Options

The Hotel..Ch4..8pm..

Comments

• Options
    rosie100rosie100 Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    loggirl wrote: »
    I just checked trip advisor. People there this week have mentioned Christian so he's clearly still there.

There's not a chance that any of his hotels or shops had no Quorn products. Why not ask another hotel?

Saw Christian last week walking near the hotel looking very smart, so he's either there or at another hotel nearby.
  • Options
    rosie100rosie100 Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Something that surprised me was that they never mentioned the Banksy artwork that is on the side of the hotel.
  • Options
    Mrs Cee JayMrs Cee Jay Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark was on Twitter last night, Christian left for a while over Christmas, but is now back. See @thehotel_Mark
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eh??? I don't get the Beef Wellington thing???

Why didn't they pre order it if they wanted it? Did they just decide they wanted it at the last minute? Beef Wellington takes ages to make
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe this is what the future holds?? you don't need to be worried about going into a home, you need to be worried about Christmas as the Grosvenor

Stock up on parcetamol now!
  • Options
    dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened to the lady chef?
    Apologies if this has already been discussed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've loved every episode of his show. Easily an improvement over series 1, which was so dull, this was terrific. And I love Mark, whose work ethic is an example to us all. I particularly liked the way we we made to feel for the various guests. Most reality shows would have had us laughing at them. But not The Hotel; they were all treated with respect and I ended up liking them all (well, apart from the ghastly Bridezilla in Ep 1 and those dreadful randy Welshmen). Great stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    What struck me, more in this episode than others, is Marks dedication to his customers at the expense of his staff.

As has been said, WTF was the beef wellington incident. He should have just said 'I'm sorry, but as it wasn't pre ordered, and as this is a set Christmas menu, we can't do that for you.' Instead, he harrasses his already pushed chef.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep.. I'd go on a trip there Horwich Allstars :-)
    This thread has really made the series doubly enjoyable too... Had a look at Mark's Twitter account, very funny and very him :-)
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    Sentenza wrote: »
    £450 per person not cheap is it?:eek:

No wonder that bloke and his mum weren't happy with having to share a double bed!
  • Options
    DrPepperDrPepper Posts: 2,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really think that the production should have disclosed that the owner also owns the two hotels next door.

It makes a big difference to me....the voiceover says that they have the summer to save the hotel (which they obviously did considering they have a Christmas episode)...but if the other two hotels are different concepts and are doing well, they can support the Grosvenor to some extent.

I feel duped!!!
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    DrPepper wrote: »
    I really think that the production should have disclosed that the owner also owns the two hotels next door.

It makes a big difference to me....the voiceover says that they have the summer to save the hotel (which they obviously did considering they have a Christmas episode)...but if the other two hotels are different concepts and are doing well, they can support the Grosvenor to some extent.

I feel duped!!!

Yes it was interesting they chose never to reveal this during the summer episodes.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosie100 wrote: »
    Something that surprised me was that they never mentioned the Banksy artwork that is on the side of the hotel.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/10/19/article-0-0BA92ED7000005DC-825_468x686.jpg

Hits on the Grosvenor website have gone from 100 a day to 50,000 according to this article... and it doesn't surprise me. I LOVE Mark and his staff, especially Alison and Christian!

Speaking after episode two was broadcast, he said: "We had 55,000 hits on the website after the second episode. We had 30,000 for episode one. We've had 24 wedding inquiries, people want to book with us.

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Viewers-flood-Torquay-TV-hotel-booking-inquiries/story-14400411-detail/story.html
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazellis wrote: »
    Yes it was interesting they chose never to reveal this during the summer episodes.:rolleyes:

They sort of did.

Mark was seen coming out of his room in the pink hotel next door.

In another episode where there was a double booking, Christian offered accommodation in the 'sister hotel' across the road.

In all of the episodes, the leaflets on the reception desk were for all three hotels.
  • Options
    robtuk06robtuk06 Posts: 4,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    They sort of did.

Mark was seen coming out of his room in the pink hotel next door (the Grosvenor is yellow).

In another episode where there was a double booking, Christian offered accommodation in the 'sister hotel' across the road.

In all of the episodes, the leaflets on the reception desk were for all three hotels.

I agree.

It was never explicitly stated, but it was never a secret.

And there is nothing wrong with saying they had the summer to save the hotel... if I owned all three I wouldn't use two profitable hotels to bankroll an unprofitable one.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    does he own the hotel or just squat in room 46?

it isn't clear to me?

mnd you, i have given up watching. it looks scripted to me
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I feel duped!!!

It all sounds a bit complicated.
    The parent company ( of which Mark Jenkins was a director) that owned the three hotels (or mortgages on them) went into voluntary liquidation last July with debts of £900,000.
    Riviera Hotels Torquay is the new limited liability partnership which has now taken over running the hotels. It has two designated members, a newly incorporated company and Mark Jenkins of The Inglewood Hotel in Belgrave Road.

The list of creditors revealed in July recorded debts of £317,000 to HM Revenue and Customs and £279,000 to LloydsTSB.
    Smaller firms left out of pocket included Torbay Turkeys who were owed £3,588, Heathfield butchers FG Leach and Sons who were owed £17,544, The Herald Express who are owed £3,600 and Mr Jenkins himself who is owed £4,785 (?)
    Seperately, Grosvenor Hotel Limited, whose director is Mark Jenkins, is also owed £9,454..weird business isn't it ?

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Trio-hotels-remain-open-despite-owners-placed/story-13333825-detail/story.html
  • Options
    chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two new companies were set up and have taken over the running of all three hotels since June and therefore trading was able to continue uninterrupted and without the loss of any jobs"
    sounds like the traditional 'phoenix' operation - so much easier without all those nasty debts
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel sorry for so many of the guests whose lives are being used for entertainment - for us to snigger at and ridicule when as if they are the lowest if the low.

The guests do agree to go on TV and have cameras in their rooms etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't picked from the 'Do you want to be on TV?' casting agencies.

They are all interviewed in their own homes as part of the programme. For all we know, these inserts may have been filmed before their hotel stay.

Obviously the wedding in the first episode was all pre-arranged, as they were filmed prior to staying at the Grosvenor.
  • Options
    cleo petracleo petra Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find myself going from very irritated at Mark to finding him strangely attractive. I love his energy and determination. Mark if you're reading this.... i can take over from Alison in your personal life bossying you about and generally berating you over everything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cleo petra wrote: »
    I find myself going from very irritated at Mark to finding him strangely attractive. I love his energy and determination. Mark if you're reading this.... i can take over from Alison in your personal life bossying you about and generally berating you over everything.

I fear you may need psychiatric help.

Mark is a plank.
  • Options
    David1964David1964 Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the other thing i have been wondering is when they have often show him moaning on the phone to someone about how he is the only one that can do anything, who is he talking to ???

His answer machine? :D
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    I loved this series, much more than the last one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was expecting Alison to surprise him wearing just tassels and crotchless panties.

:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Mark has to roll her in flour and look for the wet spot before he can make sweet,sweet love to her.:eek:
    :D

I have just cried with laughing at this post:D:D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.