Does anyone else feel that they are "over" soaps?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    I actually don't watch them much anymore but I do keep up with what's going on by reading spoiler's and recaps on here.
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    I used to watch Corrie, Eastenders and Neighbours religiously. When I was a student I'd watch Home and Away, Emmerdale and Hollyoaks too.
    Last year I realised I was spending more time shouting at Eastenders instead of watching it, something to do with those two blondes in the pub and that awful Max/Bradley/Stacey thing, so that got deleted off the planner. This year same thing happened with Corrie. There were a few episodes waiting on the planner and I realised I didn't want to watch any of them. So off they went too. Round about the Liam/Maria/Carla/baby dying thing.
    Then I realised that Neighbours went rubbish so I don't watch that either.
    For the first time in my life I don't watch a single soap and I don't miss any of them!

(PS I'm in this forum because I use View New Posts....honest.....)
  • DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    I'm slowly falling out of love with most soaps, but not the genre. I love what the genre can offer. There really isn't anything else like it, which can include several different genres into one - horror, thriller, action, comedy, romance, etc. But over the last several years, the quality of soaps have taken a nose dive; even when they're good, the momentum never lasts.

I love Neighbours, and EE, but my interest with the latter is slowly waning. Corrie, H&A and The Bold & the Beautiful, have all become chores (some more than others). I'm watching less and less episodes, sometimes missing out weeks worth of material. I've forced myself to watch H&A, purely for Ric & Mattie, but once that's over, my interest will be gone. Corrie is heading in that direction, too - It's not quite a chore, yet, but that's purely 'cause of Dev & Nina. As for B&B, well I only tune in when something big happens, and it's always a disappointment.

The longer they stay bad, the harder it'll be for me to care, when they do get good.
    I found last week's episodes of EE completely underwhelming. To me, they were clumsy and contrived. When I came on here and saw the level of praise on the episode threads, I thought... maybe it's time for me to stop watching :(
    I totally agree. I thought they were very clumsily written, with opportunities missed. They just all seemed so dumb. For example: Why have Dawn alone and miserable on her hen night, when she could've had Shabnam there, and contrasted her happiness with Jase's sorrow. Saving grace: Little Jay's awesome acting.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I gave up on soaps between 1993 and 2000. I started watching them all again, and have ever since until now where I have given up on Emmerdale completely. I am seriously thinking of giving up on Corrie too as I find I am watching it for the sake of it rather than enjoying it.

Its actually a great sense of release when you do stop watching.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=801737

So - Yes! I'm really enjoying Home and Away though, got back in to it after a 4/5 year hiatus about 6 months ago and am still finding it very watchable, it seems to have exciting storylines and 3-D characters and people don't die every two seconds.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed Friday's episode of Eastenders and Tuesday's episode of Hollyoaks. Hopefully my earlier wane in interest will go now christmas is coming.
  • umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At some point i used to watch all the soaps but now only a few.

Coronation Street: From 1996 - April2008. I just find it boring right now and have lost interest.

EadtEnders: 1995 - present. I just love the show and never miss it. Currently for me it's the best british soap. I know parts of 2005 & 06 were quite bad but last year it had quite a turnaround and is now at its best.

Emmerdale: 1996 - 1998, 2000 - 2006. It's had it's ups and downs, at one time i did find it quite enjoyable but then it just bacame to sensationalist and with some rubbish characters and awful cringeworthy plotlines. Totally gone off it.

Hollyaoks: 1996 - 1997, 2007 - present. Use to be quite awful and at times very ridiculous and laughable, however, the past year or so has had some very hard hitting storylines and very good characters that has made it very interesting and entertaining to watch.

Neighbours: 1993 - 1997, 2000 - 2005. I used to love the show and very much grew up with it. But i have to say the past 3 years or so the storylines just became more and more ridiculous and quite childish, also some terrible cast additions like the Timmins family etc. Totally fell out of love with it. And i hear it's just got a lot worse recently. What a shame hope it pulls through and make a turnaround.

Home and Away: 1994 - 1998, 2000 - present. I love the show and just feel like its gone from strength to strength. The characters and storylines have been great, and i feel like it's just so refreshing, interesting and entertaing to watch.

Therefore I would have to say my favourite 2 soaps are EastEnders and Home and Away.
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,211
    Forum Member
    I am pretty much over soaps. I haven't watched a whole ep of ee since before I went to Oz and that was well over 2 years ago. Emmerdale I haven't seen since e4 started showing first look hollyoaks so don't know how long that is.
    Neighbours, H&A I was watching both at oz pace off of youtube but cannot be bothered anymore I hate more characters than I like so it's pointless. Haven't watched in a month or two.
    Corrie I find that boring and they overuse Michelle who I don't like.
    Hollyoaks - I still catch and I will sometimes watch. But I'm on one of my off-stages with it.I've watched since the beginning so no doubt I'll like it again at some point. The best thing about digitalspy is I can come on and read up on eps don't need to watch them
  • Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ony Soap I have ever seen is EastEnders and the only Drama I have ever seen is Casualty. I love EastEnders as much as ever but uit's true that Casualty sometimes bores me though I still persevere in watching it in case something interesting happens and I miss out on it.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've fallen in and out of love a couple of times. Right now I'm only watching Eastenders, but had stopped watching that for a while earlier in the year. I used to watch Hollyoaks in phases, which I found helped to overcome the predictability of it, but I've not watched more than half an episode of that for about a year.

The rest just don't interest me. I blame too many episodes. Trying to keep up with them can become too much of a chore.

Even with EE I often record it and fast forward through the bits I'm not keen on, although to be fair, I've not done that so much lately.

I think I used to watch the soaps when there wasn't anything else on, but now I have a hard drive recorded I've always got something else available.