Job interview next week, help!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

Today I received a letter inviting me to a job interview next Wednesday (very short notice I know), but I need some tips on how to do well.
The job is working with children and young adults with learning disabilities, it sounds great and has good training and job prospects but I'm not a confident person and dread public speaking and interviews. The letter says it will include 'group based discussions/tasks' which I'm worrying about already! I know I can do the job but its just getting this across to the employer and not turning into a nervous wreck which has happened to me in interviews before.
Any help appreciated!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Kitty Koo

Firstly congrats on getting through to the interview stage, theres lots of competition out there at the moment...
    After 7 years of being a stay home mum/ housewife I've recently become employed in the same field as you :)
    Try to relax and come across as confident, remember to use all the key words and phrases they're looking for (most of these can usually be found on the advert/essential and desirable criteria

I made a bullet point list of things I wanted them to know about me and memorised it, during the interview I slotted the points in where appropriate.

Don't worry too much about group activities, nearly everyone hates these. Try not to be the pushy one (theres always one!) but don't be too quiet either, get your point across calmly.

Good Luck x
  • JTGEJTGE Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing to add to the good advice TINK has already given, but good luck and don't worry beforehand, as you'll be guided through what to do on the day, and they won't be asking for anything too difficult, even though on paper they make it sound daunting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help both of you :) I'm determined not to let my nerves ruin this for me.

I'll definately write down points I want to say about myself so I don't get flustered trying to think of answers on the spot, it's a good suggestion that :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a few mates to give you a mock interview (let them read the paperwork first).
    Then ask for constructive feedback.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to let you know I got the job :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    congratulations well done! :)
  • Melanie858Melanie858 Posts: 3,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations! I am in the same boat - I just got offered a new job too :)!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitty_koo wrote: »
    Just to let you know I got the job :D:D
    Melanie858 wrote: »
    Congratulations! I am in the same boat - I just got offered a new job too :)!

Congrats. Great to hear some good news! :D
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congrats. And I was just about to pop along with my advice as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Melanie858Melanie858 Posts: 3,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty_koo wrote: »
    Thank you! Good luck for whenever you start :D (it's April 16th for me!)
  • JTGEJTGE Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay, congratulations both of you :)