Scottish independence: let's have an honest debate (P2)

Comments

• delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you actually enlarge the photo and just try and count the people in the foreground you would soon realise that there's probably 2000 there.
    that's what i said

As someone who actually attended the event I can assure you that there was a lot more than 2000 there.

Are you so blind on Yes that you cannot even believe your own eyes when the evidence is in front of you?

based on photographic evidence, was the attendance closer to 2000 or 35,000?

i'd love to see a photo showing more people, if any exist.
  • Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »
    It was 700 years since Bannockburn so it was a special event that wouldn't normally happen. It was a defining moment in Scottish history and that is the reasons for the celebration. It's similar to celebrating the end of other great wars where the people of that country have been victorious over forces which aimed to destroy them. We're very comfortable with celebrating other major victories like VE and VJ day and Bannockburn was the greatest victory in the history of the people of Scotland. However as a Scot, if we do have our own independent armed forces eventually, I would be unhappy if there were huge crowds turning out to support an Armed Forces Day. The things that are great about Scotland or the UK are nothing to do with military might. The need for armed forces is caused by mans on inhumanity and it's not something I feel comfortable celebrating.

Armed forces day was a great day that I entirely feel comfortable supporting along with the 30000 other Scots who took the time to appreciate some the men and women of Scotland who serve our country and have fought for your ability to hold your views.

I don't believe we can have a democracy without the means to defend it. I'm sure the Bruce didn't petition the English to leave Scotland in 1314.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    based on photographic evidence, was the attendance closer to 2000 or 35,000?

Based on being there I know there were tens of thousands there. However, continue to deny it if you wish as it makes you look a wee bit foolish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    Any reason we should take your word for it? No disrespect but as the #1 poster on this thread with your agenda being so clear why should you be considered more trustworthy? Why should we not see you as being a equally blind on No?

Count the folk in the photo then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Based on being there I know there were tens of thousands there. However, continue to deny it if you wish as it makes you look a wee bit foolish.

there must have been 20,000+ camera phones there then

where are all the pictures of massive crowds?
    http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/almosrnobody.jpg

if that entire triangle had been filled, THAT would have been 35,000
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Count the folk in the photo then.

Eh no. That is not how it works- you made the claim so you prove it. :p
  • anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    Armed forces day was a great day that I entirely feel comfortable supporting along with the 30000 other Scots who took the time to appreciate some the men and women of Scotland who serve our country and have fought for your ability to hold your views.

There weren't 30,000 other Scots there but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Each to their own.
    I don't believe we can have a democracy without the means to defend it. I'm sure the Bruce didn't petition the English to leave Scotland in 1314.

You're absolutely right. Celebrating the armed forces isn't my cup of tea but a society is made up of all different types.
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Pacific Quay protest went well.. Glad to see so many turnout
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    http://www.scotsman.com/what-s-on/thousands-attend-stirling-armed-forces-celebration-1-3459946

A figure of 30,000+ is being widely reported across all news media both north and south of the border.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Millie Cat wrote: »
    http://www.scotsman.com/what-s-on/thousands-attend-stirling-armed-forces-celebration-1-3459946

A figure of 30,000+ is being widely reported across all news media both north and south of the border.

yep.

you have to ask yourself how the lie started and why it's being repeated without any fact checking.
    Forum Member
    yep.

you have to ask yourself how the lie started and why it's being repeated without any fact checking.

You also have to ask does it really matter? Most folk aren't interested one way or the other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There weren't 30,000 other Scots there but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Each to their own.

You're absolutely right. Celebrating the armed forces isn't my cup of tea but a society is made up of all different types.

I'm sure there were many thousands of fellow Scots there, probably more than 30000 over the whole day. Does it mean every one of them will vote No? Probably not but I saw the FM there, so at least he appreciates our armed forces.
    Forum Member
    I'm sure there were many thousands of fellow Scots there, probably more than 30000 over the whole day. Does it mean every one of them will vote No? Probably not but I saw the FM there, so at least he appreciates our armed forces.

Yeah probably.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    yep.

How do you know that figure is a lie?

Were you there?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Millie Cat wrote: »
    How do you know that figure is a lie?

Were you there?

i have looked at pictures, none of which have shown anywhere near to 35,000 in attendance.

I'm perfectly willing to admit I am wrong, if anyone can provide evidence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You also have to ask does it really matter? Most folk aren't interested one way or the other.

I always like the way you seem to think your demographic profile is most folk when in reality I suspect that you don't actually represent most folk. I suspect most folk really can't be bothered by independence.
    Forum Member
    I always like the way you seem to think your demographic profile is most folk when in reality I suspect that you don't actually represent most folk. I suspect most folk really can't be bothered by independence.

I don't think the majority of folk are concerned about Armed Forces Day. On occasions like the Olympics, the Jubilee, Royal Wedding etc it's evident that people are bothered and engaged in the event. Armed Forces Day isn't something that most folk bother about, simple as that. With regard to demographic profile I would hope I represent myself . . . . almost as much as you do. :)
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    yep.

So as you weren't there and you dispute the word of someone who was and the police and the media which organisation would you believe bearing in mind you have provided no evidence to support your argument simply repeating your own opinion?

Which unsurprisingly isn't impartial.

So where is your fact checking?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggertiny wrote: »
    So as you weren't there and you dispute the word of someone who was and the police and the media which organisation would you believe bearing in mind you have provided no evidence to support your argument simply repeating your own opinion?

Which unsurprisingly isn't impartial.

So where is your fact checking?

i would not believe ANY organisation

I would believe a picture from ANY source.

i understand it might be difficult to photograph all 35,000 at once, so even a photo with 10,000 would convince me

i regularly attend ticketed events that announce attendance figures, so I know what 10,000, 30,000 or 60,000 looks like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thms wrote: »

Another day and another link to another pathetic attempt to denigrate something because it doesn't suit your agenda.

Why would it even matter if a million had attended Armed Forces Day? Also, as a lot of the comments said, how can you even tell when the photos were taken.

Do you not get fed up with pushing your propaganda all day long?
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the 'crowd' behind princess Anne was of an almost solid 1 line deep mass -- why was this?
    Forum Member
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Another day and another link to another pathetic attempt to denigrate something because it doesn't suit your agenda.

Why would it even matter if a million had attended Armed Forces Day? Also, as a lot of the comments said, how can you even tell when the photos were taken.

Do you not get fed up with pushing your propaganda all day long?

:D From someone with 1920 posts in this one thread that is a good one.

But I would refer you back to this one - although biased the poster explains his viewpoint. On one of the comments there is a link to a photo of 35000 to show the difference.
This discussion has been closed.