Neighbours smoke

Comments

• tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    You can quote me if you like, just don't put words in my mouth.

If you feel strongly enough about it, then go tell them. Not sure how you would get on with that, a punch in the nose may be more harmful than the smoke ever was. It doesn't matter where the smoke is though. The biological function of smell works by particles of a substance reaching your nose. If these particles are harmful and you can smell it, then you are breathing in harmful particles.

No worse than incineration plants and peoples bonfires,
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    No worse than incineration plants and peoples bonfires,

Pretty sure they'd be annoying in the garden too ;)
  • MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can quote me if you like, just don't put words in my mouth.

If you feel strongly enough about it, then go tell them. Not sure how you would get on with that, a punch in the nose may be more harmful than the smoke ever was. It doesn't matter where the smoke is though. The biological function of smell works by particles of a substance reaching your nose. If these particles are harmful and you can smell it, then you are breathing in harmful particles.
    If anyone is so concerned by smoking in gardens, never eat a piece of barbecued red meat that is singed or even burnt toast as both are carcinogenic, (Hope no one complaining drives a diesel car) I see the usual smoker prejudice going on here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Mutter wrote: »
    Your link
    makes no mention of smoking outside but in confined spaces. If it was so dangerous, it would be banned not only in Pubs, but the Pub garden as well. Remember the ban was brought in to protect the health of workers.

Taking your rationale, when I smell smoke from across the road, and believe me, I can, should I go across and ask the smoker not to as my health is being harmed?

Just wanted to comment on your post if it was so bad it would be banned.Dont agree im afraid,there is too much money involved,the government don't want to ban it.If they wanted to they could.Ah well i'll have a friendly word,but if she has a narky attitude that's when i'll blow my top,it really doesn't take much and I get on with all our other neighbours.OH has said to leave it but I cant just sit there while my kids are asking me what the disgusting smell is>:(.Will let you know how I get on.If I don't respond ive been arrested:o:D (joke) x
    Forum Member
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    Just ask her if it would be possible in fine weather if she could smoke away from the doorway but you don't expect her to stand out in the rain, as a compromise. Light candles in your living room and use air freshners.

Haha we do have candles and air fresheners as we are owned by a big hairy dog.It does sound good though,just in the nicer weather could she smoke further away from her back door.Obviously in rain winter I wont care so much.I think the fact its constant makes it worse,she must be on 40 a day and has the smokers cough to go with it
    Forum Member
    If anyone is so concerned by smoking in gardens, never eat a piece of barbecued red meat that is singed or even burnt toast as both are carcinogenic, (Hope no one complaining drives a diesel car) I see the usual smoker prejudice going on here.

I have a diesel car,what does that mean:blush:
    Forum Member
    Just wanted to comment on your post if it was so bad it would be banned.Dont agree im afraid,there is too much money involved,the government don't want to ban it.If they wanted to they could.Ah well i'll have a friendly word,but if she has a narky attitude that's when i'll blow my top,it really doesn't take much and I get on with all our other neighbours.OH has said to leave it but I cant just sit there while my kids are asking me what the disgusting smell is>:(.Will let you know how I get on.If I don't respond ive been arrested:o:D (joke) x

Think in some ways your OH is right, she is doing nothing wrong in her own garden, and even if you blow you top will not change anything as she is doing nothing wrong, no rules no laws no nothing is being broken or bent rules its just one of them things
    Forum Member
    I have a diesel car,what does that mean:blush:

More than 10 million motorists who were “betrayed and misled” into buying diesel cars have been warned that they face higher costs as the European Union puts pressure on Britain to cut air pollution levels.

It comes as Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, announced plans to charge diesel drivers an extra £10 to drive in the capital – a measure that could be copied by as many as 18 other cities.

For more than a decade, motorists buying diesel cars have enjoyed tax breaks because the cars produce lower levels of carbon dioxide and are more fuel efficient.

Now, Britain is being sued by the European Commission for breaching air pollution limits, because emissions from diesel vehicles are contributing to tens of thousands of premature deaths each year.

Senior Conservatives are understood to be lobbying the Government to increase road taxes on diesel vehicles to bring them into line with petrol, although ministers have ruled out such a move in this parliament.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

you don`t need to if you use the fan blowing out of the window trick, it won`t come in in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant the ban was brought in to save the health of workers with people smoking around them. If smoking in the open air was harmful when being waited on for instance, it would be a total workplace ban. I didn't mean ban smoking altogether. The NHS makes far more from smokers than it spends on them so that won't happen.
    If she overhears your children, maybe she will stop without you saying something. I just put up with neighbours smoking, none of my business, but if a trampoline is ever put against my fence I'll be out of here.

As for your diesel query, that's the latest scare and leaving a diesel engine running will be a fine of £20, don't think it's been brought in yet. One thing though as you drive a diesel, always keep your face turned away when filling it up, supposed to be dangerous inhaling it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More than 10 million motorists who were “betrayed and misled” into buying diesel cars have been warned that they face higher costs as the European Union puts pressure on Britain to cut air pollution levels.

It comes as Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, announced plans to charge diesel drivers an extra £10 to drive in the capital – a measure that could be copied by as many as 18 other cities.

For more than a decade, motorists buying diesel cars have enjoyed tax breaks because the cars produce lower levels of carbon dioxide and are more fuel efficient.

Now, Britain is being sued by the European Commission for breaching air pollution limits, because emissions from diesel vehicles are contributing to tens of thousands of premature deaths each year.

Senior Conservatives are understood to be lobbying the Government to increase road taxes on diesel vehicles to bring them into line with petrol, although ministers have ruled out such a move in this parliament.
    They were indeed betrayed and misled Tim. I don't drive a diesel simply because the best car at the time happened to be petrol.
    I don't understand the logic at all as diesels do so much more to the gallon so less filling up. Or is that too simplistic?
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member

I assume Nessy wears a protective gas mask at all times anyway to prevent even 1 dangerous particle entering her pristine lungs.

Smoke smells and you have every right to object to it, but banging on about the health risks of a waft of smoke in a well ventilated area is ridiculous.
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    I assume Nessy wears a protective gas mask at all times anyway to prevent even 1 dangerous particle entering her pristine lungs.

Smoke smells and you have every right to object to it, but banging on about the health risks of a waft of smoke in a well ventilated area is ridiculous.

Who's "banging on" about it? I merely corrected someone's wrong statement.
    Forum Member

With your very own wrong statement...
    Forum Member
    With your very own wrong statement...

Which one?
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About half of the houses along my street are rented and at almost any time you will see chavvy looking people smoking outside their front door, as the tenancy agreements forbid smoking inside the house. At least it helps to protect the children, but the entire street smells of **** in the evenings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only wrong in your opinion. Doesn't make you correct.
    Forum Member
    Only wrong in your opinion. Doesn't make you correct.

Nothing to do with my opinion. Science bro ;) Second hand smoke is proven to be harmful. I find it bizarre that you don't think so.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning all,sorry if this posts a bit long winded but here goes,new neighbour has just moved in,shes lovely and weve had a few brief chats however she's a chain smoker and is constantly sat on her back doorstep smoking which then comes straight into my house(terraced),the living room absolutely stinks as does my young sons room upstairs.Im now having to constantly keep the windows closed and in this weather its a pain and don't see why I should. I know its her own property but why should we as non smokers have to breathe in that shite. She smokes outside so obviously doesn't want her house to smell but its okay for mine. I plan on having a word but I have a very short fuse and am getting wound up typing this. I don't want to fall out with her but the smell is vile, is it just a case of put up and shut up?>:(
    I can relate to this exactly as my neighbour has recently fallen out with me over a similar thing. It's not so much a case of 'put up and shut up', but more a case of reasonable tolerance of others......something which seems lacking in today's society with folk becoming little Dictators.

I have a paved driveway and front which suffers from weed growing through. After spending a small fortune on various weedkiller, none of which had much effect, i bought a Flamegun. It's one of these things. It uses Paraffin for fuel and is highly effective. At last i've managed to destroy all the weeds. Yes they eventually grow again, but take much longer.

Bearing in mind i've been using this Flamegun now for a year, yet only the other night my neighbour came out telling me i'm wasting my time because they just grow again. I told her i know that, but at least i'm making the effort to keep them at bay. They are both fanatical gardeners with trimmed lawn and pretty plastic chain link stuff around the edges. Anyone else would think they'd be glad they had a neighbour who made the effort to stop weeds creeping into their precious garden.....but no, for some folk it's something to have a whine and whinge about.

She then complained about the noise it makes! So i told her she's more than welcome to come and pull my weeds out herself by hand if the noise 'upsets' her that much! FGS i'm only using it during Summer for approx 90 mins once every four or five weeks! :o

She went off in a huff and sent her husband out who moaned about 'the smell' (ironically both of them smoke! :confused:), so i told him to shut the windows.

Sorry OP but i don't have a great deal of sympathy on this one. I've highlighted the parts you should take note of......her back doorstep.....her property. What she does on her property is her business.....not yours!

You have a number of options;

Move and specify your neigbours must be non-smokers.

Buy a couple of industrial fans and leave those running facing your neighbours side.

Wait till they move, then buy up the property to stop anyone moving in.

Buy a detached house in remote countryside......but don't then moan about the stench when the local Farmer does his muck spreading.

Haha we do have candles and air fresheners as we are owned by a big hairy dog.It does sound good though,just in the nicer weather could she smoke further away from her back door.Obviously in rain winter I wont care so much.I think the fact its constant makes it worse,she must be on 40 a day and has the smokers cough to go with it
    BIB is absolutely none of your business whatsover. :o:o >:(
    I'm glad you aren't my other neighbour.....i've enough with the two busybody nosy parkers on the other side! >:(
  • Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smokers are persecuted enough without it happening on their own property in their own time in private. Leave the poor woman alone and close your window.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lou Kelly wrote: »
    Smokers are persecuted enough without it happening on their own property in their own time in private. Leave the poor woman alone and close your window.
    Exactly......and well said.

The more i've read of the OP's posts i've gone from slightly annoyed to bloody angry about how some people think they have a God given right to dictate the way other people live their lives. >:(>:(
    Forum Member
    Nothing to do with my opinion. Science bro ;) Second hand smoke is proven to be harmful. I find it bizarre that you don't think so.

Yet the report you link to is on about indoors not in the open air, that is why the smoking ban only applies to closed building were the public go NOT outdoors were the public are. Smoking out doors just comes under general air polution and i have not seen any reports about second hand smoke in the open air
    Forum Member

Second hand smoke in an enclosed environment, yes it is harmful. Second hand smoke in a well ventilated outside area. nope sorry. Unpleasant yes. Harmful no. Certainly not more so than the rest of the crap we have floating about in our air anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lou Kelly wrote: »
    Thing being, the smoker lady only has to refuse to budge and all good neighbour relations go down hill.
    I never start a battle unless I believe I can win and this could go so badly wrong.

"Why should we as non smokers have to breathe in that shite?"

Why should I have to put up with kids shrieking until 9.30 at night? Pick up cat poo when I don't own a cat? Be woken up by drunks leaving the Bar? Cars revving, horns beeping and on, and on?
    It's all part of having neighbours unfortunately.
    Forum Member
    Yet the report you link to is on about indoors not in the open air, that is why the smoking ban only applies to closed building were the public go NOT outdoors were the public are. Smoking out doors just comes under general air polution and i have not seen any reports about second hand smoke in the open air
    Second hand smoke in an enclosed environment, yes it is harmful. Second hand smoke in a well ventilated outside area. nope sorry. Unpleasant yes. Harmful no. Certainly not more so than the rest of the crap we have floating about in our air anyway.

It doesn't matter where it is. Smoke is smoke regardless of whether it is inside or out. The OP is inside anyway, so this argument makes little sense.