Would another channel possibley save doi and bring it back in 2015:)

mrmattybeckmrmattybeck Posts: 1,697
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It could happen its happened before

Comments

• Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unlikely I would say. Maybe in 10 years or so it could make a comeback - sometimes when shows have been off the air a while nostalgia sets in so they can find an audience again
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Unlikely - only ITV could probably afford to do it (fees, months of pre training, hiring the studio). The BBC has strictly - so it wouldn't.

It is ending as T&D want out - it wouldn't work without them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Any attempt to keep DOI alive would be flogging a dead horse, it simply wouldn't work and would fail massively, this is a show that's had it's day and should bow out gracefully for us all to remember fondly. I mean who gives a damn about the Channel 5 Big Brother? Nobody!
  • HeatherbellHeatherbell Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    It would be great if another channel would take it on. It would never be the same with T&D but I'd still watch to see the other professional skaters.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Harr123 wrote: »
    Any attempt to keep DOI alive would be flogging a dead horse, it simply wouldn't work and would fail massively, this is a show that's had it's day and should bow out gracefully for us all to remember fondly. I mean who gives a damn about the Channel 5 Big Brother? Nobody!
    Plenty of people in fact.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=celebrity+big+brother+ratings+channel+5

DOI is ending at the right time though and won't return elsewhere for reasons already stated.
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    I think without a big name couple - and I'd also dare suggest a big name British couple it like T&D (and we don't really have that do we? The Kerrs being the nearest but they've said no in the past IIRC) it it's got no chance.

I've toyed with the idea does it need a couple to lead it as SCD just has the pros and celebs, and on balance I think DOI does, somehow.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Unlikely - only ITV could probably afford to do it (fees, months of pre training, hiring the studio). The BBC has strictly - so it wouldn't.

It is ending as T&D want out - it wouldn't work without them.

No it wouldnt unless someone known like the Kerrs as Sallyforth mentions, take over. T and D must feel tired after 10 years. But on the other hand the Kerrs would find it odd to take over T&D who are so iconic in their own right. Bring in non-joke acts in 2014 and the rating might even go up. IMO what killed it for me was the jokers staying on for so long.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a report on DS news that ITV might keep it going with a new couple at the helm.
  • conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Today's papers are running an item suggesting it could go on with another set of pro staters at the helm. Sounds like a fresh approach to me.... just get rid of Bleakley, bring back Holly from the awful VOICE.. and away we go !!!
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    conchie wrote: »
    Today's papers are running an item suggesting it could go on with another set of pro staters at the helm. Sounds like a fresh approach to me.... just get rid of Bleakley, bring back Holly from the awful VOICE.. and away we go !!!

The problem is the names. Most of the UK's theatres are filled with shows who producers think will sell on name recognition to an elderly/older middle aged audience. The result is pretty unwatchable, but its cheap, nasty, and enough people turn up.There's no one else in that field who is know by more than a tiny few.

Changing choregraphers could deal with the big problem that there's too few good routines. You would also open up the possibility of using your pro skaters more and using some of the current , or more likely past, olympic standard, talent to put on a display.The pros have already organised such a show this year. You could also follow the line of attack they have tried a bit by having good singers on to accompany routines. If your new skating names are cheaper than Tand D , other possibilities open up. there may be a shortage of talent - but the first place to look now may be the SCD graduates, and the reuniting bands on other Tv channels- and theres so little theatre or TV drama made now that the ranks of resting actors must be expanding.

The TV trend seems to be to cheaper shows . Splash and the new singing show just use fewer celebs, and less expensive set ups. Splash though showed what you could do using current talent, and had a scoring system that actually reflected the difficulty of the moves. Emma Bunton's singing show may also have avoided the problem of too little content, becoming less week on week, by not sending someone home every week and adding scores? There's probably numerous better ways of filling the time.

The name to attract viewers to week one is the problem, but you have options of using a popular presenter (a Biggins if absolutely necessary) and someone like Alesha to pull people in. You just have to make the show spectacular enough so that people don't conclude its T and D light.
    Forum Member
    Problem is, who is going to replace Torvill and Dean? Which names is the world of figure skating have the same pulling power as Jayne and Chris. I can't think of anyone off hand. People just need to accept that nothing lasts forever, it's just like those people in South Africa who are preparing to go all hysterical when Nelson Mandela dies, he's 94, very frail and coming to the end of his days, yes it'll be the sad end of an era when it finally happens, but it's an inevitability, get used to it. Same here with Dancing on Ice
  • KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bringing back the required elements and not having celebs who are going to win from day 1 (Ray, Hayley) would be the two most positive changes the show could make IMO.

For me series 3 has yet to be bettered, because right up to the very end I had no idea if Suzanne or Chris was going to win, plus the required elements meant there was something to compare the skaters against every week. I wasn't a fan of his, but I cheered when Chris nailed the spin in Cry Me A River. As a non-skater, the judges can tell me something was good or bad, but if I can't see examples of good and bad technique to compare then their comments don't really guide me and I vote on who I like the most (if I can be bothered voting). The show doesn't feel like a competition to me, but rather a series of celebs and pros doing routines that may or may not be difficult, because there's little to no meaningful contrast.

While I'm ranting, I'd also set a maximum number of lifts per routine..........
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Id love the Kerr's
    Forum Member
    The Kerrs I remember said they wouldn't go on DOI in one interview. They're probably the most well known names in British figure skating atm, but to be honest can you see them mentoring celebs? I can't personally.
  • serafimoserafimo Posts: 1,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What role were the Kerrs offered before? I can understand why they wouldn't want to be actually partnering celebs, but taking on the T&D role and having more creative input would be a different proposition imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    They could do this I think without Jayne and Chris. Alot of the pros are popular enough but for me Jayne and Chris were the stars of the show and the reason I watch so it would never be as good for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    serafimo wrote: »
    What role were the Kerrs offered before? I can understand why they wouldn't want to be actually partnering celebs, but taking on the T&D role and having more creative input would be a different proposition imo.

Maybe the Kerrs could do a show with non-celebs? Doesn't have to be celebs for me to watch.
    Forum Member
    I suppose one possibility is that in a few years time. Challenge TV may acquire all 9 series so that in about 5 or 6 years from now, we nostalgic types can watch back and remember DOI fondly as it was, obviously they would have to edit out all the bits and bobs such as the phone numbers etc, but they seem to manage that pretty well with what they have, heck they've even managed to stop Mr Chips arm from moving during that famous "Snake Charmer" catchphrase!!
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant see any other channel taking it on for 4 reasons.
    1. Too expensive
    2. Torvil and Dean make the show (wasn't it their idea)
    3.Too many risk factors and I should think they would find it hard to attract celebrities.
    4.This year they got Pamela Anderson and despite the big name, the audience didn't take to her and homegrown 'A' listers would never have time to do it as many celebs only go on these programmes as they have nothing lined up.