Options

where to buy an iphone?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,236
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Where is the best place to buy an iphone apple, o2, or CPW.
I will be buying a o2 PAYG iphone and putting in my own o2sim.

Is there any advantages or disadvatages from each store. All are easy for me to get to. I see apple store 'active' the phone for you, as I am not planing to ever use the iphone PAYG sim would this be a disadvantag??

many thanks

Comments

• Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    ^ post not appearing
  • Options
    fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    if you use the iphone sim then you automatically get the unlimited web and wifi for a year
    otherwise you will prob need to call o2 to say you now have a iphone
  • Options
    markrdukmarkrduk Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't make a massive difference really. You're getting the same product. There would be no disadvantage to activating the sim (I'm not sure if it is possible to not activate it to be honest).

The sim will come with 12 months free web (worth £120) so it could be worth reconsidering you options unless you're currently tied into a contract with o2. In which case it could be worth hanging fire til June/July when the new model will be out and trying to get it on an upgrade.

If you're on pay as you go at the moment, you would probably have to change your number, but wouldn't you suffer the small inconvenience to save £120?

Of course if you don't want the internet then it doesn't really matter, but this is an iPhone - it's all about the internet!
  • Options
    simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you'll probably actually struggle to get a PAYG iPhone from O2 or Carphonewarehouse anyway as they seem to be trying to keep their stock for contract customers at the moment, so Apple may be the only way for you to get an O2 PAYG iPhone. That said Apple would be my first choice anyway - either in person at a store (if you have one close), or online from their website (delivery will be free). If getting it online you can get 3.5% cashback too if you go via topcashback.co.uk or quidco.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    simon69c wrote: »
    Well you'll probably actually struggle to get a PAYG iPhone from O2 or Carphonewarehouse anyway as they seem to be trying to keep their stock for contract customers at the moment, so Apple may be the only way for you to get an O2 PAYG iPhone. That said Apple would be my first choice anyway - either in person at a store (if you have one close), or online from their website (delivery will be free). If getting it online you can get 3.5% cashback too if you go via topcashback.co.uk or quidco.

Lol I got mine from O2 2 weeks ago no problem
  • Options
    ZincubusZincubus Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco ... seriously !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkle_18 wrote: »
    Lol I got mine from O2 2 weeks ago no problem
    Guess you were lucky! Lots of O2 shops refuse to sell them on PAYG and claim they only have stock for contracts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is the best place to buy an iphone apple, o2, or CPW.
    I will be buying a o2 PAYG iphone and putting in my own o2sim.

Is there any advantages or disadvatages from each store. All are easy for me to get to. I see apple store 'active' the phone for you, as I am not planing to ever use the iphone PAYG sim would this be a disadvantag??

many thanks

you could activate the sim then get o2 to move your number from your old sim to the new 1

then hopefully you will get the 12 months free web+ wifi bolt-on
  • Options
    steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    £500 sim free / factory unlocked from ebay - using three payg (free 150mb per £5 top up / free 600texts per £10 topup (valid for 3months from top up)

I think the cheapest way is to go to quidco.com-tesco.com - £10 off first order + £20 free airtime (i think). tesco use o2 so pretty much same
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveOooo wrote: »
    £500 sim free / factory unlocked from ebay - using three payg (free 150mb per £5 top up / free 600texts per £10 topup (valid for 3months from top up)
    Absolutely no point paying that much for a SIM Free / Factory Unlocked iPhone from ebay when you can just get a brand new O2 PAYG iPhone (£449) and get it officially unlocked straight away for £15 - you end up with exactly the same thing except you get a brand new and fully warranty-supported iPhone rather than whatever you would have got from ebay. As mentioned earlier you can also get about £15 cashback if you get it from the Apple site via quidco or topcashback which covers the cost of the unlock.

Not sure if you can get a Tesco-supplied iPhone officially unlocked by O2 or not (you would need an O2 SIM in any case). Officially they will only unlock O2-supplied iPhones, but not sure if they would necessarily know the difference as Tesco iPhones are simply locked to O2 anyway.
  • Options
    James VertiganJames Vertigan Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking at buying an Iphone 3GS 16GB on an O2 contract soon (currently an O2 PAYG customer) I was going to buy it from an O2 store rather than somewhere like Carphone Warehouse, but a friend of mine said I should get it from the Apple store as they don't work for commission.
  • Options
    pennbankpennbank Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Just bought 16Gb 3GS Black from Orange store to replace lost 2G version. £440 PAYG