Options

Road accident injury compensation call

TalizmanTalizman Posts: 2,899
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Aiming this purely at vehicle accident incidents.

Scenario: you'd been involved in a car accident (non-fault) and was (genuinely) injured and/or suffered some sort of financial loss. You report the incident to your insurance company (company 'A') as normal and as well as taking details of damage to your car they ask if you were injured, to which you confirm you had.

They then tell you someone from the department that deals with claims for injury and out-of-pocket expenses will contact you in a day or so to discuss taking it further.

A day or so later you get a call from a legal-sounding company (company 'b') asking for you by name and the person asks you to confirm Data Protection details (ie your name, postcode, date of birth etc) before revealing the nature of the call. Once this is done they explain they were passed details of the case from your insurance company and offer their services tell assist you in pursuing a claim.

Would you find yourself being cagey or suspicious at company b?

Comments

• Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    In my case I had legal protection as part of my cover so no.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't confirm any of those details but ask them to write to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    If it was a serious injury and not something like whiplash then you should contact a lawyer. Although you may be looking at a long long time to get things sorted, especially if it is going to involve a court case. Hope you are ok op.
  • Options
    euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the company that I dealt with following my accident in February were useless. They even told me that they couldn't do anything as the woman that I claimed against hadn't bothered reporting the accident to her insurance (therefore it didn't happen apparently). As soon as she got a letter from my solicitor and actually reported it, the other company were falling over themselves to help... >:(
  • Options
    TalizmanTalizman Posts: 2,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    If it was a serious injury and not something like whiplash then you should contact a lawyer.

In this scenario company B are a solicitor company, it's what the legal expenses cover (if included) in the policy pays for.