Options

Cath Kidston

Comments

• Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't do up a whole house in vintage/Cath Kidston/Laura Ashley type stuff but I do like splashes of it here and there. I can't stand totally functional sleek looking decor - all glass tables with steel legs and leather sofas and no photos or books on display. Neither do I like rooms that look like someone just went into John Lewis on a Sat afternoon and said 'I'll have that and that and that'. No personality, no style.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inferior design, then. Badum tish... :)

I see what you did there ;):D

I do love the idea of having Shit above the toilet, like hogzilla I love a bit of postmodern irony
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    MAW wrote: »
    Stick Boden on that list too.

I have a Boden purse and I have to say it's brilliant, it has lasted over a year without getting a scratch or fraying and for me that is a record I treat my purses badly (I have two sets of keys loose in my bag at times as well as pens).
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work with someone who is always buying Cath Kidston stuff.
    the woman is mad, I wouldn't give you tuppance for some of the crap she has brought.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    I'm going to come clean here. We do have some CK in the house. Rubber gloves, with polka dot cuffs.OH seems to find them funny.
  • Options
    cantelpitcantelpit Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't do up a whole house in vintage/Cath Kidston/Laura Ashley type stuff but I do like splashes of it here and there. I can't stand totally functional sleek looking decor - all glass tables with steel legs and leather sofas and no photos or books on display. Neither do I like rooms that look like someone just went into John Lewis on a Sat afternoon and said 'I'll have that and that and that'. No personality, no style.

Ditto, hate the minimalist , devoid of personality hotel room look some seem to favour
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I adore the shabby chic, vintage look. CK and Laura Ashley really should be my natural habitat. If that makes me a middle class yuppie devoid of originality then I will learn to live with it :cry::cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,031
    Forum Member
    Never Nude wrote: »
    I adore the shabby chic, vintage look. CK and Laura Ashley really should be my natural habitat. If that makes me a middle class yuppie devoid of originality then I will learn to live with it :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I veer towards this too. We are not alone. I'm nowhere near middle class. I don't have the money to spend in the likes of CK or Laura Ashley for a kick-off.

The minimalist look does not appeal to me in any way.
  • Options
    cantelpitcantelpit Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    My house was shabby chic before I'd ever heard that phrase, having always bought furniture second hand, I love that solid "brown" furniture is out of fashion as it's so cheap these days.

Have never felt the need (or had the money) to do complete room makeovers or buy new things or replace stuff that's still going strong - only throw things out when they break or get too tatty to rescue or do up.

I like the CK look in small doses but there are cheaper lookalikes out there to add in a few accessories and charity shops are great for "vintage" bargains
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hate this stuff.
    From my experience (The Missus's sister)
    CK stuff is usually bought by women who think it would be a great idea to open a café and sell hand made cup cakes for £4. Who thinks their child is gifted and shouldn't play outside with the poorer kids with oddly spelt names.
    Usually drives a Volvo estate and call their kids Samuel, Lola, and Apple.
    Spends money she doesn't have keeping up appearances.
    Every year we get a round robin telling us how wonderfully perfect their lives are.

Just my own observations.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hate this stuff.
    From my experience (the missus, sister)
    CK stuff is usually bought by women who think it would be a great idea to open a café and sell hand made cup cakes for £4. Who thinks their child is gifted and shouldn't play outside with the poorer kids with oddly spelt names.

You think highly of mum and sister then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    You think highly of mum and sister then.

Who's mum and sister?

Can't stand my partners sister, she is a snob of the highest order.
    Mainly because she doesn't want our autistic son to "infect" her precious child with his behaviour.
  • Options
    dj999dj999 Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who's cath kidston??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think you can generalise about Cath Kidston customers. Yes, some of them are just fashion victim sheep who have jumped on vintage chic as the latest trend and will have moved on next week to whatever look the interior design magazines are now preaching about.

But others genuinely like that look, are naturally attracted to older stuff, patterned fabrics etc and would go for that style anyway. They are usually the shoppers who buy the odd thing in Cath Kidston because it goes with stuff they already have; not the ones who slavishly do up their entire kitchen in pastel colours and polka dots.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I have a few little CK bits and pieces in the house, a couple of coffe mugs, an ipad cover, some napkins, just small accessories, as it sits well with my overall look, which is shabby chic, mostly items of furniture painted by myself, bought dirt cheap and upcycled.

It is a look that I love and that never ages, so I am hapy to keep it forever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm the same. I have some mugs and candles from Cath Kidston because I lilke that style and would have bought them regardless of whether vintage chic was now the current 'look'. I have never liked perfectly matching, all new modern decor or rooms that look too perfect and 'designed'.
    To each their own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mainly because she doesn't want our autistic son to "infect" her precious child with his behaviour.

I know this is of topic but :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The odd CK item is ok but it's all a bit full on for me. I LOVE shabby chic but I find the whole "brand" thing off putting. If you have any CK products, people instantly know where its from and I hate that. I prefer things that are genuinely vintage rather than been designed to look it.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who's mum and sister?

Can't stand my partners sister, she is a snob of the highest order.

I don't think that's Cath Kidston's fault! :eek:
  • Options
    tour de forcetour de force Posts: 4,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate this stuff.
    From my experience (The Missus's sister)
    Every year we get a round robin telling us how wonderfully perfect their lives are.

An unforgivable social affectation in my book. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    The odd CK item is ok but it's all a bit full on for me. I LOVE shabby chic but I find the whole "brand" thing off putting. If you have any CK products, people instantly know where its from and I hate that. I prefer things that are genuinely vintage rather than been designed to look it.

But surely it's just about buying things you like the look of? I don't agree with people just re-doing their house to follow a trend and kitting the whole place out head to toe in Cath Kidston just to be in fashion.
    But studiously avoiding buying something you like from a shop like that because people will know where you got it is just as contrived surely?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things like that only work as a jewel within a much blander context. For themselves and for the overall ambience.

Anyone not seeing that and filling every inch of space with it should be sent on an interior design and aesthetics course. By law.

Anyone still not seeing the light after that should be forceably euthanised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Things like that only work as a jewel within a much blander context. For themselves and for the overall ambience.

Anyone not seeing that and filling every inch of space with it should be sent on an interior design and aesthetics course. By law.

I agree. It's the same with people who like old edwardian or victorian styles and have a house full of dark antique furniture, old gilt framed pictures and ornate velvet chairs. They look more like museums than homes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

who knew you were so sophisticated
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    who knew you were so sophisticated

...Me.