Options

'Thunderbirds' make Sci Fi Channel return

Imogen MImogen M Posts: 4,337
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Sci Fi Channel has acquired broadcast rights to Thunderbirds and two other classic Gerry Anderson series.

The channel has renewed its agreement with ITV Global Entertainment and BBC Two to show all 32 of the Supermarionation series' episodes as part of their primetime lineup from spring 2009. Anderson's Joe 90 and Stingray will also air alongside cult shows on Sci Fi such as Star Trek, Heroes and Angel.

In addition, Sunday, December 28 will see BBC Two air documentaries Stingray - The Reunion Party, the 60-minute All About Thunderbirds and popular episode 'Attack Of The Alligators' back-to-back.

ITV Global's Tobi de Graaf said: "We're delighted to be announcing the continuing deal with the Sci Fi Channel alongside the special event on the BBC this Christmas, which includes newly created TV content.

Thunderbirds is a hugely successful licence for ITV Global Entertainment and we’re confident it will continue to be as popular in 2009."

It's always good to see Thunderbirds on TV somewhere. It's a similar warming feeling of that when an old, old friend comes to visit. :)

I've loved Thunderbirds since I was younger, when it was screeened on BBC2 in the early 1990s and Blue Peter did a feature on how to make your own Tracy Island. I think the best episode is Terror In New York City but most episodes are very good one way or another. This was such a quality series with so much heart. CGI can't compare to models and puppets for me.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thunderbirds' make Sci Fi Channel return

I might be wrong here, but isn't Thunderbirds already being transmitted on the Sci-Fi channel?

If so how on earth could it be "returning"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might be wrong here, but isn't Thunderbirds already being transmitted on the Sci-Fi channel?

If so how on earth could it be "returning"

I don't have the Sci-Fi channel so I wouldn't know. I was just passing along the news DS are reporting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imogen M wrote: »
    I don't have the Sci-Fi channel so I wouldn't know. I was just passing along the news DS are reporting.

It wasn't a reference to you. It's more a dig at Digital Spy.

Apologies if it came across that way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No problem! :)
  • Options
    wombatofludhamwombatofludham Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered what DS were on about as well, as I definately watched two back to back episodes of Thunderbirds yesterday (forget the title of the first episode but it involved "The Sidewinder" being rescued from a burning pit, and the second episode was "The Perils of Penelope" where Her Ladyship is hung out to dry in a tunnel ready to be smashed to pulp by a high speed monorail. Cracking stuff!) Thunderbirds has been running for a while now during mid afternoon although I only dicovered it by accident as I don't normally watch the SciFi channel. Looks like they are the digitally remastered copies that BBC showed as well as there have been no flaws or cracks in the quality so far.

I wonder if the SciFi channel is making a thing of getting the rights to the three Gerry Anderson shows and will be restarting Thunderbirds from scratch?
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... with the rumours of Sci-fi HD arriving in the new year.... i wonder.....
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not unusual for DS to be slow with the news. After all, only a few days ago they posted this:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/a138894/bbc-brings-back-test-card-for-hd.html
    The Test Card had been broadcast on BBC HD for several weeks before this story was published.
  • Options
    ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is Thunderbirds has been running on Sci Fi since about the start of November so they are really slow with this story. I think they've got a few wires crossed on the story there. Thunderbirds is showing now on SciFi and the BBC (from Sunday 28th), not Spring 2009 but Joe 90 and Stingray join the line up on SciFi from the Spring. Both the All About Thunderbirds documentary and the Stingray compilation episode are the ones that were shown on BBC4 in March.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been on since before then.

I watched Thunderbirds on Sci Fi back in October when I was off ill.
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    The DS article also mentions that Stingray and Joe 90 will also be on Sci-Fi channel as well which will be good to see.
    I wonder if the BBC will be showing Thunderbirds in 2009. They are showing 2 Thunderbirds episodes next week in relation to the Thunderbirds documentary on BBC2 on Sunday 28th Dec 'All About Thunderbirds'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,392
    Forum Member
    Quite looking forward to Stingray coming back onscreen... loved that series, probably more so than Thunderbirds!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... with the rumours of Sci-fi HD arriving in the new year.... i wonder.....

Thunderbirds has been running on their HD channel during tests, looked nice and clean:)
  • Options
    ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a feeling it was on SciFi before November but that's when I first noticed it was back.
    STEVE 03 wrote: »
    The DS article also mentions that Stingray and Joe 90 will also be on Sci-Fi channel as well which will be good to see.
    I wonder if the BBC will be showing Thunderbirds in 2009. They are showing 2 Thunderbirds episodes next week in relation to the Thunderbirds documentary on BBC2 on Sunday 28th Dec 'All About Thunderbirds'.

According to the press release that went out Monday, "Thunderbirds is to get a new lease of life following deals to repeat the show on BBC2 and the Sci Fi channel starting this weekend, with a new range of merchandising to follow next year." I would have thought it's more than just the 2 planned. The new range of merchandise could be interesting.

Also January 1st sees a new dancing "Brains" advert for the Drench water brand being shown on tv. It's only 20 seconds long but it's quite funny.
  • Options
    bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,707
    Forum Member
    Yeah it has been on Sci-Fi for months now.
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Captain Scarlet & The Mysterons and Fireball XL-5 are my particular favourites.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sod 'Thundrbirds' bring back 'Terrahawks'
  • Options
    markelliottmarkelliott Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thunderbirds has definitely been on Sci Fi for a while now, I watched a few on there a few months ago. Will be great to see Stingray again as well. :)
  • Options
    dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think it might mean it has been re-licenced for 2009
  • Options
    wombatofludhamwombatofludham Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ToneXIR wrote: »
    "with a new range of merchandising to follow next year." .

Ooh, I wonder if they are re-making the wallpaper I had on my bedroom walls as a kid growing up in the 1960's?

I'm thinking of redecorating the lounge this year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARK7131 wrote: »
    Sod 'Thundrbirds' bring back 'Terrahawks'

Definitely. That or 'Star Fleet' !