Options

Players who went from hero to zero (or vice versa)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Let's open it to managers as well!

Hero to zero: Mike Walker - from triumph in the Munich Olympic Stadium to the worst Everton manager of all time.

Even Howard Kendall in his second and third spells and certainly at Sheffield United.

Zinedine Zidane went from hero to zero in the space of 30 seconds.... to have the most wondeful career remembered for that!

A number of Dutch players - Babel, Roy, van der Meyde spring to mind. The Dutch are always getting hyped up because of their history.

What about teams? Luton Town and Oxford were always impressive when I was a kid, especially Luton. It doesn't seem right to see em down there somehow.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    RVP with Arsenal fans definitely. Ashley Cole too

Rooney for a few days with a selection of United fans :D

Owen was never really that big a fans favourite at Pool though. He was always overshadowed by Fowler.

While he didn't go from ZERO to hero, Luis Garcia after the latter stages of the CL 05 became a Pool legend all of a sudden with those massively important goals!
    Owen's two goals in the 2001 FA Cup Final against Arsenal was heroic, but that has been clouded now by his desision to join MU.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Yeah all of these players had potential that was never fully realised for one reason or another.

Keith Gillespie was another. When he went to Newcastle as part of the Cole deal he really could have been a big big player i think.

I never really thought that Gillespie was that much of a loss, I was soooooo happy though that we signed Cole at the time!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's open it to managers as well!

Hero to zero: Mike Walker - from triumph in the Munich Olympic Stadium to the worst Everton manager of all time.

Even Howard Kendall in his second and third spells and certainly at Sheffield United.

Zinedine Zidane went from hero to zero in the space of 30 seconds.... to have the most wondeful career remembered for that!

A number of Dutch players - Babel, Roy, van der Meyde spring to mind. The Dutch are always getting hyped up because of their history.

What about teams? Luton Town and Oxford were always impressive when I was a kid, especially Luton. It doesn't seem right to see em down there somehow.

If you are talking teams, surely it doesn't come any more "hero to zero" than Wimbledon? From FA Cup winners in 1988, to being non-existent a decade or so later?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Keith Gillespie was another. When he went to Newcastle as part of the Cole deal he really could have been a big big player i think.

Do you remember Willy Morgan? He was a summarizer on radio in the 90s, and I distinctly remember him commenting on the transfer in his Scottish accent, really serious:

"Listen - Keith Gillespie is going to be one of THE. GREAT. PLAYERS."

He was talking as if Gillespie was a new kind of George Best, he thought he'd be better than Giggs - I never saw him, was there really enough there to suggest that he would be, or was Morgan just saying outrageous stuff to get a reaction?
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hero to zero: Gabriel Heinze, for me. I absolutely loved that guy, at United, until he foolishly tried to force a move to Liverpool. What an absolute berk.

Great shout.

I echo what you have said too.

I was a fan of his, but his angling for a move to Liverpool (of all places) was unforgivable IMO.

Saying that, he did admit a few years later that it was the wrong thing to do & regretted doing it.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great shout.

I was a fan of his, but his angling for a move to Liverpool (of all places) was unforgivable IMO.

Saying that, he did admit a few years later that it was the wrong thing to do & regretted doing it.

Yes, now that you've said that, I do recall something along those lines. I have no doubt that his agent had a lot to do with it. Still, he should have had enough about him to realise the implications of what he was doing.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RVP with Arsenal fans definitely. Ashley Cole too

Rooney for a few days with a selection of United fans :D

Owen was never really that big a fans favourite at Pool though. He was always overshadowed by Fowler.

While he didn't go from ZERO to hero, Luis Garcia after the latter stages of the CL 05 became a Pool legend all of a sudden with those massively important goals!

This really shocks me, especially considering how many goals Owen scored for LFC.

I wonder if this is the reason why Owen appears not to have that affinity with LFC that you would expect & was lot to do with him moving to Real Madrid & proclaiming them as the best team in the world, only to see LFC lift the European Cup at the end of the season.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Great shout.

Loyalty works both ways. He broke his leg and we replaced him. He went from first team regular to bit part player. In those circumstances i wouldnt expect him to show us any loyalty or consideration in terms of the club he wanted to join next.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you remember Willy Morgan? He was a summarizer on radio in the 90s, and I distinctly remember him commenting on the transfer in his Scottish accent, really serious:

"Listen - Keith Gillespie is going to be one of THE. GREAT. PLAYERS."

He was talking as if Gillespie was a new kind of George Best, he thought he'd be better than Giggs - I never saw him, was there really enough there to suggest that he would be, or was Morgan just saying outrageous stuff to get a reaction?[/QUOTE]
    I started supporting NUFC about the time he signed and tbh I thought he was a good player (nothing outstanding but good).
    I guess you could say though when he twatted one of his team mates on a plane it could have been a hero to zero moment though.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member

It's a minor footnote. French fans will always respect Zidane for 1998 and 2000, and Real Madrid fans for 2002. Personally I think that Italian got what he deserved.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barton losing his head and being red carded helped Man City win the title, so how would he be a hero for Man U fans? :confused:

I didn't say they were INTELLIGENT Man Utd supporters. ;) (I pointed the same point you've made out to them)

Just because he tried to take out as many players on his way off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a minor footnote. French fans will always respect Zidane for 1998 and 2000, and Real Madrid fans for 2002. Personally I think that Italian got what he deserved.

Plenty of other players would have dearly loved to have done what Zidane did to that particular player. Even Shevchenko elbowed him and got away with it. Also worth noting that in 1998 he missed games through red cards.

I know a few Irish Arsenal supporters who said Henry went from hero to zero after a certain handball.

Salif Diao went from zero to hero back to zero in one match for Senegal in 2002. Conceded a penalty, then equalised, then got sent off! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't say they were INTELLIGENT Man Utd supporters. ;) (I pointed the same point you've made out to them)

Just because he tried to take out as many players on his way off.

'Take out' :D
    Makes him sound like he had an assault rifle and bullet belts round him! :eek:

It just looked like the biggest flounce ever, and Aguero won the Oscar for best dramatic performance in 'Being Assaulted By Joey Barton'.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Plenty of other players would have dearly loved to have done what Zidane did to that particular player. Even Shevchenko elbowed him and got away with it. Also worth noting that in 1998 he missed games through red cards.

I know a few Irish Arsenal supporters who said Henry went from hero to zero after a certain handball.

Salif Diao went from zero to hero back to zero in one match for Senegal in 2002. Conceded a penalty, then equalised, then got sent off! :D

Those Irish fans need to get over themselves.

I'm Irish and was as upset as the next man, but honestly fair play to Henry, his team were having a mare he saw an opportunity to create a winner and took it. It was up to the ref/linesmen to punish him and they didn't. If Kevin Doyle or anyone on the Irl team did the same thing he would have been deemed a hero by the Irish fans

Roy Keane summed it up well, (paraphrase) the ball should never have got near Henry, it should have been cleared by McShane (who evidently went from hero to zero himself in his Irish international career!) beforehand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those Irish fans need to get over themselves.

I'm Irish and was as upset as the next man, but honestly fair play to Henry, his team were having a mare he saw an opportunity to create a winner and took it. It was up to the ref/linesmen to punish him and they didn't. If Kevin Doyle or anyone on the Irl team did the same thing he would have been deemed a hero by the Irish fans

Roy Keane summed it up well, (paraphrase) the ball should never have got near Henry, it should have been cleared by McShane (who evidently went from hero to zero himself in his Irish international career!) beforehand.

Personally I think if it hadn't been for Kilbane having a rush of blood in TWO games against Italy France wouldn't have happened so I blame him.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Owen hargreaves hero to zero
    Carlos tevez hero to zero
    Paul ince hero to zero
    Gazza hero to zero
    Maradonna hero to zero
    Solskjaer zero to hero and a bloody legend too :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Torres

Hero to zero among Liverpool fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torres

Hero to zero among Liverpool fans.

Bit late there Barry, I have already mentioned him! ;)
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Hargreaves is a good shout, really disappointed me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bit late there Barry, I have already mentioned him! ;)

Well, now your post has the official Big Boy Barry seal of approval too, which makes it even more valid.
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Robbie Fowler. Made a fortune from his Liverpoool days and never made much of his ability when he left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    Robbie Fowler. Made a fortune from his Liverpoool days and never made much of his ability when he left.

Still a hero to Liverpool fans.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,045
    Forum Member
    Well in many ways it WAS wasted. What would be the average goal return for an average striker playing in the team Chelsea has currently? I dont think 17 goals would be an unreasonable tally for Lukaku for example. I think the purchase of Torres was really to be the difference between "average" and "great" and thats what the 50m was for. In that respect its been a complete failure because he hasnt scored the goals that the average striker wouldnt have.

For me if the topic was about "Players that weren't worth as much as the club paid for them" then Torres would make perfect sense. But as you say, his goal return is equivalent to that of an average player (not a p*ss poor one) - so that for me doesn't really make him a 'zero'. I guess it's all down to how you interpret the concept though so I think we'll just have to disagree on this one.

From a purely Liverpool point-of-view though then I'd say he did go from hero to zero, but the same could be said of a lot of players that move from one club to another, e.g. RvP, Ashley Cole etc with Arsenal fans.
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Barry Venison's punditry career!