Options

McDonalds - Great Tastes of America

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Again, I think you're making excuses for McDonald's being lazy here in the UK. I think Angus Burgers would go down well over here along with products like McGriddles. We are not that different in tastes with Australia and the USA.

Our tastes are very different to the U.S.

I trust McDonalds marketing department know a touch more about this than you and I.
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our tastes are very different to the U.S.

I trust McDonalds marketing department know a touch more about this than you and I.

Are they? In what respect.

I'd expect that American chains wouldn't do well here then :rolleyes:
  • Options
    route 101route 101 Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Had the Arizona Nacho Grande today , was OK but couldnt taste the Pepperoni Slices but the Cheese had a strong flavour. Came in a Big Tasty box.

Classic at the Till though.

Customer : Is that the same burger as last week they look all the same?

Staff: Nope this is a new one and is completely different.

Customer : Oh ill take that then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are they? In what respect.

I'd expect that American chains wouldn't do well here then :rolleyes:

You only have to look at what is popular in the U.S. and not here. BBQ is the biggest example, plus there was the thread the other day that pointed out KFC don't sell fries in the U.S.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You only have to look at what is popular in the U.S. and not here. BBQ is the biggest example, plus there was the thread the other day that pointed out KFC don't sell fries in the U.S.

Firstly, BBQ is popular here....we just don't have the same form of BBQ heritage that the US has.

Secondly...the fact that KFC in the US sells potato wedges instead of fries, hardly makes our tastes "very different".

I don't pretend to be an expert in American cuisine, but as a few posters on here know, I spend quite a bit of time on the other side of the Atlantic with work. I've been in the US nearly 100 times in the last 5 or 6 years and I've visited 30 odd of the 50 states. The fact of the matter is, our tastes are pretty similar to theirs. Not identical, granted, but probably closer than most European countries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Firstly, BBQ is popular here....we just don't have the same form of BBQ heritage that the US has.

Secondly...the fact that KFC in the US sells potato wedges instead of fries, hardly makes our tastes "very different".

I don't pretend to be an expert in American cuisine, but as a few posters on here know, I spend quite a bit of time on the other side of the Atlantic with work. I've been in the US nearly 100 times in the last 5 or 6 years and I've visited 30 odd of the 50 states. The fact of the matter is, our tastes are pretty similar to theirs. Not identical, granted, but probably closer than most European countries.

It still comes back to the fact that McDonalds obviously think they will make more money by selling the same old burgers and they are probably right so who can blame them.

Plus there is a world of difference between us barbecuing a few burgers on a sunny day and American BBQ.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It still comes back to the fact that McDonalds obviously think they will make more money by selling the same old burgers and they are probably right so who can blame them.

Plus there is a world of difference between us barbecuing a few burgers on a sunny day and American BBQ.

Oh it definitely comes down to that, I was just saying that I think that the US tastes are quite similar to ours in may ways.

And yes, I know what American BBQ is....and it is growing in popularity in this country. I think it is very suited to our tastes and I'd be surprised if it didn't grow and grow over time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh it definitely comes down to that, I was just saying that I think that the US tastes are quite similar to ours in may ways.

And yes, I know what American BBQ is....and it is growing in popularity in this country. I think it is very suited to our tastes and I'd be surprised if it didn't grow and grow over time.

It is growing in popularity but you struggle to find proper BBQ outside London.
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point is though, is that we are talking about McDonalds from country to country.

It's not like they have pulled pork sandwiches in US Mcdonalds either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    The point is though, is that we are talking about McDonalds from country to country.

It's not like they have pulled pork sandwiches in US Mcdonalds either.

No they don't, but this is a pretty pointless argument. It suggests we know more about what would sell at McDonalds than they do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they don't, but this is a pretty pointless argument. It suggests we know more about what would sell at McDonalds than they do.

An argument that you started by implying US tastes were vastly different to the UK.

While I agree there might be some differences, I wouldn't say our food culture is vastly different to the US - if we were comparing it with Asian or African nations for example.

For the purposes of this thread, we are talking burgers. How much difference can there be? It's meat in a bun, with a few toppings, cheeses and sauces. I really don't see that the variety that people have indicated is available in the US wouldn't be popular here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    An argument that you started by implying US tastes were vastly different to the UK.

While I agree there might be some differences, I wouldn't say our food culture is vastly different to the US - if we were comparing it with Asian or African nations for example.

For the purposes of this thread, we are talking burgers. How much difference can there be? It's meat in a bun, with a few toppings, cheeses and sauces. I really don't see that the variety that people have indicated is available in the US wouldn't be popular here.

Ok, forget the differences with the U.S. You are still saying you know more about McDonalds customers needs than McDonalds aren't you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, forget the differences with the U.S. You are still saying you know more about McDonalds customers needs than McDonalds aren't you?

I don't think I have stated that as such, merely agreeing with others that some variety would be nice and there is a good chance it would be popular.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think I have stated that as such, merely agreeing with others that some variety would be nice and there is a good chance it would be popular.

But you understand the reasons McDonalds stick to what they know sells as well?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Decided to try the Arizona Grande as its not a too shabby burger but at Sauchiehall St Mcdonalds i asked for the Arizona only to be presented with the Chicago Supreme which isent any good . They didnt even say that they werent doing the Arizona . Oh well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you understand the reasons McDonalds stick to what they know sells as well?

I think everyone understands that, yes. The point (most) people are trying to make is that they think what they sell in the US would also sell well here. Nobody is saying McDonald's don't know what they're doing, they're quite clearly a very successful company who know exactly what they're doing....but an Angus 1/3 pound or a McGriddle would quite possibly go down a treat here too. The other thing (most) people are saying, is that the menu has grown pretty stale over the past few years and a few new, permanent, items would help to keep things fresh.

Why you can't seem to grasp that, without jumping to conclusions that we all think McD's here should be selling biscuits, grits and gravy for breakfast or creole Jambalaya for dinner, I don't know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think everyone understands that, yes. The point (most) people are trying to make is that they think what they sell in the US would also sell well here. Nobody is saying McDonald's don't know what they're doing, they're quite clearly a very successful company who know exactly what they're doing....but an Angus 1/3 pound or a McGriddle would quite possibly go down a treat here too. The other thing (most) people are saying, is that the menu has grown pretty stale over the past few years and a few new, permanent, items would help to keep things fresh.

Why you can't seem to grasp that, without jumping to conclusions that we all think McD's here should be selling biscuits, grits and gravy for breakfast or creole Jambalaya for dinner, I don't know.

I can grasp it fine. I would like more variety as well, but glad we both understand why they do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can grasp it fine. I would like more variety as well, but glad we both understand why they do it.

That's good....I'm glad we understand each other. I do, however, still disagree with your UK tastes being "very different" to US tastes assessment. Especially, as another poster pointed out, when you compare the cuisines to the rest of the world.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=route 101;58253577]Had the Arizona Nacho Grande today , was OK but couldnt taste the Pepperoni Slices but the Cheese had a strong flavour. Came in a Big Tasty box.

Customer : Oh ill take that then.[/QUOTE]

BIB agree with you .I couldnt even taste the nachos either-the only reason I got the burger!
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    I have to admit - I was going through the drive-thru yesterday and there was a poster advertising all 4 and they did all look the same - I think the only noticeable difference was one of them had nachos in it
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    They could not do a McD's angus here as that is what Burger King do so they must have a deal with Angus in the U.K so you can rule that out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    asyousay wrote: »
    They could not do a McD's angus here as that is what Burger King do so they must have a deal with Angus in the U.K so you can rule that out.

In Australia Hungry Jacks and McDonalds both do Angus burgers , see no reason here .
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »

They do Angus Burgers in BK US as well. Just because one place does them, it doesn't mean others can't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    [QUOTE=route 101;58253577]Had the Arizona Nacho Grande today , was OK but couldnt taste the Pepperoni Slices but the Cheese had a strong flavour. Came in a Big Tasty box.

Customer : Oh ill take that then.

BIB agree with you .I couldnt even taste the nachos either-the only reason I got the burger![/QUOTE]

Yesterday i asked for a Arizona Grande and was presented with a Chicago Supreme despite the Cashier not apologising and the Grill slip stating the Arizona . I then looked up and the signage above the till was showing the Chicago Supreme . I know its just a Burger :p
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    route 101 wrote: »
    In Australia Hungry Jacks and McDonalds both do Angus burgers , see no reason here .
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    They do Angus Burgers in BK US as well. Just because one place does them, it doesn't mean others can't.

Maybe because its a BK exclusive so why would they want another rival company doing the same burgers ?

Also throw in the fact that McDonalds is ££ cheaper than BK so i doubt they would want to put people off with £5 a burger.