Arne Dahl BBC4 6th April NO SPOILERS!!!

Comments

• NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to a decent bit of TV tonight with this. Scott & Bailey seems to be going down the pan, Not Going Out has already gone that route and all the CSIs have lost their appeal for me as has NCIS. And I find I can't be too bothered watching the Jonathon Ross Show, though I did watch Ben Kingsley, Alan Carr Chatty Man though I liked 'Fall Out Boy' and last night even got fed up listening to the people on the Graham Norton Show - it wasn't because I didn't like the people on :(
  • Seagull259Seagull259 Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one having trouble with the subtitles? So much daylight compared to other Scandi dramas I am losing some of the subtitles to the background!
    Forum Member
    Seagull259 wrote: »
    Am I the only one having trouble with the subtitles? So much daylight compared to other Scandi dramas I am losing some of the subtitles to the background!

Oh yes, I'd forgotten. There was often too much white paper on desks with white sub-titles in front :mad: I couldn't think why we don't usually have that problem. :confused:
  • EosterwineEosterwine Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Anyone else here?
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eosterwine wrote: »
    Anyone else here?

Yes :D
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nyberg had a bit of a "Oh Svartman!!" moment when he told Viggo "We'll nail the shooter" :rolleyes:

So Aarto is still "connected"?? That could cause him some trouble later
  • SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like the first episode I thought it was a bit slow but then the pace really picked up in the final hour/45 mins. Starting to warm to the characters a bit (even Chavez who i had a dislike for after the 1st episode) and in different ways as each one is so different.

Overall I thought it was pretty good and will be watching next weeks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a chat with Arne Dahl on Twitter.
    I asked if Nyberg did his own stunts he said:
    "I was actually present at the shooting of the Nyberg shooting scene. There was a stunt man..."

I also said I like the bit he runs through the hedge, he replied:
    "It's one of my favourite moments. :)"

Oh and Thelonius Monk sales went up in Sweden after the series was shown :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a total aside, Jenny's kecks were atrocious!
    :D

still are!!! :eek:

BTW did anyone spot Arne Dahl doing a Hitchock in this scene?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01rxpc1/?t=29m46s
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder whether the cleaner will be a recurring character.
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was my least favourite of the Scandinavian dramas. Characters didn't come thru; main character wrongly cast. IMO, of course. Shall continue to watch, though.
    Forum Member
    Sanguinius wrote: »
    Like the first episode I thought it was a bit slow but then the pace really picked up in the final hour/45 mins. Starting to warm to the characters a bit (even Chavez who i had a dislike for after the 1st episode) and in different ways as each one is so different.

Overall I thought it was pretty good and will be watching next weeks.

I like Chavez too. I like the way the camaraderie between the group is growing and the little wave Holm gave to Hjelm at the end was really nice, very natural, gave me a warm fuzzy feeling :) Thought Nyborg was like 'The Hulk' after getting shot :D
    chloe_26 wrote: »
    still are!!! :eek:

BTW did anyone spot Arne Dahl doing a Hitchock in this scene?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01rxpc1/?t=29m46s

I didn't know anything about Arne Dahl so wouldn't have spotted him. Had a look at the clip and Googled him. Also found out that Arne Dahl is a pen name, quote = "of respected Swedish novelist and literary critic Jan Arnald"
    http://takingtheshortview.wordpress.com/2013/04/07/arne-dahl-the-blinded-man-part-1-bbc4/
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Chavez too. I like the way the camaraderie between the group is growing and the little wave Holm gave to Hjelm at the end was really nice, very natural, gave me a warm fuzzy feeling :)

Yeah same here. I think the characters are quite quirky in their own ways - I already like them!
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed last nights again!

Not into BGT and the Voice etc, so it was nice to have this to look forward to. Looking forward to next weeks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Definitely worth sticking with. Not up to the standard of Wallander/The Bridge etc. but enjoyable enough. We have the Swedish DVDs of the first 4 2x1.5 h episodes, currently half-way through the third, and they have got better as they go on. Not very many likable characters, I would say, but Chavez is certainly. And the 'cleaner' is a recurring character, and a nice touch.
  • Mr CynicMr Cynic Posts: 5,435
    Forum Member
    It was rather strained IMO, and so PC.

The next story had better be tighter or I'll be giving the rest a miss.
    Forum Member
    tvchris wrote: »
    Definitely worth sticking with. Not up to the standard of Wallander/The Bridge etc. but enjoyable enough. We have the Swedish DVDs of the first 4 2x1.5 h episodes, currently half-way through the third, and they have got better as they go on. Not very many likable characters, I would say, but Chavez is certainly. And the 'cleaner' is a recurring character, and a nice touch.

I like Norlander and as I said earllier Chavez, but quite like Nyberg and Hjelm as well. The rest are ok, nothing to actively dislike.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like Chavez and Hjelm (my two favourite characters) are going to be mates from now on.

Also liked the odd cleaner making his appearance again - this time doing a little jig. :D
  • Andy_EnglandAndy_England Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Also liked the odd cleaner making his appearance again - this time doing a little jig. :D

Did I miss some sort of relevance with him? At one point I actually thought he might be the murderer. That'd be me over-thinking things again!

I must admit, I don't enjoy it as much as The Killing, Bridge, Borgen etc., but I'll be sticking with it.
  • enfant_terribleenfant_terrible Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    It took 4 separate attempts to get into the first episode. So glad I stuck with it. Of course the big question is ... who is the phantom janitor???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I know is that Arne Dahl said on Twitter that the cleaner 'isn't accessible to logic'. Dahl seems quite cryptic in his comments that I've seen re. the cleaner.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it odd that the "top financiers" didn't seem to worry about their personal safety and hire bodyguards (and keep away from doors and windows!) after the first two or three killings. They could surely afford it. Even when the police finally got round to putting a watch on them, they only sent two officers to watch each house, which would be nowhere near enough for the kind of mansions the financiers lived in.
  • pondsmanpondsman Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    This show was a reminder that all Scandinavian cop shows are not as good as 'The Killing' and 'The Bridge'. BBC 4 obviously just jumping on a bandwagon with this one. The show had poor plotting and an unconvincing leading character. It's more akin to 'Midsomer Murders' than to the previous Scandinavian shows, which were excellent. I've not read the Arne Dahl books, but I hope they are better than these TV adaptations.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    scotch wrote: »
    Yes :D

I thought that Arne Dahl was a shopping centre and that's why I didn't watch this.:confused:
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    I watched the first two episodes.

It is definitely of a much lower quality than what we are used to on BBC4. I will give it another go, and maybe the characters will develop a bit.

The one big problem with it for me is that I care so little for the main character, the supporting cast are not bad, but he is very weak.

The story was full of holes, as someone else pointed out, it seemed ridiculous given what was happening that the top financiers were going around without security.

I am interested to see how it develops.