Options

Football journalism at it's worst

Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
Forum Member
✭✭✭
By Richard Clarke

Arsène Wenger believes Paul Scholes remains one of the greatest footballers in England.

The veteran midfielder began yet another Premier League season with a stunning display at Newcastle on Monday night and, unsurprisingly, his continued fine form cropped up when the Arsenal manager spoke to the media on Friday.

Wenger believes the 35-year-old Manchester United star is still underrated by the wider football world and he would definitely have liked him at Emirates Stadium over the years. However, the Arsenal manager did admit that Scholes had a darker side.

"I believe Paul Scholes is still one of the greatest football players in England," said Wenger. "His contribution to the success of Manchester United is absolutely huge.

"He did not get completely [the credit] he deserves as a football player, because he is not a 'media lion', a player [that] runs after the media to be in the papers. And I respect that a lot.

"Who would not have liked Paul Scholes in their team because he is an absolutely fantastic football player. When he has the ball at his feet and you are a central defender, you have to be on your toes because he can still today find anybody in the box - and we have seen that again against Newcastle on Monday night.

"The regret I have personally is that he was not always the fairest player. But there is a little bit of a darker side in him and he sometimes did things which I did not like."

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-scholes-doesn-t-get-the-credit-he-deserves-

That is the official interview on arsenal.com, Wenger basically bigging up Scholes and saying that he is amazing.

So the sun turn it into this
ARSENE WENGER has launched an astonishing attack on Paul Scholes, branding him 'dirty'.

Arsenal's boss claims the Manchester United veteran has 'a darker side' and insisted: "I'm sorry, for me he's not been a fair player."

The comments will anger United boss Alex Ferguson especially as Scholes, 35, produced a star-man display in Monday's 3-0 win against Newcastle.

It is not the first time Wenger has singled out a United player. Last season he intimated Darren Fletcher constantly got away with fouling.

When asked about Scholes, Wenger said: "Who wouldn't want a quality player like Paul Scholes in his team?

"But ask me if he's been a fair player, I say no. I'm sorry, for me he's not been fair.

"There's a little bit of a darker side in him. I don't like some things he does.

"It's not because you are older suddenly that you are a saint."

Asked if there was a specific tackle he had in mind, such as Scholes' reckless challenge on Jose Reyes in the 2004 FA Cup semi-final, Wenger said: "With Paul Scholes you have more than one.

"I can remember a few. Unfair? Of course."

Scholes yesterday admitted he made a mistake snubbing Fabio Capello's last-minute World Cup call.

He said: "I wish I had gone. I made the wrong decision but I only had a couple of hours to decide."

That is unbelievable. All he said was that he has a dark side which everyone, even United fans know. They laugh about it on motd. It was highly complimentary yet the Sun spin it like this to stir up **** and to make Wenger look bad.

It is why I hate football journo's.

Also I agree with Wenger, Scholes is an underappreciated player in general

Comments

• Options
    bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-scholes-doesn-t-get-the-credit-he-deserves-

That is the official interview on arsenal.com, Wenger basically bigging up Scholes and saying that he is amazing.

If you think that's bad you should move to Scotland it's a hell of a lot worse.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There must be a gene that tends to deviate arrogant, manipulative shisters into football journalism.

Custis is the biggest c*** of them all!
  • Options
    madanglianmadanglian Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By Richard Clarke

Arsène Wenger believes Paul Scholes remains one of the greatest footballers in England.

The veteran midfielder began yet another Premier League season with a stunning display at Newcastle on Monday night and,

Sorry, couldn't get any further than that .....
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'The Sun'

Nothing more needs to be said.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Worst journalism my arse. Did Wenger just arrive in the country yesterday?

If you say "Scholes is a great player but has a dark side" which bit do you really expect to get the headline?

Arsene Wenger knows this perfectly well.
  • Options
    VinnienetVinnienet Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the original article the full quote from Wenger? Did he say what was quoted in the second story?

If Wenger had said more than was reported in the original then I don't see whats wrong with it? It's just two journalists taking different slants on an interview.
  • Options
    Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only the Sun added those quotes as far as can be told and the conference was on SSN yesterday and they were not said. It is probably the classic paper thing where the quotes are from a previous interview and they are mixed together.

Of course it's wrong, that is not the jist of the story at all, Wenger is being praiseworthy and saying Scholes is absolute quality. His thing about his dark side is not astonishing, everyone knows that and Wenger was not being harsh about it (which is why it wouldn't make a difference if those extra things were said).

There is enough bullshit and rubbish between rival fans as it is and that is just going to have United fans spouting more crap about Wenger and getting angry when actually it was a complimentary piece. I would say the same if Ferguson came out and did a complimentary piece on Pires if he was still here and said he mentioned at the end that he had the tendency to dive now and again. We all know that, if the bulk is complimentary then say that.

That is more than just a slant, it is manipulation. Not to even mention the positive stuff in curtis' piece!

After reading more opinions about Curtis apparently he has a rep for this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    The scariest thing is they have a circulation of 7.7 million. When you think they can swing an election it's frightening.

Yes Scholes is a true legend of the game. He'll always be my favourite ever player.
  • Options
    madanglianmadanglian Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scariest thing is they have a circulation of 7.7 million. When you think they can swing an election it's frightening.

Hmm, not any more I don't think.
    They certainly didn't want a coalition this time around.
    I think it's only the knuckledraggers who believe anything they read in that paper nowadays.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only the Sun added those quotes as far as can be told and the conference was on SSN yesterday and they were not said. It is probably the classic paper thing where the quotes are from a previous interview and they are mixed together.

Of course it's wrong, that is not the jist of the story at all, Wenger is being praiseworthy and saying Scholes is absolute quality. His thing about his dark side is not astonishing, everyone knows that and Wenger was not being harsh about it (which is why it wouldn't make a difference if those extra things were said).

There is enough bullshit and rubbish between rival fans as it is and that is just going to have United fans spouting more crap about Wenger and getting angry when actually it was a complimentary piece. I would say the same if Ferguson came out and did a complimentary piece on Pires if he was still here and said he mentioned at the end that he had the tendency to dive now and again. We all know that, if the bulk is complimentary then say that.

That is more than just a slant, it is manipulation. Not to even mention the positive stuff in curtis' piece!

After reading more opinions about Curtis apparently he has a rep for this.
    Newspapers always like to print the negative side to interviews, that is what sells papers. Journalists don't care about positive stories, all they want is negativity.