Buying a pay as you go phone from Three

gadget_ukgadget_uk Posts: 441
Forum Member
I was just wondering if I buy a phone direct from Three on pay as you go, would it be unlocked and unbranded?

I am thinking about these latest phones in particular:

Samsung Galaxy S5
HTC One M8
Sony Xperia Z2

Also, on Three pay as you go, when you top-up does the allowance only last 30-days, or does it just continue?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely Locked.

In the past unbranded. My wife and I have had 5 phones from Three all without a "3" brand. Don't know if that has changed. Check the phones in the shop or call and ask.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    They'll be unlocked but with Three branded firmware. (all updates come from Three)

Tops up last as long as you want. It's the bundles/add ons that you buy with credit that last for 30 days.

For future reference-
    Three, CPW and P4U phones come unlocked.
    O2 contract phones come locked but can be unlocked for free by O2 during the term of the contract. Pay as you go is £15 but only after 12 months.
    Vodafone phones are locked, contract customers can unlock for free after 12 months otherwise they pay £19.99. Pay as you go customers can unlock at any time for £19.99.
    EE charge £20 for unlocking contract customers phones, you must have had the phone for at least 6 months before EE will unlock it.

These are the official rules. There may be some workarounds, e.g Vodafone have the power to over ride the rules and unlock a phone for free before they are allowed to.
  • gadget_ukgadget_uk Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    They'll be unlocked but with Three branded firmware. (all updates come from Three)

Tops up last as long as you want. It's the bundles/add ons that you buy with credit that last for 30 days.

For future reference-
    O2 contract phones come locked but can be unlocked for free by O2 during the term of the contract. Pay as you go is £15 but only after 12 months.
    Vodafone phones are locked, contract customers can unlock for free after 12 months otherwise they pay £19.99. Pay as you go customers can unlock at any time for £19.99.
    EE charge £20 for unlocking contract customers phones, you must have had the phone for at least 6 months before EE will unlock it.

These are the official rules. There may be some workarounds, e.g Vodafone have the power to over ride the rules and unlock a phone for free before they are allowed to.

How frequent does Three rollout firmware updates on their phones?

Thanks again.
    Forum Member
    gadget_uk wrote: »
    How frequent does Three rollout firmware updates on their phones?

Thanks again.

Dunno.

Depends on the phone. In some cases it's super quick. In other cases it can be a long time after the official release. And the latter is usually the case on all networks.

Best thing to do is flash the UK stock ROM via Odin so that you get the updates from Samsung direct rather than waiting for Three to release them. (That's if you know what Odin is or anything I just said in the last sentence is).
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For future reference-

Three contract phones certainly used to be locked and charged £15 for unlocking. I have always had them unlocked cheaper elsewhere. Same with their MiFi gadgets.

Are you referring to PAYG Three phones or all Three phones? I wonder when that changed. They have kept that quiet.
  • lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All three phones are definitely unlocked....contract or pay as you go. If you have an older phone that is locked then they will unlock it for free.
    Forum Member
    Three contract phones certainly used to be locked and charged £15 for unlocking. I have always had them unlocked cheaper elsewhere. Same with their MiFi gadgets.

Are you referring to PAYG Three phones or all Three phones? I wonder when that changed. They have kept that quiet.

All their phones are unlocked now as Lee18xx says above.
  • lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got my phone on contract with 3 in july last year and it's definitely locked. Wouldn't accept a t-mobile micro SIM or a Lyca Mobile one.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three were flogging off some Motorola Defy+ phones 6 months ago and they were unlocked and unbranded and identical to the retail version you'd buy from Amazon etc
    Forum Member
    Can we all just refer to post 3 instead of posting contradicting information in this thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I have my phone unlocked for free then? When exactly has 3 started selling unlocked devices?
    Forum Member
    lem ramsay wrote: »
    Can I have my phone unlocked for free then? When exactly has 3 started selling unlocked devices?

Yes. Its free to unlock your phone.

Since start of this year I believe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Its free to unlock your phone.

Since start of this year I believe.

Thank you :)