Options

Just found out my cat has been killed

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear that, RIP Chum Chum. Your kitten will need extra loving and cuddles now as she'll be missing her 'Mum'. So sad to hear stories like this. :cry:
  • Options
    gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear that, I lost my kitten Smudge just under two months ago when she was hit and killed outright. I was very raw for a few weeka but it is true things a get little easier as the days then weeks pass.

My older cat though is still acting very strange. She never got on with the kitten so I'm not sure why. Not sure what I can do with her!
  • Options
    Mrs DoodlesMrs Doodles Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your cat OP we have 4 cats and i cant imagine how id feel if it happened to one of ours :(

At least the driver came and told you not many do :(
  • Options
    Malice CooperMalice Cooper Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B3aten wrote: »
    I'm sorry Craig. It is a big shock, especially after nursing her to health.

It would be easy to turn your feelings against the driver that accidentally ran her over, but you haven't. You have to mourn her but not having the weight of anger against someone else for an accident will most likely make it easier on you and your partner.

Give it a few months and have a chat with the Cat Protection League or one of the other cat care trusts and think about having another. My Jake died earlier in the year suddenly and we had two kittens a few months afterwards. There was a thread started a few days ago about reincarnation, and I can see so much of Jake in one of the kittens.

Good luck!

I can't add any more to that. Very good advice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    When there are two cats who have a close relationship and one is killed or dies naturally, the best thing to do for the remaining cat is to show it the body. They have a little sniff and look and acknowledge the loss of their friend. It makes it easier for them to accept that they are gone and means they don't constantly look for them.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    I'm so sorry to hear this, Chum Chum :(
  • Options
    gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    tinkersmum wrote: »
    When there are two cats who have a close relationship and one is killed or dies naturally, the best thing to do for the remaining cat is to show it the body. They have a little sniff and look and acknowledge the loss of their friend. It makes it easier for them to accept that they are gone and means they don't constantly look for them.:(

Oh dear, bit late for me now!

I am sure my other cat saw the other one being run over, it's all I can think off to explain her behaviour. When she is indoors, 95% of the time she balances on a banister on the landing, or on the edge of the bath. If we go up to her, she jumps up and clings for dear life on either shoulder (so she is vertical as we are) and we have to support her rear! She is eating still and going out a bit so it's not that she's unwell, but her behaviour is certainly not normal.

Not sure what to do, I can't see how a vet can help. I've heard of something you can plug in a wall and it releases a calming scent for cats (think we can't smell it). Wondering whether to try that.
  • Options
    topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear that my cat got run over and I was very upset so I know how you feel. They are like members of the family.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is always hard especially when it is so sudden and unexpected. But there is a poem called the Rainbow Bridge that I always take comfort from.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    I'm so sorry :( the same happened to my 2 year old Cat, 3 years ago. He went missing on the Friday. Me and my mother went searching for him the whole weekend, and called the counsil on the Monday. Turned out they had picked him up (dead) at around 5am on the Friday morning. It an awful thing to happen, So sorry.
  • Options
    123stew123stew Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Angel Star wrote: »
    I'm so sorry to hear this, Chum Chum :(

thanks for the words:):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chessie wrote: »
    So sorry to hear that, RIP Chum Chum. Your kitten will need extra loving and cuddles now as she'll be missing her 'Mum'. So sad to hear stories like this. :cry:

thanks for the words, i get there i know, but very sad, but its early days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,579
    Forum Member
    I am so. so sorry for your loss of Chum Chum. My thoughts are with you. xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gamercraig wrote: »
    Not sure why I am posting on here, but I am so upset!

We came home from work and wondered where our younger cat was. Five minutes later there was a knock at the door and it turns out she was hit and killed instantly this morning.

I don't blame the driver, it happened to me once, they dart out so fast you don't stand a chance of stopping.

The woman had kept her for me, she was curled up in ball, like she always used to sit on our knee.

We can't have children so it has hit me hard. We only got her last year when she was 2 months old. She became ill very soon after and we nursed her back to full health which was a nice achievement

i think the reason you post on her is the same as me and many others who have lost there pet, we loved them they were a part of the family, we looked after them, i do feel very sorry for you, I also am very upset at the loss of my cat she was run over xmas eve, its now new years day and i am still so sad.
    Perhaps it my be an idear to get another cat i want to, but my wife is not so keen we have to see.
    take care, oh what was your cats name mine was chummy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zigesa wrote: »
    I am so. so sorry for your loss of Chum Chum. My thoughts are with you. xx

thank you so much.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,579
    Forum Member
    123stew wrote: »
    i think the reason you post on her is the same as me and many others who have lost there pet, we loved them they were a part of the family, we looked after them, i do feel very sorry for you, I also am very upset at the loss of my cat she was run over xmas eve, its now new years day and i am still so sad.
    Perhaps it my be an idear to get another cat i want to, but my wife is not so keen we have to see.
    take care, oh what was your cats name mine was chummy.

I can well imagine that you are still very sad. I lost my Percy 3 months ago. He was 14 and I had to have him put to sleep. I still cry now when I think about that day. Anyway, you saying about getting another one. We went to the RSPCA and picked out a beautiful approx 1 yr old female, who bless her heart had already had 4 kittens and came from a home with 6 other cats. She IMO deserved a new home. she is the most special and wonderful cat. Affectionate, loving and really sweet. I feel that although I loved Percy dearly, and by god I still do, his going allowed us to give a lovely, loving home to a cat who didn't have a home. We had so much love to give that it felt like the right thing to do. There are so many homeless cats just hoping to one day find a loving home again. I felt sorry for everyone that I left behind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,550
    Forum Member
    When I was a child I adopted a lost kitten that one of my playmates found wandering about on its own outside our primary school.

The kitten was tiny. I decided I wanted to keep it. The teachers allowed me and my schoolfriends to walk home to my house. My dad was just in from work so I handed him the kitten and ran back to school with my mates.

I rushed home after school and found that my dad had put the kitten in a cardboard box lined with newspaper and a bowl of milk and ........ Jacobs cream crackers!:eek:

I couldn't believe it and me and my brother and sister were doubled over with laughter that our dad expected a baby kitten to eat cream crackers.

The cat grew up and became my best friend in my childhood.

One day the cat didn't come home and I was gutted as I thought the worst. :(

However he turned up (locked in the coal shed :rolleyes:)

So I was over the moon.

But a couple of years after he went missing and I never saw him again.

I am sitting here and my eyes have tears in them as I can still feel that loss all these years later. I never knew what happened to Fluff.

I am glad you can bury her and have good memories. :)
  • Options
    Mel1314Mel1314 Posts: 2,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really sorry to hear about these stories. I had to have my cat put down a few years ago (when he was aged 4) and it was horrible. I knew the owner of my cat's mother so knew my cat right from when he was born.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its will soon be one year since chum chum died and i still miss her, i know i still have the kitten well she a cat now, but i still miss chum. I often look at th spot where i buried her, sad feelings which i know will get better
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry xxx... I'm dreading anything happening to my cats. I know I'll be crying for a long time.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cat Poem

They will not go quietly,
    the cats who've shared our lives.
    In subtle ways they let us know
    their spirit still survives.

Old habits still make us think
    we hear a meow at the door.
    Or step back when we drop
    a tasty morsel on the floor.

Our feet still go around the place
    the food dish used to be,
    And, sometimes, coming home at night,
    we miss them terribly.

And although time may bring new friends
    and a new food dish to fill,
    That one place in our hearts
    belongs to them. . . and always will.

- Linda Barnes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am very sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you.