Options

Lidl - Good and bad

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The slow cooked lamb shanks in rosemary & mint sauce are divine.

So tender and tasty.

Only take 5-6 mins in the microwave.
  • Options
    bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suggestion to Aldi: Set up a 'x items or fewer' line, I don't think I've ever been in an store that had one. It's annoying when you've only gone for some bread and milk and you get stuck behind someone on their seasonal hoarding expedition.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bluefb wrote: »
    Suggestion to Aldi: Set up a 'x items or fewer' line, I don't think I've ever been in an store that had one. It's annoying when you've only gone for some bread and milk and you get stuck behind someone on their seasonal hoarding expedition.

How will that help when we're shopping in Lidl? :p
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both Lidl and Aldi checkouts are incredibly fast anyway, so you never wait very long.
  • Options
    bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How will that help when we're shopping in Lidl? :p

Oh, LOL. Didn't realise there was one of these threads for Lidl too.
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just back from Lidl with my whole leg Serrano ham. 6.5 kg. 12 months matured @£39.99. Thats half price and on offer for a week from today.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather you than me.

Cured ham is not to my taste. Is it that raw taste at fault?
  • Options
    dellab49dellab49 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Lidl is getting regular customers as time goes on, their prices are good,

Pet stuff is good from there.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    This week they were advertising premium rum for £10, so I tried it. I certainly won't be buying it again, even on special offer. It was technically better than their standard rums, though was a very pale golden rum rather than dark or white. However, it just didn't taste of rum, and the alcohol was very overpowering, both in smell and taste. It's 40% like their normal dark rum, but it was more like drinking cheap whisky or some kind of home brew spirits.

Also, there seems to be confusion over this offer, and I've noticed similar things in recent months with certain food offers. They advertised this starting last Thursday but the stores refused to sell it at this price, saying it wasn't on offer. The next day it was suddenly on offer in-store. Today, the offer disappeared from the website.

It's like they want to entice people in on a fake offer, then make it available for one day so they can claim it wasn't fake, then remove the offer completely.

Oh, and they've silently changed their 'Smedleys' tins of marrowfat peas. They're now considerably smaller for the same price. I'm yet to open one and see whether they taste the same.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just back from Lidl with my whole leg Serrano ham. 6.5 kg. 12 months matured @£39.99. Thats half price and on offer for a week from today.

I only finished mine a few weeks ago, that I bought at Xmas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eridanous Greek-style cheese, comes in little cubes in a jar with oil, herbs and spices. Mix with cherry tomatoes, using a little of the oil from the jar and some balsamic vinegar, season to taste and you have a nice salad.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Oh, and they've silently changed their 'Smedleys' tins of marrowfat peas. They're now considerably smaller for the same price.....
    Brands usually do it to artificially compete.
    With ground coffee most UK brands moved from 250g down to 227g.

Now some have gone one step further and sell it as 200 grams.
    EU packs are 250 grams so we now have 3 'standard' sizes.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only finished mine a few weeks ago, that I bought at Xmas.
    I have one from a few months back - vacuum packed and unopened.
    I just bought this.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0084SROMC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Once you opened the ham and carved some off how did you store it?
    I heard you should apply a smear of olive oil to the exposed ham and apply cling film to it.
    The uncarved area can even grow mould with no ill effect.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed when I was in last week that they seemed to have stopped selling the giant bars of Ritter Sport chocolate. :cry: Was this just one branch or is it over the whole company? It would be a black day if so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I tried their Gelatelli 'Magnum' ice creams with almond flakes on the outside and they were lovely. Much bigger than real Magnums, and the chocolate stays on the ice cream as you eat it. With Magnums or Asda's own brand versions, you take one bite out of them and all the chocolate falls off as a large sheet.

I also tried their own brand Weetabix, which is on special offer until today at £1.49 for 36. Just as good as the real thing, so I'll definitely be getting more today.

I've tried their normal version of Bayley's before and, like Aldi, I didn't think much of it. However, I tried their 'Deluxe' branded version and it's really nice. I'd definitely get it again, though it's gone up to £7 and you sometimes (especially around Christmas) get a litre of real Bayley's on special offer that works out cheaper. Aldi have just started stocking their seasonal posh version for £7 too.

Oh, and I bought a T-bone steak on 30% discount and it was really delicious. I'm definitely buying that again.
  • Options
    Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bought a couple of their fresh cheddar & veg slice/pastie today , scoffed one already very nice . Also bought their own brand cornflakes , will have to wait until morning to try those.

Also a good offer on Cushelle toilet roll at the moment , 24 rolls for £9.78
  • Options
    bobbysgirlbobbysgirl Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Bought the suddenly woman perfume , it was rated highly in a survey in the mail .It, s lovely , like chanel no.5 , and its only £3.99 .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lidl have pouches of 'Delux' sauces, at £1.49 or two for £2. These are kept around the other seasonal 'Delux' products such as Irish cream, vanilla pods and macarons, not the fridge.

I tried the mushroom sauce with some chicken and the port sauce with a nice fillet steak, and they were both delicious. They seem to be a seasonal thing, so worth getting a few while they're there.

I added some mushrooms and onions to the sauces, but they would still have been nice straight out of the packet. Useful to have in if you want to make a quick dinner one night.
  • Options
    multisyncmultisync Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Years back I once walked round Lidl and loaded my trolley up then walked round again putting it all back. I walked out thinking "I'm really not that poor that I need to eat this shite "

I've softened a bit and will buy the odd bit but in all honesty after testing like for like if you shop wisely using the discount codes and money off offers Tesco and Sainsbury are just as cheap.
  • Options
    evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shopped in there for the first time last week and was pleasantly surprised. A list of what I bought and all of it very good:

Honey roast ham
    smoked salmon
    crayfish
    salmon fillets
    pineapple
    pack of 4 greek yogurts
    fat free nat yogurt
    sour cream and chive family pack crisps
    walnuts
    eggs
    french fries

Come to about £13.00 which was not bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sad to see they've dropped their 1kg tubs of stracciatella yoghurt. It was my favourite, though they still do vanilla and peach/mango.

They've also stopped doing swiss roll.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I've bought meat from there on three separate occasions recently (beef mince x2 and chicken breasts x1) and they have all gone off at least two days before the use by date. The mince was particularly manky as it had turned grey and smelt like something had died when we opened it. The chicken also reeked and had a tinge of green about it.

No wonder it's cheap.

We also bought a frozen turkey crown for today, but wasn't prepared to take chances, so went out and bought a fresh one the other day.
  • Options
    Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've given up on Lidl.
    I can't do a big shop there as they don't carry the range of things I need, plus the freezers were so often empty. Literally entirely empty.
    My husband likes one of their Cien deodorants, so I'll drop in and stock him up with those every so often, but I don't bother foid shopping in there anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anya D wrote: »
    My husband likes one of their Cien deodorants

I used to use that for years, but recentry tried Aldi's new range of shower gels and deodorants, and they're much better. The deodorant is 99p rather than 79p in Lidl. They smell better (in my opinion) and the spray seems 'lighter' with less yellowing under the armpits of T-shirts.

The Aldi scent I use is 'Vivid'. The Lidl deodorant I used was 'Sport'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to use that for years, but recentry tried Aldi's new range of shower gels and deodorants, and they're much better. The deodorant is 99p rather than 79p in Lidl. They smell better (in my opinion) and the spray seems 'lighter' with less yellowing under the armpits of T-shirts.

The Aldi scent I use is 'Vivid'. The Lidl deodorant I used was 'Sport'.

See, I don't want my deodorant scented - it clashes with the scent I've chosen to wear.

I do wish there were more unscented deodorants on sale. Very few brands offer them, and some that used to (eg Arrid) no longer do.