Options

Prisoners banned from receiving books

TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
Forum Member
✭✭
This is probably one of the worst ideas I have come across in relation to dealing with prisoners.

Books are a vital rehabilitation tool because they help prisoners to improve their knowledge and gain skills that will help them re-integrate into society when they are released. Preventing that is just going to increase their risk of re-offending.

Comments

• Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has been the case for years.

It's only Cat D and some Cat C prisons that allow books to be sent in for prisoners. Some governors allow it and some don't. They have their reasons - primarily related to security and good order & discipline. The rules are overall quite draconian. You can get books from the prison library.

Mostly if someone sends a book in for you it ends up in your box in the stores and you get to see it when you are released or sent to a prison with a more relaxed regime.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    This is probably one of the worst ideas I have come across in relation to dealing with prisoners.

Books are a vital rehabilitation tool because they help prisoners to improve their knowledge and gain skills that will help them re-integrate into society when they are released. Preventing that is just going to increase their risk of re-offending.

Depends on the book, really.

Agatha Christie might give them some ideas on how to not get caught the next time.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on the book, really.

Agatha Christie might give them some ideas on how to not get caught the next time.:D

Hmmm, not getting ideas for ingenious murders based on nursery rhymes might help.

I agree with the OP though. I'm not sure what is involved in the prison library service, but books surely tend to lead to peace and harmony. I doubt whether anyone has ever been stabbed with an impromptu knife over ownership of a book. .
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Given the sorts of thing that can be hidden in the spine of a book I can understand why they might not allow some prisoners to receive them as gifts through the post.

I suspect however that as has been mentioned they'll have access to the prison library, and possibly able to get books from an approved supplier or purchased via prison staff (IIRC the "games consoles" you see the papers making a fuss about are usually purchased by the Prisoners own money, but via a member of staff going to an Argos or similar and getting an approved model).
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    Given the sorts of thing that can be hidden in the spine of a book I can understand why they might not allow some prisoners to receive them as gifts through the post.

I suspect however that as has been mentioned they'll have access to the prison library, and possibly able to get books from an approved supplier or purchased via prison staff (IIRC the "games consoles" you see the papers making a fuss about are usually purchased by the Prisoners own money, but via a member of staff going to an Argos or similar and getting an approved model).

This is where the prison guards have to do their jobs and make sure that does not happen.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't they let them have book tokens or Amazon vouchers?
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Hmmm, not getting ideas for ingenious murders based on nursery rhymes might help.

I agree with the OP though. I'm not sure what is involved in the prison library service, but books surely tend to lead to peace and harmony. I doubt whether anyone has ever been stabbed with an impromptu knife over ownership of a book. .

You've never read any Dan Brown, have you?:p

Besides, the pen is mightier than the sword.

Or something.:blush:
  • Options
    Mad_Dog1Mad_Dog1 Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »

How are prisoners even earning money in the first place?
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    I find it really stupid. Im not even one for asking TV to be banned from prisons (mostly cause I figure what is the point getting annoyed that they can watch the BBC...it doesn't affect my life in reality). But how they could let TV be shown but deny the access of books, a vital tool for improving many skills and general outlook of ones self, is pretty stupid.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mad_Dog1 wrote: »

I don't know about others, but here's one I know: http://www.finecellwork.co.uk/shop
  • Options
    Uncle_PhilUncle_Phil Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Funny that books are banned, but a Bible is a human right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mad_Dog1 wrote: »

They have paid jobs in prison like cleaning or cooking that can earn them as much as £10 a week.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    This is where the prison guards have to do their jobs and make sure that does not happen.

You mean like rip the books completely apart?
    As that's the only way to make sure they haven't got something hidden in there, you can get very thin ceramic blades that won't show up with a metal detector...
    You'd need to run every single book past:

An x-ray machine - with qualified and experienced operator who is used to finding all sorts of contraband (good luck there, airports who have used such devices for decades and whose operators check tens of thousands of packages a day have, in random checks missed all sorts).

A metal detector with variable sensitivity (and possibly have it set off by anti theft tags).

Dogs who can check for various sorts of drugs (IIRC most drug dogs are trained to pick up on one or two families of drug).

Then the other checks...

Yeah, I suspect that restricting higher risk prisoners to books that have been brought in by the Prison is going to be far cheaper and more reliable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All might seem innocent - but the sender may have replaced text somewhere in the book with 'Nobby will be around the back with a rope ladder at half four on Tuesday".

You can't be too careful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as i'm aware all prisons have a library where Prisoners get access to books so it's not really that big a deal.
  • Options
    kareena46kareena46 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately it's the prisoners themselves, (or the friends outside) who are to blame for this. A plethora of things can be hidden in the hardback book cover, like drugs, razor blades etc.

I used to be in correspondence with a prisoner in a high security prison in the states, he could receive only paper back books because they are almost impossible to hide anything inside. Birthday cards are another thing that have to be torn apart by the guards.

I cannot imagine why our prisons will not allow paper backs, as another poster said, books are a major source of knowledge.
  • Options
    WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prison isn't supposed to be like a holiday camp.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WhiteFang wrote: »
    Prison isn't supposed to be like a holiday camp.

One thing I always look forward to when I go to Butlins is having my friends and family send me books to read.
  • Options
    WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Armi wrote: »
    One thing I always look forward to when I go to Butlins is having my friends and family send me books to read.

Hi di Hi. :)
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D Brilliant.

I assume this is the kind of literature that most appeals to our incarcerated friends:

http://a5.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Publication/5d/e6/6a/mzi.sjsnzsna.225x225-75.jpg
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All might seem innocent - but the sender may have replaced text somewhere in the book with 'Nobby will be around the back with a rope ladder at half four on Tuesday".

You can't be too careful.

I read that as Noddy.

Bloody Enid Blyton has a lot to answer for :o
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    :D Brilliant.

I assume this is the kind of literature that most appeals to our incarcerated friends:

http://a5.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Publication/5d/e6/6a/mzi.sjsnzsna.225x225-75.jpg

That reminds me of a time I really put my foot in it. I was around my friends house and her boyfriend was due in court in the morning facing possible jail time. I told him to relax and take his mind of it he should play this game I was hooked on called Jail Break. You know when the words are out of your mouth before you even realise ....
  • Options
    anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    As far as i'm aware all prisons have a library where Prisoners get access to books so it's not really that big a deal.

Have you ever been in a prison library? I'm guessing not by that comment.

They are woefully stocked and are usually accessible only for a couple of hours a week. Many will only see the inside of the library during induction.

They can order books - yes, but generally these will take ages to come; probably be the wrong ones and more often than not will have pages missing and/or be filthy.

The banning of books is part of a larger measure of stopping parcels in general. Contrary to claims, this is not to do with security but changes to the incentives and earned privileges scheme. Other stuff banned include birthday cards made by children for their parents in prison. It is vindictive and stupid.
  • Options
    anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kareena46 wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's the prisoners themselves, (or the friends outside) who are to blame for this. A plethora of things can be hidden in the hardback book cover, like drugs, razor blades etc.

I used to be in correspondence with a prisoner in a high security prison in the states, he could receive only paper back books because they are almost impossible to hide anything inside. Birthday cards are another thing that have to be torn apart by the guards.

I cannot imagine why our prisons will not allow paper backs, as another poster said, books are a major source of knowledge.

Of all the parcels sent to prison, how many are found to have contraband?

(Clue - it is miniscule).

The vast majority of prohibited items found in prison are likely there because of corrupt prison officers.