Options

The Tube BBC2 Monday 8-00pm

Comments

• Options
    wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it'd be quite interesting to see a special about the 7th July bombings on the Underground.
    The original The Tube fly on the wall series about the London Underground had a two part special on it called Under Attack, which I believe is on Youtube.
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this series :)
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I have loved this series and I hope the BBC bring it back for a 2nd series. I liked the ghost station feature that was really interesting! especially how old it looks and how it was used through the war. I always am fascinated by undiscovered worlds like that. From googling Down Street I came across Aldwych station which was used until 1994 and famously used in The Prodigy's Firestarter video in 1996 just in case you all didn't know. These ghost stations can be used for film too.

All in all I have enjoyed the series a lot. When I next go to London to use the tube I think I would respect it all more now because of this programme. Oh and I wish the smiley Tim Pinn was at my local station, because my one is un manned :(

BBC bring this back again! great documentary and it has not got me fascinated with the London Underground.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Even the Cleaner guy who worked permanent Nights......six nights a week!

OK before I retired Nights was always my favourite shift as i'm not one of those people who bounce out of bed at 5am in a morning, so I could identify with his fondness for permanent Nights.

But six! :eek: Bet he was paid peanut money too.

By comparison the husband and wife Electricians combined net income would be well into six figures. What i'd consider a 'very comfortable' wage....even for London.

I wouldn't be too sure that he's paid peanuts either.
    Pretty sure you need Protection Master tickets to do that job
    See what a Protection master is getting paid these days.
    IIRC You need a few tickets/qualifications before you get to PM. Entry permit, Fire core, Track accustomed, Track competency, then Protection Master.
    You don't get these tickets for free, so they up your wages because you can't just pick them up.
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have loved every minute of this programme and I'm sad it's come to an end, I do hope the beeb make another series.

I never give the dust and muck in the tunnels a thought but when explained about it catching fire, you can fully understand why they go to such pain.s to keep it clear.
    I never imagined for one minute how many people actally work there.

Some of the passengers can be really horrible to the staff. The way those creeps were having a go at the wonman because she was shutting the gates, there is just no need at all.

I wouldn't like the responsibility the man who powers the lines has. As he put it "I could kill people" :eek:
    Nope, wouldn't be in charge of that at all.

I thought it quite odd and a bit off that the underground woman went to wake the sleeping passenger on the seat to inform him the last train had gone, why didn't she do it before the train left?

We were laughing at the man who was scared of the dead mouse, he surely must have a phobia or something.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the passengers can be really horrible to the staff. The way those creeps were having a go at the wonman because she was shutting the gates, there is just no need at all.
    Not without risk too, kids all fired up on drink determined to get through with maybe a weapon on them!

I commuted for over 20 years on the underground, oblivious to what went on behind the scenes, now travelling up to London again recently I definitely had a new respect for them. Found myself seeing if I could spot "Mobile Bob" or one of the underground characters featured on the programme, alas no! :D
  • Options
    OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    I thought it quite odd and a bit off that the underground woman went to wake the sleeping passenger on the seat to inform him the last train had gone, why didn't she do it before the train left?

I think because she was at the gate dealing with the people trying to still get in. Of course it doesn't explain why someone watching the cameras didn't notice it and tell them, unless of course there are none and/or they are not manned which would be a bit odd I suppose for a main/busy station. Didn't see her showing him out either which I'd guess she would have to do.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up with a recording of this (as I was away).

I hope they've got plans to film while the Olympics are on. According to all the doom merchants, nobody will able to get around London quick at that time on any public transport so would make interesting viewing.
  • Options
    FriendlyGoatFriendlyGoat Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if the BBC is planning another series of The Tube?

Really enjoyed the series and the special episode that was on a little while ago,
  • Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    According to this post from December last year on District Dave, a second series is indeed planned/in production

http://www.districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/21057/tube-bbc-2-new-series?page=1&scrollTo=356361
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Underground history program was far, far too short IMO.
    I can stomach a second series of the Tube though, expect more of the same, won't be 'groundbreaking' but it'll entertain and that's enough for me.

See how the Route Masters develops, something in the 'tone' isn't quite right, but it's interesting enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ITV series was very similar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phil solo wrote: »
    According to this post from December last year on District Dave, a second series is indeed planned/in production

http://www.districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/21057/tube-bbc-2-new-series?page=1&scrollTo=356361

Fantastic, thanks for confirming!

Bit of an anorak when it comes to the Underground, so I'll be looking forward to a new series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    phil solo wrote: »

A note of caution, this may have been based on the filming conducted for the 'Underground History' episode and may not mean that a second series has been filmed.

Chris
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know whether a second series of The Tube is going to happen? Wikipedia says so, but we all know that means nothing.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heads up for a BBC2 series on Crossrail starting on the 16th:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04b7h1w
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Heads up for a BBC2 series on Crossrail starting on the 16th:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04b7h1w

Thanks for this, will make a note to watch :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How close! :eek:
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good stuff so far with some interesting graphics. I wouldn't want to be the driver going through that eye of the needle.
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Is there no thread for this? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing that, they done it, 35cm below that escalator, and only 85cm above that other tunnel, how on earth did it not collapse!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    Amazing that, they done it, 35cm below that escalator, and only 85cm above that other tunnel, how on earth did it not collapse!

London Clay, I'm guessing, nobody but LU would be allowed to come so close to their property.
    Not that I know a lot about it, only done a little bit of microbore tunnelling under live railway lines.
    The have what they call a field of influence, the zone where the tunnelling can affect the railway lines.
    Once you get into that zone you've got to keep on tunnelling 24/7 until you're outside of that zone, not that it probably applies here as they're going 24/7 anyway.
    You stop tunnelling and the ground begins to grip the TBM, stop long enough and you'll have problems getting started, as Brunel found out when trying to sink his shaft in Rotherhithe.
    We had a TBM break down and stop work for 2-3 weeks, a lot of people where surprised it moved again 85 meters of concrete pipe takes a lot of pushing.

The full 2 hours of building the Victoria line, doc should still be on the Halcrow site, if you're a very dull person like me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was hot! :D
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    She was hot! :D

Assume you mean Mary? Or maybe Elizabeth? ;-) Fine machines indeed.

What an interesting programme though. I liked how it was all explained so well. Even a thicko like me understood it all. I certainly understand a lot more about tunnelling now.
  • Options
    rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was so excited when I saw this was returning but I was disgusted with this "reboot" no mention of Jools Holland or Paula Yates from the original C4 80's series. No music whatsoever, very poor by the BBC! What on earth is our licence fee used for!>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(