Options

People first, God second. Should people put themselves above God?

Greatest_IamGreatest_Iam Posts: 678
Forum Member
✭✭
People first, God second. Should people put themselves above God?

Jesus put people above God and so should we. “Mark 2;27 And he said unto them, The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath: 28Therefore, the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

I think that the world would be a better place if people put their wants and needs as well as the wants and needs of other people above God’s.

I look at all the wealth that religions squander on themselves with huge churches and mosques, which are mostly empty, --- while many people still live in poverty and despair, --- and wonder if that wealth would be better spent on the poor. That would conform more to what Jesus taught us to do for the poor.

Governments seem to be of the same mindset as the religions as they spend lavishly on themselves while the poor go with their needs ignored.

I would think that religions would show the better mindset but that does not seem to be the case.

Before religions started thinking of God as a literal and real being, a more peaceful world, religiously speaking, home churches were the order of the day. Archeology has proven this. They were used as feeding stations for the poor and destitute and contributed more to the fellowship that people need more that the mega churches, temples and mosques that we have today.

Should we consider the benefits of the older ways and bring religion back into the homes where it’s expression and help for the poor can be better served?

Seems to me that the religious crave a personal relationship with their God, and that is best expressed from homes and not from the self-aggrandizing mega monstrosities and opulent churches and mosques that advertise their wasted wealth in our cities.

Does charity really begin at home, by putting people first and not God?

Regards
DL

Comments

• Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that anyone, OP included would even consider the needs and wants, albeit suggesting they should come second, of a man made supernatural deity, is unfathomable.
  • Options
    Greatest_IamGreatest_Iam Posts: 678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    The fact that anyone, OP included would even consider the needs and wants, albeit suggesting they should come second, of a man made supernatural deity, is unfathomable.

The logic trail is clear to those who can fathom with reason and logic.

If I fathom what you said correctly.

Regards
    DL
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Regards
    DL

That's me screwed then, because I thought he was calling you a numpty for even contemplating the needs of a *god*. :D
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.
    Jesus tells his followers the two greatest commandments.
    Love God.
    Love your neighbour, as thyself.
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As there is no god that's actively participating in society and speaking for itself, and it's all humans making claims about gods, there is no god to put above or below anyone. Just the humans using what they claim are the words of gods to try to get you to do what they say you should do.
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can you put something that doesn't exist before things that do exist. ?

And in any case, what needs could a non-existant imaginary thing have anyway??? :confused:
  • Options
    OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry what utter drivel and if that makes me a godless heathen so be it!

I believe in the mightly Cthulhu anyhow! :p
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying hard to remember exactly where in the bibble jesus said: ''you've got to pray all the time, so just ignore poor people .......... "'
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I never understood anyone who says they put God first even above their own family even more above their own kids.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.
    Jesus tells his followers the two greatest commandments.
    Love God.
    Love your neighbour, as thyself.

No thanks.

One child dying of cancer or starvation or one of the billions of animals eaten alive every day in the food chain proves what a heartless, sadistic and cruel being it would really have to be.

There is no God.

But there is still wonder amongst all the brutality.

'Tune your television to any channel it doesn't receive and about 1 percent of the dancing static you see is accounted for by this ancient remnant of the Big Bang. The next time you complain that there is nothing on, remember that you can always watch the birth of the universe.'

Bill Bryson - A Short History of Nearly Everything
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    I put myself before Batman and Homer Simpson and seeing that God is just as fictional as they are, yes, i do put myself first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Regards
    DL

So you're suggesting that the consideration of God is both reasonable and logical?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    I'm trying hard to remember exactly where in the bibble jesus said: ''you've got to pray all the time, so just ignore poor people .......... "'

I'm so hoping that the use of the word bibble was deliberate:D made me chuckle
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I'm so hoping that the use of the word bibble was deliberate:D made me chuckle

Try saying bibble in Rowan Atkinson style 😁.
    Really not sure wtf the OP is on about. Putting a non existence, made up fluffy cloud above REAL people and things that DO exist? REALLY???? WOW.
    What a load of f u c king nonsense. It's a cop out excuse for idiots living in the middle ages.
  • Options
    BwehBweh Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Yes because there is no god
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no God.

But there is still wonder amongst all the brutality.

'Tune your television to any channel it doesn't receive and about 1 percent of the dancing static you see is accounted for by this ancient remnant of the Big Bang. The next time you complain that there is nothing on, remember that you can always watch the birth of the universe.'

Bill Bryson - A Short History of Nearly Everything
    People intent on enjoying the partial remnants of the Big Bang in our Godless Universe need to be reminded to use the analogue tuner in their TV...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Try saying bibble in Rowan Atkinson style 😁.

That is exactly how it sounded in my head.

'Oh, our Italian cousins'

:D
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    People intent on enjoying the partial remnants of the Big Bang in our Godless Universe need to be reminded to use the analogue tuner in their TV...

Well to be fair the book was written in 2003.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    njp wrote: »

I feel deprived, my new TV doesn't have one:cry:
  • Options
    fastzombiefastzombie Posts: 10,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How you treat the least among you is how you treat me, or words to that effect.

That way of thinking suggests putting people first is putting God first IMO.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fastzombie wrote: »
    How you treat the least among you is how you treat me, or words to that effect.

That way of thinking suggests putting people first is putting God first IMO.

That makes sense, as everything is connected simply by all being in the same world.

People miss the hugeness of 'love thy neighbour as thyself' - due consideration for others makes the world a better place - and this includes not expecting others to drink your pollution or step on your dog's mess, all the way up to not foisting your nuclear fallout on other countries. It requires a degree of self-interest because there's no point if you make yourself incapable of anything.

And it doesn't need anyone to have religion. In modern language it does of course translate to the more familiar "Be excellent to each other".

As far as the opulence criticised by the OP, surely that's greed, and very much frowned upon by most religions?
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    I feel deprived, my new TV doesn't have one:cry:
    I wondered when that would happen. It's obviously a conspiracy to hide the Big Bang.

At least you can still get an audio hit of static from a VHF radio. For now.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a false question as it makes the assumption that there is a god when of course there isn't.
  • Options
    zackai48zackai48 Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without God there would be no people, so I think we should put Him first. Seems perfectly logical to me!
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole question is bollix on lots of levels; not least the fact that both scenarios occur and the world is still f****d. :D