Cybermen redesign pics

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe because it's just not cool to wear vacuum cleaner pipe around your head anymore? But I know what you mean. I'm hoping they release some concept art that might explain the design.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    It would be nice if the Cyber King (from The Next Doctor) could be mentioned as alien technology that fell from the sky and was adapted by the Mondasians.
    Personally I'd be very happy if the so-called "Cyber King" was never mentioned ever again anywhere!
    IMO it ruined what was up until then a very good episode.
    :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    They did have Cybus Logos but like I said they could not (at that point) afford to change them. They managed a small change (removal of the Logo) for AGMGTW.

Pretty sure it was stated (by Moffat I think) that they were meant to be Whoverse Cybermen and not Cybusmen (the skull in the helmet adds to this as well*).

*yes the Cybusmen did start doing conversions where the human body was mostly left intact when their resources ran low but the usual conversion was just a brain in a robotic body.

Iv'e got my own head-cannon, since it's never been said in any episodes, that the Cybermen in TPO-onwards are actually Cybusmen which broke through the void and built up their numbers and ships.

But these new designs look really cool, although I'd prefer it if the mouth was a bit thinner. Still, really looking forward this episode and hopefully it will address the Cybus/Cyber issude.
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They did have Cybus Logos but like I said they could not (at that point) afford to change them. They managed a small change (removal of the Logo) for AGMGTW.

Pretty sure it was stated (by Moffat I think) that they were meant to be Whoverse Cybermen and not Cybusmen (the skull in the helmet adds to this as well*).

*yes the Cybusmen did start doing conversions where the human body was mostly left intact when their resources ran low but the usual conversion was just a brain in a robotic body.
    They deliberately left it ambigious so that viewers could make their own minds about their origin.
  • stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still, really looking forward this episode and hopefully it will address the Cybus/Cyber issue.

It won't. For 99.9% of the audience a Cyberman is a Cyberman wherever it's from. Hell, most people won't even remember that they came from another universe since it hasn't been mentioned in years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stcoop wrote: »
    It won't. For 99.9% of the audience a Cyberman is a Cyberman wherever it's from. Hell, most people won't even remember that they came from another universe since it hasn't been mentioned in years.

You never know, even if it's just mentioned in passing, and Neil Gaiman seems pretty keen on Doctor Who continuity judging from TDW.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pics are great - the revamped Cybs look terrific.
    I especially like this picture...
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md4qwcOZ671qc9aego1_1280.jpg
    It so looks like the Cyberman on the end is checking his phone. "Hey lads, someone's leaked pictures of us to tumblr. Delete Delete Delete!"
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Excellent! [clenches fist in a camp manner]

It would be nice if the Cyber King (from The Next Doctor) could be mentioned as alien technology that fell from the sky and was adapted by the Mondasians.

I got the feeling that rather than having fallen from the sky, the Cyber King was pulled from Russell's .... well, never mind.

;). :o
    Forum Member
    Iv'e got my own head-cannon, since it's never been said in any episodes, that the Cybermen in TPO-onwards are actually Cybusmen which broke through the void and built up their numbers and ships.

But these new designs look really cool, although I'd prefer it if the mouth was a bit thinner. Still, really looking forward this episode and hopefully it will address the Cybus/Cyber issude.

You have a head-cannon? I should write to Moffat if I were you. Ready made villain for a future episode, no make up required!
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member

I'm sure if Moffat wanted it to be explicit that they are Mondas Cybermen in TPO then removing the Cybus logo would have been pretty inexpensive in terms of budget. As others have said I think it is left intentionally ambiguous in subsequent stories such as AGMGTW.
  • dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    You have a head-cannon? I should write to Moffat if I were you. Ready made villain for a future episode, no make up required!

Yeah the mouth looks a bit smiley. It could be creepy if utilised properly though. Imagine that sinister blank smiling metal face looming out of the rain at you on a dark night :D:D
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    They're okay, but I would prefer a design that was more reminiscent of the 80s Cybermen with a modern touch. These don't look all that different from the 2006 Cybermen to me, which isn't a bad thing, I would just rather the former on a purely personal level.

I'm glad to hear these Cybermen may be more silent in their movement however. No more silly clanging noises with every step they take. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whoops, that embarrassing! :D But yes, it's a lonely life when you can't face someone without them thinking you're going to blow their head off...

Soon the Universe shall pay! :mad:
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Personally I'd be very happy if the so-called "Cyber King" was never mentioned ever again anywhere!
    IMO it ruined what was up until then a very good episode.
    :)

That was my favourite part of the episode! :(

Loved it, excellent CG work.
  • Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All plastic pieces ready for easy moulding just like the Fisher Price Darleks.

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrching! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    All plastic piece ready for easy moulding just like the Fisher Price Darleks.

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrching! :rolleyes:

Yep! I'm inclined to say "so what?" In fact I will! So what? :D

The first wave of huge popularity for the show started with Dalekmania. All manner of toys and merchandise were shovelled out to kids up and down the land. The BBC loved it. Merchandise has always gone hand in hand with the show. Mechanoids, as I understand it, were conceived from the outset as a merchandising opportunity. They weren't a huge success. The Fisher Price Daleks weren't a winner in the market place either.

But Doctor Who has always had one grubby hand in the till, I'm afraid. Predating George Lucas and his toys by more than a decade.

As long as they look good on screen and have a good story I'll be happy. And even if they don't look good on screen I'll probably be happy too (boy, that Giant Clam attacking Harry was good, wasn't it? Terrifying! :eek: :o)
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope the episode still features the previous design for continuity purposes.
    Forum Member
    Yep! I'm inclined to say "so what?" In fact I will! So what? :D

The first wave of huge popularity for the show started with Dalekmania. All manner of toys and merchandise were shovelled out to kids up and down the land. The BBC loved it. Merchandise has always gone hand in hand with the show. Mechanoids, as I understand it, were conceived from the outset as a merchandising opportunity. They weren't a huge success. The Fisher Price Daleks weren't a winner in the market place either.

But Doctor Who has always had one grubby hand in the till, I'm afraid. Predating George Lucas and his toys by more than a decade.

As long as they look good on screen and have a good story I'll be happy. And even if they don't look good on screen I'll probably be happy too (boy, that Giant Clam attacking Harry was good, wasn't it? Terrifying! :eek: :o)

I agree, and I think they've learnt their lesson from VOTD too, ie if you're going to remodel an existing foe for the sole purpose of greater merchandise sales, its probably best to get someone like Neil Gaiman to write the episode so the fans will love it anyway....

It's the same reason the Doctor suddenly sprouted a coat in series 6 (that he hasn't worn since) or a new look in the Christmas special (that probably won't follow on to the rest of the series proper...) and why Amy sported glasses in her finale too....
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member
    [Snip]and why Amy sported glasses in her finale too....

Nope. That was to show clearly how much older Amy was by then...
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    Nope. That was to show clearly how much older Amy was by then...

Yeah well, little from column a, little from column b I think ;)
    Forum Member
    I agree, and I think they've learnt their lesson from VOTD too, ie if you're going to remodel an existing foe for the sole purpose of greater merchandise sales, its probably best to get someone like Neil Gaiman to write the episode so the fans will love it anyway....

It's the same reason the Doctor suddenly sprouted a coat in series 6 (that he hasn't worn since) or a new look in the Christmas special (that probably won't follow on to the rest of the series proper...) and why Amy sported glasses in her finale too....

I thought Victory was pretty excellent. I.didn't like the bomb defused by love thing, and it could have done with being two parts for various reasons. But it was a cracking episode. The only thing that failed about selling the new dalek design to the audience was that the new dalek design was not very good and the audience didn't take to it.

At the time some forum members got very upset with people who said they didn't like the new dalek design. At least one person said that the only people who didn't like them were ming mongs and another said that the general audience either had no opinion or liked them and that forum members should therefore not criticise the new dalek design.

Well, of course whether you like them or not is entirely a matter of opinion and your own business. Whether the BBC considered it a resounding success, on the other hand, can probably be measured by the prominence given to them in Asylum. For a new class that were supposed to have utterly destroyed all previous types , they were a little bit in the background and heavily outnumbered. Possibly it wasn't only just a tiny number of forum ming mongs who disliked them after all. Just a wild guess.

So even if Victory was a poor script (and some people think it was), if the new daleks had been good and welcomed by the toy buying public, they'd have been the only type you would have seen in the Parliament spaceship. In fact, the whole concept of an asylum planet of old daleks might not even have come about.

I thought Asylum was one of the cleverest "Get Out of Jail" wheezes ever. Brilliant way of sidestepping the whole thing. The stone dalek in The Big Bang was also a very good idea.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member
    Despite the fact that I quite liked the new Daleks, I have to agree with your analysis of AotD, nebo.

Unless there's more to be revealed in a future Dalek story. Perhaps a Dalek (un)civil war.
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    Despite the fact that I quite liked the new Daleks, I have to agree with your analysis of AotD, nebo.

Unless there's more to be revealed in a future Dalek story. Perhaps a Dalek (un)civil war.

I must admit I didn't like them. But as with certain other discussions, it is possible to look at things from the point of view of the apparant facts and likelihoods without letting personal subjective opinion get in the way. If Asylum had been chock full of new Paradigm daleks , I'd have happily conceded they were a clear success despite my personal dislike.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Don't forget the tweaked paradigm daleks in Asylum nebo, the Supreme has had work done, with a straighter back, no "fins" either which enhance the look and improve it IMO. And also to the poster who hopes the old Cybers make an appearance in episode 12 with these ones "for continuity purposes"... where have you been for the past 46 years? There is no need continuity wise for old and new cybes to appear together. We all know what they are :)
  • nyingynyingy Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, it's the scripts that matter most: the look is relatively inconsequential. However, with that said,I'm a little disappointed the redesign isn't more radical.

I think Cybermen that draw more heavily on the design used in The Tenth Planet might provide potential for some proper scares. There's something genuinely creepy about the original Cybermen!

nyingy