the poison from the judas tree.. Till river gave him her regenerations, he was done for..in 32 minutes..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    That's to all intents and purposes true of all other Doctors except the Eleventh.

I think Planet of the Spiders wins this 'contest'. The 3rd Doctor was dead, having barely survived the trip home to UNIT HQ. Sarah and the Brigadier were stunned by the larger-than-life Doctor lying limp and broken on the floor.

The 7th Doctor in the TV movie was pretty dead too but a different kind having suffered an arrest to both his hearts. His body cells were still not all dead, unlike Dr 3, and only the cold of the mortuary slowed down his regeneration process. The 8th Doctor did mention his being very close to not regenerating but still he DID regenerate unlike Dr 3 who needed a timely intervention from K'Ampo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unlike Dr 3 who needed a timely intervention from K'Ampo.

Wasn't there a similar intervention for the Fourth Doctor by the Watcher?
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

...and the Second.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    Koquillion wrote: »
    ...and the Second.
    To be fair, we don't know what happened to the 8th either.
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't there a similar intervention for the Fourth Doctor by the Watcher?

Hmmm not really.. hence his "It's the end-- but the moment has been prepared for..."

The fourth doctor seemed pretty content during his regeneration (although that might have been Tom Baker glad his time was over).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »

The fourth doctor seemed pretty content during his regeneration (although that might have been Tom Baker glad his time was over).

Which may answer the question of why the Fourth Doctor regenerated after simply falling from what didn't look like a very high altitude onto soft grass, while the Tenth Doctor fell from what looked like a much greater altitude through a glass ceiling onto a hard floor and only had a few cuts and bruises. It was a case of he former "wanting to go" and the latter most certainly "not wanting to go".
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Which may answer the question of why the Fourth Doctor regenerated after simply falling from what didn't look like a very high altitude onto soft grass, while the Tenth Doctor fell from what looked like a much greater altitude through a glass ceiling onto a hard floor and only had a few cuts and bruises. It was a case of he former "wanting to go" and the latter most certainly "not wanting to go".
    It was about 100 feet!

You try jumping, see if you live. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    It was about 100 feet!

You try jumping, see if you live. :p

I'm not the Doctor! The Tenth Doctor seemed to jump from a significantly higher altitude, and sustained a few cuts and bruises.