CNN HD on Astra 2 - can it be added to a FTA box?

Having trouble adding this channel on a scan of the transponder 11.112 H symbol rate 22000 on Astra 2, I only seem to get the SD version which the box already has!

Is the CNN HD test actually free to air, or am I missing something? Certainly doesn't seem to be showing much sign of showing up in the Sky EPG.

Using a Skybox F5S.

Comments

• Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member
    Did you take it out of freesat mode?
  • marceljackmarceljack Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Bill,
    In fact my non-proprietary FTA receiver finds both versions (SD and HD) of CNN on 11112 H but the HD version is stored under the name "50290" and not CNN HD.
    The SD version is stored under the name "CNN".

My other receiver (TNTSAT HD) does not see CNN HD, only the SD version.
    Since TNTSAT receivers can only store FTA channels (besides Canalsat and TNTSAT channels) I assume that CNN HD might be signalled as "scrambled" despite the fact that it's broadcast in the clear.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marti S wrote: »
    Did you take it out of freesat mode?

Try reading the OP again - he is using a Skybox which is a generic FTA box NOT a Freesat box.
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member
    Try reading the OP again - he is using a Skybox which is a generic FTA box NOT a Freesat box.

Oh ok, teach me not to check a second link out, did a google of it and the first result was an ebay listing saying it was a freesat receiver
  • marceljackmarceljack Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In this case it might be stored under "50290" like on my Ferguson Ariva 120 receiver.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Thanks if so could be under that number name and could just rename.
    Forum Member
    It had indeed been added as "50290" and the box stored it next to the SD CNN channel, so I renamed it "CNN HD" in the channel editor, bit of a basic box you have to scroll down past hundreds of channels just to do that, and the annoyance yesterday adding new ITV HD regions, it renamed a bunch of regions I'd already named to just "ITV" so I had to look up a bunch of SID numbers just to put them right!

Still a good box for its direct recording, even of Sky subscription channels with its card slot (in SD only).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It had indeed been added as "50290" and the box stored it next to the SD CNN channel, so I renamed it "CNN HD" in the channel editor, bit of a basic box you have to scroll down past hundreds of channels just to do that, and the annoyance yesterday adding new ITV HD regions, it renamed a bunch of regions I'd already named to just "ITV" so I had to look up a bunch of SID numbers just to put them right!

Still a good box for its direct recording, even of Sky subscription channels with its card slot (in SD only).

You might like to take a look at 12285 V DVB-S SR 27500 FEC 2/3 - two channels labelled 3894 and 3895 which are the "push on demand" channels in SD . I used to use them years ago to record the advert free Anytime/push on demand downloads to other media. They used to have a "now and next" EPG only but haven't been to them for a couple of years now.

There are 2 HD "channels" as well
    10876 V DVB-S2 8PSK SR 23000 FEC 2/3 labelled 3801 (9.00 p.m. to 8 a.m. only)
    11739 V DVB-S2 QPSK SR 29500 FEC 8/9 labelled 3898
    Forum Member
    You might like to take a look at 12285 V DVB-S SR 27500 FEC 2/3 - two channels labelled 3894 and 3895 which are the "push on demand" channels in SD . I used to use them years ago to record the advert free Anytime/push on demand downloads to other media. They used to have a "now and next" EPG only but haven't been to them for a couple of years now.

There are 2 HD "channels" as well
    10876 V DVB-S2 8PSK SR 23000 FEC 2/3 labelled 3801 (9.00 p.m. to 8 a.m. only)
    11739 V DVB-S2 QPSK SR 29500 FEC 8/9 labelled 3898

Interesting thanks, I might try it, I have a Sky card but I'm not sure if that would help, what did you get, actual programmes? Maybe the Sky card would decrypt them as they presumably must be encrypted if these still exist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting thanks, I might try it, I have a Sky card but I'm not sure if that would help, what did you get, actual programmes? Maybe the Sky card would decrypt them as they presumably must be encrypted if these still exist.

I used my subscription card and it decrypted all downloads that were available to my sub. They were the full programmes for what was the "Anytime" service at that time but now show as the already downloaded items in catchup/on demand. They were ad free in those days but some catchup items now have adverts. I used to record them on my Technomate TM9100 but now a box (AnyHD recorder) that will record any HDMI, component or compoxite video to usb stick or HDD stripping any copy protection - so can record Sky HD channels to usb for playback on anything.
  • Cajun_MoonCajun_Moon Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    CNN HD is appearing on channel 728 on my Samsung tv (in satellite mode, rather than Freesat).

It is also badged as such.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cajun_Moon wrote: »
    CNN HD is appearing on channel 728 on my Samsung tv (in satellite mode, rather than Freesat).

It is also badged as such.

When you use a free to air satellite tuner to add a channel. there is no LCN (logical channel number) within the broadcast. The allocated LCN numbers depend purely on the order the channels are added to the receiver, starting from a preset starting point.

Were you to say delete some existing channels and re-scan the transponder used for CNN HD the lcn would be a different number.

On most FTA receivers if you tune the transponder again you will get duplicate channels with totally different LCN's. You can freely change them after adding them.

The LCN you see on a Freesat or Sky box is allocated by the epg (relates the broadcast SID (Service Identifier) to the lcn allocated by the epg). Someone else using the same TV in FTA mode will have a totally different LCN, unless they added the channels in exactly the same order you did starting from scratch).

Consistant lcn numbers are down to the particular epg. if they were not, the different lcn numbers published for Sky users and Freesat users for the same broadcast would not be possible.

The channel name is within the broadcast data, when provided, as it clearly is in this case, the channel name will be the same on any platform. If not present you see the SID instead (50290 in this case).

http://en.kingofsat.net/find.php?question=CNN+HD&Submit=Zap