The weeping Angels....

Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
Forum Member
✭✭
Apologies if this had already been cleared up, but I was watching David Tennant's final episode The end of time again, and at the end, two of the time lords are covering their faces like a weeping Angel...Also the Weeping angels were mentioned by the Lord president...

Was this ever explained? Or has it just been forgotten?

Or have I just misunderstood the whole thing, very plausible...:D

Comments

• PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we still don't know the origin of the Weeping Angels and seeing as their main power is to send people back through time... wouldn't it be great if they're Time Lords/Ladies to whom something happened? :D
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    Well we still don't know the origin of the Weeping Angels and seeing as their main power is to send people back through time... wouldn't it be great if they're Time Lords/Ladies to whom something happened? :D

The thing is Moffat first wrote them in and RTD wrote the episode in question.

So it seems strange in his finale he would bring up anything to do with them.
  • LiquidizerLiquidizer Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I think the actual quote was they will "stand as monuments to their shame, as did the Weeping Angels of old". IIRC, there was never an actual explanation given but a few theories popped up, like suggesting being a Weeping Angel was a punishment by the Time Lords.
  • MediaMattersMediaMatters Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    :) Good question, but I think it was explained that Rassilon punished the naysayers - only 2 votes - in the High Council for voting against the plan to bring Gallifrey from the Time War through the Immortality Gate. So he suspended them in time as Weeping Angels (I reckon the Time Lords could do that since the angels are creatures that feed off time energy) & it was possibly inferred (though never actually confirmed :confused:) that they were the Doctor's own parents/or maybe relatives of some sort... :eek:
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was supposed to be a punishment/sign of shame that they covered their faces like the Weeping Angels, because they had voted against Rassilon. (Not much of a punishment, though I suppose they'd trip up a lot if they couldn't see where they were going).

In reality a plot device so that we couldn't see that one of them was The Woman in White/ The Doctor's mum/whoever, until the right dramatic moment.
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was supposed to be a punishment/sign of shame that they covered their faces like the Weeping Angels, because they had voted against Rassilon. (Not much of a punishment, though I suppose they'd trip up a lot if they couldn't see where they were going).

In reality a plot device so that we couldn't see that one of them was The Woman in White/ The Doctor's mum/whoever, until the right dramatic moment.

Ahhh yes this makes sense....

Thanks.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen Moffat didn't invent Weeping Angel iconography, he only invented them as a Doctor Who 'monster'.

It is an image that goes back hundreds of years. My girlfriend actually wrote an essay about them long before she ever watched Doctor Who.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I feel that the Weeping Angels truly deserve a story of their own at some point in future. They've been compromised in some shape or form in every appearance they've made.

Blink was a brilliant introduction for them and the episode is fine in and of itself. But the lack of The Doctor makes it somewhat of a novelty episode - only in the best sense of the term of course, but all the same it's remembered for Sally Sparrow as much as it for the angels.

The Time of Angels / Flesh and Stone looked set to get it all right. There was a nice balance between their reintroduction and the return of River Song in the first half but this was unfortunately not replicated in the second part, and the angels got shifted for the 'crack in the wall' story. A refreshing story arc decision, perhaps, but it prevented it from being the angels breakthrough blockbuster hit.

The God Complex, obviously not a serious contender but the cameo from the angels helped establish their continued threat and presence. They were capable of big things, on par with the Daleks, the Cybermen and The Master...

The Angels Take Manhattan was not only rushed in and of itself, it was also rightfully occupied with the send-off of Amy and Rory. Chucking in River Song as well and there was barely any space left for the angels to make the proper mark they could be making. Again, the mid-series finale was a perfect spot to showcase them as a massive threat but the episode only teased their capabilities.

If Moffat can bring back the 2-part finales... it'd be great to see them get a finale story. Maybe even Moffat's final contribution - the finale to Series 8 or maybe Series 9. Establish a two-parter where the main characters are splintered across eras of time...it'd offer a chance for some epic finale abroad-filming opportunities, it'd give Moffat the chance to go all timey-wimey, and he could play it as a proper horror if he wanted. I do think a two-part conclusion exploring a hypothetical back story for the angels could be explored... maybe their relationship with the Timelords, or bits and pieces about their origins. :D No matter what, a story for the angels and about the angels is surely due in a series or two... they've always had to be compromised because they're thrown in with the most ambitious episodes, in an attempt to make them even grander.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    I love the Weeping Angels but I actually think they have been overused since their introduction, which has slightly demeaned their absolutely amazing first episode. I'd be quite happy not to see them for a while and don't really need an origin story - it's a big universe, with lots of species. They are also pretty convoluted to defeat meaning you tend to get a weak ending to the episode - except in Blink, which was perfect.

The Ood on the other hand - we need more Ood. You just never know what you're going to get with an Ood.
  • Demolished ManDemolished Man Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Stephen Moffat didn't invent Weeping Angel iconography, he only invented them as a Doctor Who 'monster'.

It is an image that goes back hundreds of years. My girlfriend actually wrote an essay about them long before she ever watched Doctor Who.

Interestingly, the actual 'weeping angel' pose with the two hands in front of the face doesn't appear to exist in actual statues, the closest there is seems to be a Patrick Stewart style facepalm or a hands clasped together praying type pose, as Steven Moffatt mentions in this month's DWM.

I can distinctly remember seeing one in 'The Bride of Frankenstein', though... but checking it reveals that I'm wrong, it's a praying angel. Hmm.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I allways thought the woman was his mum and the man was probably his brother.
    Weeping angels are scary so would like to see them again one day.
    In a weird way they did the pond family a mercy. By taking Rory and Amy back in time they restored the natural order. Children are suppose to bury and outlive their parents not the other way around.