Options

MP4 novice

What is the difference between an MP4 player and a personal/portable media player? I am totally new to all this so I need to start from scratch. Soon I would like to invest in one of these but prices do seem to vary. MP4 players can be cheaper than PMPs. I don't need a huge amount of memory and I am more interested in video and radio than listening to lots of music. I would like internet capabilities but that is not vital. What is important is that it should be easy. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well you will need quite a bit of memory if you want lots of videos.

I am new to all this too and the MP3 player i am getting (See the Samsung thread) uses funny file formats and it will be a hassle to sort them out for me i think.

You can get cheapy MP4 players with 2GB memory for about £50 and most have an SD card slow in them so you could buy an 8GB card for another £40. 10GB is quite a bit of video (About 7 hours)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    MP4 players tend to be (note 'tend to' .... not always though) MP3 players with video bolted on. They tend to be physically smaller devices, with a smaller screen. They also tend to play a more limited range of video file formats ..... usually MP4 (hence the name).

PMP's tend to be bigger devices with a higher spec and much more geared towards video.

Examples of both:

MP4 players

iPod classic
    Sony NWA-808
    Creative Zen

PMP's

Archos AV5/6/7 series
    Cowon A2/A3
    Creative Zen Vision:W

And of course there are few that fall somewhere in the middle.

For my money ....

Creative Zen Vision:M is not a full on PMP as it has a small screen but does support an excellent range of video formats.

iPod Touch. Although it looks like a PMP and has the screen of a PMP, it doesn't support a wide enough range of video formats for me and (apart from the new, hideously expensive, 32gb model) is a bit short on storage for a PMP.