Options

I gave up my car today after 25 years of driving - in favour of public transport!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Almost everything you buy depreciates in value (apart from, hopefully, houses) but people only seem to worry about it when it comes to cars. This laptop isn't worth anything like what I paid for it but I don't consider that fall in value to be an annual cost. I always pay for my cars in cash and any resale money I can get from them when I decide to change my motor is then just a bonus.

I don't worry about the depreciation on my cars - we never buy new (although we could) - we buy decent cars that are 10+ years old. Husband is pretty car savvy so we've never really fallen foul. Example - we bought a 12 year old 530d BMW. Low mileage, immaculate bodywork, economical 50ish mpg, fsh for £3800 cash including a years tax and delivery (it was about 70 miles away). Also bought a Shogun at the same time for £4500 as second/my/fishing/tip run car. Same age, good order, a bit scruffier but it is a utility vehicle first and foremost. When we left the UK two years later, we sold the BMW for £2500 - £1300 depreciation for two years of many miles safe motoring is a bargain. We still have the Shogun for when we visit the UK. More expensive to run but a solid car which serves us well. If we hadn't left the UK, we would still be driving the BMW now too. We buys cheap cars and run them into the ground essentially, so depreciation is not a factor.

Whether its cheaper to use public transport is completely dependant on the miles you cover - we lived 130 miles away from our families so we travelled a lot at weekends. The only variable cost is fuel. And having independence and the ability to be spontaneous or act quick in emergencies is invaluable.

I now live in KSA, where I am not allowed to drive and I miss it terribly as there is no public transport here, only dodgy taxi drivers that try and feel you up. Although husbands loves it. Free car (5.4l V8 SUV) and 10p a litre for super unleaded. Jammy git.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do sometimes leave the car at home and take the bus to work instead.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I couldn't be without my car now, had to rely on public transport until I was 30. Always having to make sure I got the last train home otherwise it was a £50 cab ride home, going into London and having to get the train, then the tube, then walk to where ever we were going. Having to get the train or coach home the next morning after a night out in a hot smelly, sweaty club, trying not to fall asleep. Never knowing whether the train was going to be on time, being home 2 hours after I left work because I always miss the earlier train by 2 minutes. I would never be able to carry cat litter back from the supermarket or multi packs of 2 litre bottled water. I wouldn't be able to take the cat to the vet as there is no direct bus to the vets.

Instead I leave for work at 7am am in the office at 7.30, I leave at 4pm and am home by 4.30, I can go for a night out and know that I can leave when I want as I have my car, we can go into London and not worry about getting the last train or the 1st train home we can leave when we want and it doesn't matter if we are still in the clothes from the night before(it is also cheaper for the two of us to drive and pay for parking or find parking on the street), I can do a big shop when I want to and I can take the cat to the vet that has been the family vet for 20 years and not just the nearest one.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Nope was impossible to organise a diffrent time as my friends were down visiting family and this was the only slot they had for a meal and a film.

A taxi? Are you serious? The cost of that would be extortionate living where we do.
    I need to be in work by 8:30am daily, which is 23 miles away.
    The first bus goes from here at 9am.

As for sanctimonious whining about 'planning', go ahead.
    Perhaps I should also dispense with my washing machine because all I need do is 'plan' when I can devote two hours to washing everything by hand.
    Perhaps I should dispose of my internet connection, because all bills etc can come by post and I can 'plan' a trip to the reference library if I need some information.

Indeed if we all 'planned' we could all buy a pony and cart and even do away with buses and taxis in the end.

F*cking hell man. Calm down. I thought you could consider getting a taxi with your friends to the cinema, said cinema being 8 miles away. Now you are dropping getting to work into the equation, which is a regular thing, rather than an infrequent journey to the cinema.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Batanya wrote: »
    I'm guessing that, out of those 500 visits to London, you were probably accompanied by your mum for 400 of them.

You're right there, you are guessing.

Let's have a look at the facts.

My mum died in 1990 when I was 25.

She was with my father in Devon up to the point she died.

I wasn't living anywhere near London at the time. Devon, then shortly after that Plymouth.

I didn't move to the London area until late 1990.

I only started to visited London regularly after that time, i.e. after my mother had passed away.

The only other times I'd been with my mother to/through London was on the way to Germany/Switzerland, i.e. before 1990.

So, about a dozen times or so.
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    I don't worry about the depreciation on my cars - we never buy new (although we could) - we buy decent cars that are 10+ years old. Husband is pretty car savvy so we've never really fallen foul. Example - we bought a 12 year old 530d BMW. Low mileage, immaculate bodywork, economical 50ish mpg, fsh for £3800 cash including a years tax and delivery (it was about 70 miles away). Also bought a Shogun at the same time for £4500 as second/my/fishing/tip run car. Same age, good order, a bit scruffier but it is a utility vehicle first and foremost. When we left the UK two years later, we sold the BMW for £2500 - £1300 depreciation for two years of many miles safe motoring is a bargain. We still have the Shogun for when we visit the UK. More expensive to run but a solid car which serves us well. If we hadn't left the UK, we would still be driving the BMW now too. We buys cheap cars and run them into the ground essentially, so depreciation is not a factor.

Whether its cheaper to use public transport is completely dependant on the miles you cover - we lived 130 miles away from our families so we travelled a lot at weekends. The only variable cost is fuel. And having independence and the ability to be spontaneous or act quick in emergencies is invaluable.

I now live in KSA, where I am not allowed to drive and I miss it terribly as there is no public transport here, only dodgy taxi drivers that try and feel you up. Although husbands loves it. Free car (5.4l V8 SUV) and 10p a litre for super unleaded. Jammy git.

That's what KSA is surely all about for expats -namely Generous perks to try and compensate for living in a fairly grim oppressive country no one in their right mind would live in.Best of luck :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    That's what KSA is surely all about for expats -namely Generous perks to try and compensate for living in a fairly grim oppressive country no one in their right mind would live in.Best of luck :)

Yep. No one comes here for the lifestyle. But a six figure tax free salary plus perks does ease the pain. So will being mortgage free before we're 50.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    F*cking hell man. Calm down. I thought you could consider getting a taxi with your friends to the cinema, said cinema being 8 miles away. Now you are dropping getting to work into the equation, which is a regular thing, rather than an infrequent journey to the cinema.

I wasn't cross, but sorry if my post gave that impression.

To clarify, getting taxis often would be very expensive for where I live.
  • Options
    alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    Ok having read all these replies, I understand everyone has different circumstances and situations and public transport is not viable for them. It's working fine for me and it's been a month now :-)
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well in Deov public transport is being cut due to budget shortfalls. Not to worry we've been promised all communities will have at least one bus a week.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    I passed at 29 & have never looked back. I couldn't go back to public transport. Smelly, hot & sitting next to strangers. No thank you.

Why don't you like sitting next to strangers? Public transport isn't always smelly and hot anyway!
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In areas where there is excellent public transport I can see how many people living there would be tempted to use it, even if you have a car at home, avoids the hassle of driving in a rush hour, parking, etc etc.

However, in locations such as my part of wilts, because unless your lucky you do need a car to make life practical......and therefore most people have a car and use it. This means the buses get full up of life's drop outs, drunks, chavs, simply because this is the sort of people who have to rely on a bus (no matter how limited it is), everyone else is in cars.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    I passed at 29 & have never looked back. I couldn't go back to public transport. Smelly, hot & sitting next to strangers. No thank you.

Hot, one can safely discount, as most trains and coaches are air-conditioned these days.

HSTs for example have been air-conditioned from day one and they were first introduced in the 1970's.

Smelly. Yes possibly, but no worse than in any other enclosed space, I would imagine.

Sitting next to strangers. Why would that necessarily be a problem. Difficult to avoid if you travel by public transport, whether it be bus, train or air.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_43_%28HST%29

So, what public transport can get hot.

Many buses. Solution. Open a few windows.

Some London Underground services. Solution, travel at less busy times. Otherwise, you'll have to grin and bear it. TfL are working on it. Trains on the Circle, District, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines are air conditioned.

Trains which are not air conditioned. Solution is as for buses, open a few windows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Why don't you like sitting next to strangers? Public transport isn't always smelly and hot anyway!

You never know, you might meet somebody you like, get on with, on public transport, rather than being isolated in a car.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The air con fitted to the limited bus services around here (buses not coaches), is known as open windows. They are often freezing cold in the winter as well.
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I support people doing this.
    I was car-less to 30. And as a consequence I learnt to walk places all over the city where I am at.
    But had to learn to drive, lots of jobs require driving licenses. And the bus service just is not as quick as driving here. For instance, to get to a suburb to visit family takes 10mins by car. By bus, I have to get a bus to the centre, then a bus to the suburb. Time to get there 1- 1 .5 hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I support people doing this.
    I was car-less to 30. And as a consequence I learnt to walk places all over the city where I am at.
    But had to learn to drive, lots of jobs require driving licenses. And the bus service just is not as quick as driving here. For instance, to get to a suburb to visit family takes 10mins by car. By bus, I have to get a bus to the centre, then a bus to the suburb. Time to get there 1- 1 .5 hours.

If you don't have a car in the first place, you will tend to arrange your life and work taking the accessibility of public transport into account, so for example you wouldn't take a job unless you can get to it fairly easily on the bus or train. As I have found myself, what you don't have, you don't miss!

Of course a car may be essential if you live in a rural area or it's actually used in your work.
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not just rural locations, and car-based jobs. Also those with antisocial starting, or finishing times when public transport is no longer available.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not just rural locations, and car-based jobs. Also those with antisocial starting, or finishing times when public transport is no longer available.

This is covered by my point that if you didn't have a car by choice, you wouldn't take a job unless you can get to it fairly easily on the bus or train. (Or by foot or cycle!)
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Hot, one can safely discount, as most trains and coaches are air-conditioned these days.

Who has a coach as public transport? They're all bone-shaker old buses around here, and definitely no air con.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My shift at work has changed, and while I could get there by bus (+ a 25min walk) there would be no way to get home. The bus stops running when I finish work, but that last bus is a 25min walk away, so no chance of catching it.

I have seen several jobs (all different types) which have nothing to do with driving, but the advert says they are not on or near a bus route so job applicants must have own transport, so if u can't drive u r missing out on job opertunities. That's just how it is outside London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    My shift at work has changed, and while I could get there by bus (+ a 25min walk) there would be no way to get home. The bus stops running when I finish work, but that last bus is a 25min walk away, so no chance of catching it.

I have seen several jobs (all different types) which have nothing to do with driving, but the advert says they are not on or near a bus route so job applicants must have own transport. That's just how it is outside London.

Eh? There must be loads of jobs outside London which are reachable by public transport!
    Any city centre jobs for a start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Eh? There must be loads of jobs outside London which are reachable by public transport!
    Any city centre jobs for a start.

There are no cities around here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    There are no cities around here.

OK, but you did say outside London, not outside cities!
  • Options
    alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    Update: 6 weeks in and I can honestly say this is he best thing I've ever done, I'm fitter, have more money, and strangely I feel more liberated and free without a car, than with!